Hello. I've been playing guitar for just over a year now, for the majority of it I've just messed around learning songs and riffs which now I'm getting abit bored of and want to make some of my own stuff up. To give you an idea of what level im at I can d hammer on's/pull off's, bends, harmonics, slides palm muting, alternate picking and basic open chords . I normaly play deftones or music similar to that.

The problem is I find it hard just to create good riffs out of nothing, I haven't learnt any theory. I'm guessing alot of people will tell me to learn scales which I've looked at and can't really see how that would help so if anyone could explain that would be good, or just give me any advice at all, thanks.
Exactly, just mess around with different chords, picking, etc. If you want, just record yourself playing for ten minutes or however long you feel like, and if you feel anything has potential, just pick it out and develop it. Start out with something simple, like a progression of powerchords, and your playing will naturally develop and become more complex over time.
learn some theory, then jam. Its easeir to find the sound u want that way.
Quote by Addy!

The problem is I find it hard just to create good riffs out of nothing, I haven't learnt any theory. I'm guessing alot of people will tell me to learn scales which I've looked at and can't really see how that would help so if anyone could explain that would be good, or just give me any advice at all, thanks.

if you understand notes and chords and scales, riffs and stuff will be easy as **** to come up with
just dick around and see what notes flow, then just keep playing them differently and you got a riff
I'm gonna really recommend learning some scales. After you have a couple, you'll be creating your own riffs in no time!
Ok, I'm going to argue the other side of what everyone else is saying. Learn your theory, the more theory you know, the easier writing music is. I know a lot of people on here will tell you that theory gets in the way of the passion and all that fun stuff, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Theory is knowledge, and knowledge is never a bad thing. Music theory is just the knowledge of how things work, and they are gonna work that way whether you know it or not.
Quote by Addy!
Any scales in particular I should be looking at?

Major, Minor and Minor pentatonic are the most common ones, and would be a good starting point.

Quote by lumpy890
Ok, I'm going to argue the other side of what everyone else is saying. Learn your theory, the more theory you know, the easier writing music is. I know a lot of people on here will tell you that theory gets in the way of the passion and all that fun stuff, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Theory is knowledge, and knowledge is never a bad thing. Music theory is just the knowledge of how things work, and they are gonna work that way whether you know it or not.

Agreed. One of my friends doesn't know much theory, but when ever he shows me something he's written, its always from a scale I know and could have been written faster if he had known the scale.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
1. Make sure your in tune , ( I hear that really helps..)
2. Play around.
3. if you like something, WRITE IT DOWN, or if you know what you're doing, us Powertabs or Guitar pro..
the rest usually figures itself out as you play it. Have fun

Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Major, Minor and Minor pentatonic are the most common ones, and would be a good starting point.

Agreed. One of my friends doesn't know much theory, but when ever he shows me something he's written, its always from a scale I know and could have been written faster if he had known the scale.

^^True, true.^^

Pentatonic scales are better for solos and stuff.
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
Last edited by Bloodoath at May 24, 2008,
Quote by lumpy890

knowledge is never a bad thing, but it is a burden. learn some scales and stuff , but dont spend to much time learning theory etc. that you cant realize how to apply it... i know dudes and chicks that can recite scales but have no idea how to apply it in a entertaining way... learn to play what you like over anything else.
come up with a weard sentance like my cat eats barf and ****s on the table,them make your guitar say it. you can come up with some cool stuf doing that.
Quote by crackereast
come up with a weard sentance like my cat eats barf and ****s on the table,them make your guitar say it. you can come up with some cool stuf doing that.

Paul Gilbert *cough*
yeah the sacle stuff helps but in the end your still just gonna have to sit down and make your own riffs and stuff to your song by what sounds good to you so theres really no easy way