can anybody tell me how to change mode say from aeolian (minor) to phrygian without making the song i'm writing sound crappy? should i add a riff as a transition or just jump straight to the root note of the new mode?
x to y, trying to change the tonality of the music, but (if possible with out going crazily chromatic) i might try x to x in another song
Between what scales are you trying to change? (fill in X and Y with notes).

X to X is an easier and more common transition.

X to Y is more complex, so I'll need to know what you're doing. I want to use the Black Sabbath song "War Pigs" as an example. Are you familiar with the song?
trying to change from d minor to whatever in phrygian (because it sounds heavy)

and yes im familiar with the song (its really good)
Really depends on the chord progression........
-------------------------
Ibanez JS 1000
USA Jackson DNKY
EPI LP ltd
VOX VTX120
EPI Valve jr
and a bunch of pedals
You would be trying to switch to A Phrygian (good to know that).

However, you're better off using D Phrygian if you're trying to get a heavy sound. A Phrygian contains the same notes as D minor, so it will most likely sound like you're playing around with A-based licks and will eventually get back to D, rather than really switching to A Phrygian.

X to X "mode changes" are extremely common. This is the sound you're going for.

As for the switch, I'd need to know the Dm riff proceeding the D Phrygian section to actually help you, but tactfully introduce an Eb note or Eb5 chord.
ok thanks for that, do you know where i should try and place the Eb in the lick/riff because i ain't exactly using a chords or a specific progression?
well the song is in drop d so its like this

D|------3-2-------5-3-------7-|5--------8-7------10-8-------|
A|-------------------------------|---------------------------------|
D|0000----0000-----0000---|--0000-----0000------0000|

D|12
A|8 sixteenth notes
D|8

G| G|5
D|3 D|5
A|3 x8 A|3 x8
D|3 D|

hope that helps, thanks very much
Quote by liam1107
can anybody tell me how to change mode say from aeolian (minor) to phrygian without making the song i'm writing sound crappy? should i add a riff as a transition or just jump straight to the root note of the new mode?

There really are no rules about when to change mode. Use your ears and judge for yourself whether something works or not.

If you want to get a better perspective on modes, its helpful to hear what other composers have done with them.
alot of people read about modes online and then try to write with them without actually hearing them used in a piece of music. That usually doesn't work out so well because you need some musical context..... you need to hear and understand what composers have already done with modes to get an idea of how to use them yourself.

It would also help to have a solid background in the theory. If you understand and can write well using the Major and minor scales, you well be better equipped to handle modes.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2008,