i have recently started to learn how to sweep pick and i have just mastered the co-ordination between both hands. I started to sweep basic 3 string arppegios and they turned out fine but when i started trying 5 string sweeps i can't do it with out pulling off with my fret hand on to the open string, so it sounds horrible.

is there any way of making it sound clearer?

is it my technque or my equipment?
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
im having the same problem, just keep practiceing

Start as slowly as it takes to get it clean, then build it up gradually with a metronome
Well what does

I can't do it with out pulling off with my fret hand on to the open string mean?
i don't know, thats what i am asking lol
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
all i mean is that i can't get a clean sweep because i am getting too much noise off the open strings
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Quote by lukeuh36azabc
all i mean is that i can't get a clean sweep because i am getting too much noise off the open strings
Thats weird, do they require string skipping or something?

It sounds like you're hitting the notes as if there a chord or something, you are rolling you're fingers right?
theres no string skipping or any thing and i am rolling my fingers as i have been told to
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Quote by thec0dy
What arpeggio is it?
I might be able to help there

it's just a basic 5 string major triad shape
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Quote by thec0dy
Thats weird, do they require string skipping or something?

It sounds like you're hitting the notes as if there a chord or something, you are rolling you're fingers right?

I think he means when he switches strings his finger pulls off and the string rings open.
Quote by blueriver
I think he means when he switches strings his finger pulls off and the string rings open.

yeah thats exactly what i mean

do u have any tips?
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Quote by blueriver
I see, well I read once that using the palm of you're picking hand to kind of mute the note works, Not a palm mute but just barely kind of touch the note you just played. Its what I usually do
I use my right hand to mute a couple of the strings on the way down but i am pretty new to sweeps so you might want to wait until someone better at them replys
people use the search bar there is a whole thread dedicated to sweep picking ("the only sweep picking thread"), you will find the answer to all your problems there.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

It's never the equipment.
Unless you've got a broken guitar, you can't get it perfect until it sounds perfect unplugged.
Start slow, use a metronome, and use right hand muting and/or finger rolling. It's never, ever your equipment.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I suggest practicing by doing light pull off that mute the string and then fretting a note two strings up or down without sweeping, so you can focus on your left hand.

Also sometimes it really is your equipment, but that's pretty rare and very very obvious, so if you have to ask, no it isn't your equipment.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Dont use too much distortion, use your palm on the way down to CATCH the string, NOT to mute the string, keep your palm as close to the strings as possible but NOT on the strings. On the way up its the same thing, only its the part of your hand about an inch below your little finger that catches the string. usually most people get a circular motion for this.
wow thx for your replies i'll try them all out
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Before you start doing 5 strings, do 4 strings. I'm learning how to sweep pick as well, and that's what i did. Keep going up a string.