But not too challenging, either, as I intend to sing it as well, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm tired of covering nirvana and the like, while creative, its repetitive and all blends into one song, it seems.
try Hurt by Johnny Cash

But dont you even DARE post a video of you performing it on youtube.

Have a look at Ripple by Grateful Dead.

Oooh, and the acoustic version of Paint It Black by rolling stones.
i tried to learn hurt bu can't seem to keep the vocal melody flowing throughout.

I'll take up the other suggestions though.
As resident Heart fanboy, I'm obligated to give recommendations for "Crazy On You" and the acoustic version of "Barracuda."
Go oldies. A ton of people don't listen to them on a regular basis as if they don't like them, but trust me, when you start playing them, people will listen attentively. Almost all of the songs I learn are finger-picking. Try these:

Beatles:

Blackbird
Yesterday
Julia
While my Guitar Gently Weeps
Mother Nature's Son
Dear Prudence
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Rocky Raccoon

Also, learn Something (Anthology 3 demo version). It may be strumming, but it's too good to pass up.

And a lot of others

Kansas - Dust in the Wind

Led Zeppelin:

Stairway to Heaven
Going to California
Babe I'm gonna Leave You

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

Extreme - More than Words

And Yes, Cash's cover of Hurt too.
+1 for Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

In fact, get a copy of Clapton's MTV unplugged album and listen to it over and over again...great starting point for learning acoustic songs.

Also +1 for Fleetwood Mac - Lyndsey Buckingham is one of the most underrated guitarists out there...

Totally agree with DrummerofGod89 above but also try Jack Johnson and Eva Cassidy (to name just two) also for more modern/younger audiences.

HTH.
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
Short, but Belle by Jack Johnson, it still kinda chords, but it's not. Check it out. That or Constellations by him if you really want something.
Pretty much every acoustic Jethro Tull song (Yes, I'm gonna recommand Tull songs everywhere. People here gotta start playing their songs)

Try:
Mother Goose
Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day
Only Solitaire
Requiem
Thick as a Brick
Wondring Aloud
i know a really easy one, but i havent got a clue if you like it but anyway
it's 'My heart is the worst kind of weapon' and it's really easy play and sing! =D
best things to sing and play :

mama said -metallica
broken - seether
hotel californa- eagles
nothing else matters- metallica
tell me baby - red hot chilli peppers
under the bridge- red hot chilli perppers
GET OUTTA MY HEAD - INTWINE
happy?- intwine
save tonight - eagles eye cherry (or smthinglike that)
far away - nickelback
ROCKSTAR- NICKELBACK

all amazing sings, and not advanced
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
if you want to sing and play a song thats not to hard .. you should play a song where there is a progression that plays over and over .. for example no woman no cry from the fugees .. or howie day collide .. or you can just take a song you know already .. and just make picking patterns for the chords which spices things up =D
Dave Matthews songs. There's another thread about it. He uses a lot of unusual chords combined with picking single notes in his rhythms. I learned a bunch of these and it really helped me go from just being able to play chords to being able to play more advanced stuff.
If you have a capo, try Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah. It's really fun to play.

Also:
A bunch of David Bowie stuff (Starman, Ziggy Stardust, and The Man Who Sold the World are good ones)
Swing Life Away by Rise Against
Blue in the Face by Alkaline Trio
Indian Moon by State Radio (if you don't know it, go listen. Amazing song)
kill all humans
I think Funky Monks by RHCP would be good for you, if you like that stuff.
Also I've Been Down by RHCP but that might be tough to find and download. (It was sung by Flea on the album, Basketball Diaries soundtrack)

I always seem to suggest Hotel California by Eagles but it is a great song.

Check out the band Slightly Stoopid and especially their album "Closer to the Sun" (My avatar) There is some great acoustic stuff on there.

Check out Neil Young as well, he uses alot of alternative tunings.

Dave Matthews is just "The God of Acoustic Guitar"

"Girl" and "A Day in the Life" are great acoustic Beatles sonngs.

Hope that can help you