So yeah, I've been checking around and stuff and I see that all these ska/punk bands are doing some headlining on some big events. In particular, The Bamboozle. Now believe me, I've never really liked Bamboozle before but I was looking at the line-up and bands such as Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, Less Than Jake, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Suburban legends and some other bands were on the main stages. I was pretty shocked seeing how ska kinda had the sh** beaten out of it since basically after 1999. I've seen last years warped contained some good ska bands also on some main stages.

It probably wont make a full recovery but IMO people are slowly starting to get an ear back again.
Quote by BluesLP1990
Skamageddon!

Quick! RUUUN!!
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by Jhay_Dee
Didn't Ska die in the 80's?

Yes, and then whiney Pop Punk Californians brought it back. Unfortunately.

/ska elitist
as soon as LTJ's new album comes out, the one that's more LTJ-roots-y, ska will be back full-force.

hopefully?

i'm starting another ska band this summer. telecasters and stratocasters have inspired me to get back into it. clean tones, baby.
_______
|||||||||||||||
I've always liked it. Streetlight, Catch 22, RBF, etc.

Very cool stuff. Even if it "dies out" in the mainstream....that doesn't mean you have to stop listening to what you like
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
yah if you look hard enough here in the bay area you can find a few good ska bands if you try hard enough
me and a friend even started a facebook group that we update with upcomming ska shows around bay area californiam ill post it here if anyone wants me to
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by sugar_daddy

the toasters have really kept the third wave going in that they've stayed really true.

listen to "Pendulum". Such good stuff!

yeah, ska has definitely still been going, but there is just such a shortage of good albums being released.

Chris Murray also is worth checking out. Former vocalist of King Apparatus, now a one-man band.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Ska was never dead, it just became more underground.

Anyway, I was surprised to find that a ska band I like (Random Hand) are playing Reading & Leeds Festival this year. I also saw Sonic Boom Six in NME, which I found surprising, and have noticed a few ska/punk based gigs in London lately.

But ska was never dead, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, and No Doubt are still going strong (yeah, I know, mainstream examples).
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Punk and ska forum, perhaps? The first wave style of ska is pretty much dead now, there's still a bit of 2-tone. Most of it is now 3rd wave ska with heavy pop-punk influence.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
There were a ****load of ska style 3rd wave bands in Britain/England from 2000 to 2003, or 4? Then it all went tits up. People started doing the hair thing, the studded belts, the.. my..spaces.....

Check these out -

Farse
Capdown
Lightyear
No Comply
Howards Alias
Adequate Seven (not ska, similar scene)

and so on...

Trivia - Farse disbanded and formed a variety of metalcore bands, a few of which are terrible. The singer is a hairdresser in brum (where they are from).
Last edited by Jackolas at May 24, 2008,
Quote by break-me-in
Ska was never dead, it just became more underground.

Anyway, I was surprised to find that a ska band I like (Random Hand) are playing Reading & Leeds Festival this year. I also saw Sonic Boom Six in NME, which I found surprising, and have noticed a few ska/punk based gigs in London lately.

But ska was never dead, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, and No Doubt are still going strong (yeah, I know, mainstream examples).

Rofl @ mainstream ska?
Quote by break-me-in

uhh...

Sublime is still going?

No Doubt is not ska anymore.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Mainstream ska doesn't exist if you ask me. Those 3 bands just represent the more well known bands.
Quote by dannyisokay
as soon as LTJ's new album comes out, the one that's more LTJ-roots-y, ska will be back full-force.

hopefully?

i'm starting another ska band this summer. telecasters and stratocasters have inspired me to get back into it. clean tones, baby.

YES, new LTJ album! They're out of there major label contract so they can do whatever they want! I odnt know about full-force but, it'll be out there again hopefully!
The only Ska band around right now worth listening to is the Slackers.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
The only Ska band around right now worth listening to is the Slackers.

Well with an attitude like that no wonder it's not doing so well.

More trivia - LTJ can't compare to the bands I listed back page.
I really hope the new less than jake record will be more like Pezcore. Anyways, third wave is one of the genres I listen to the most. Go ska!
Ska is making a comeback

I saw Big D and the Kids Table with Random Hand and Sonic Boom Six last night

I like old ska and new ska

I'm gonna see The Toasters this summer, as well as a bunch of ska bands at Reading
Quote by Jackolas
Mainstream ska doesn't exist if you ask me. Those 3 bands just represent the more well known bands.

That was what I was trying to refer to. I mean, they're mainstream in comparison to The JB Conspiracy or even Streetlight Manifesto.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by filthandfury
Ska is making a comeback

I saw Big D and the Kids Table with Random Hand and Sonic Boom Six last night

I wanted to see them in Glasgow last sunday, but it was an 18+
Quote by break-me-in
That was what I was trying to refer to. I mean, they're mainstream in comparison to The JB Conspiracy or even Streetlight Manifesto.

This is a popular local ska/reggae band called Staylefish that is on the rise and tours across Canada and even some states. Don't be fooled by the MySpace link because they just use the site for hosting...
http://www.myspace.com/staylefish

I think its definitely on the rise.

PS: I recommend rebel rider
I love ska with a passion. Although some songs seem to sound the same as others. Nevertheless, it never fails to lift a monotone day into a gigantic cockfest!
HI GUYS!
Quote by richiemokkiez
I love ska with a passion. Although some songs seem to sound the same as others. Nevertheless, it never fails to lift a monotone day into a gigantic cockfest!

True, but there are cliché's to all genres.
Quote by J6strings21fret
So yeah, I've been checking around and stuff and I see that all these ska/punk bands are doing some headlining on some big events. In particular, The Bamboozle. Now believe me, I've never really liked Bamboozle before but I was looking at the line-up and bands such as Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, Less Than Jake, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Suburban legends and some other bands were on the main stages. I was pretty shocked seeing how ska kinda had the sh** beaten out of it since basically after 1999. I've seen last years warped contained some good ska bands also on some main stages.

It probably wont make a full recovery but IMO people are slowly starting to get an ear back again.

There's a ska forum.
Well . . . Ska-P got back together again and the slackers are still around so there is still hope.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.