So... I want to upgrade my amp, towards a great metal-sound, and I was wondering how I could possibly upgrade it in the best way...

Ive come up with these suggestions:

10band EQ?
New/other tubes?
Another speaker?

But which? if any
Quote by IbanezPsycho
OD Pedal, Noise gate, EQ pedal and your pretty much set... Ohh and a new speaker couldnt hurt...

Meh, dont you think I'd be sterlizing my beautiful tube-gain with a OD-pedal?

Noise gate is a really good idea though!
Quote by xFilth
Meh, dont you think I'd be sterlizing my beautiful tube-gain with a OD-pedal?

Noise gate is a really good idea though!

How is a OD pedal going to sterilize your amp it pretty doesnt color your tone at all....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
How is a OD pedal going to sterilize your amp it pretty doesnt color your tone at all....

I dunno, thats why Im asking you
Quote by xFilth
I dunno, thats why Im asking you

My appoligies thought it was a statement lol

OD pedals generally dont color sound, if they do its very little. What you want to do is get an OD put the level at 10 and the Gain at 0. And sit that on top of your gain channel. It will tighten things up and add a bit of gain to the mix by pushing your preamp tubes a little harder. On some amps it a night and day difference, i know on my Ultra it can really tell the difference. Anytime i switch from clean and forget to turn on my OD im like what the hell did my tubes go out this doesnt sound right. Then look down..... Ohh forgot to turn on the OD...

The EQ pedal is just to further tweak your existing tone and add or subtract those freq's you like or hate.

A Vintage 30 is a excellent upgrade over the Sheffield and they love metal.

And the noise gate is to keep everything quiet... Im always suprised when i turn mine off how much stuff it kills...
Sweetness! Does the quality of the pedal matter much if you dont even use the gain?

Thank you
Quote by xFilth
Sweetness! Does the quality of the pedal matter much if you dont even use the gain?

Thank you

Not really but i know some dont push out as much level as others. Example I owned a Tubescreamer and then modified Tubescreamer and put it up against as Bad monkey i purchased. It actually killed the Tubescreamer when it came to the level amount and tightness it could achieve. Now that said for clean/blues work id take a Tubescreamer anyday.

Only issue i have with the BM is you can tell if you gigged with it, i dont think it would hold up very long. But for bedroom type stuff its an amazing product and cheap as hell...
Quote by xFilth
I wonder if its worth diggin up my old MT-2 to try

It'll work there is like one or two guys on there that swear buy it... Havent tested it but in theory it should work fine but it might color your tone a bit more then a OD.
Sweet, Ill try it tomorrow, when the entire house isnt asleep

On a sidenote, how do you like your decimator? Worth spending that amount on a NG or just go with, say the boss for half the price?
I have one as my back up / travel amp. It has a V30 in it and i run a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. I don't recomend a V30 in it at all, its way bright in the XXX as it's pretty bright it's self. It will work, but Im looking for diff speaker at the moment for mine ( Its not that I dont like V30s- I have a Mesa 412 + Avatar 212 with em.) I find it quite treby too. The efx on it are pretty damn good! Enjoy your XXX it's a great little amp.
What speaker might be a good alternative for the Sheffield instead of the V30?
The XXX does not need an overdrive pedal. These amps have tonnes of gain and output.
If you want to tighten up your sound buy a BBE Sonic Stomp and run it through the effects loop. XXX's love those pedals. An eq pedal will also let you zero in on those highs and lows so they can be properly adjusted.
Also, the stock speaker works well with the XXX. You can swap it if you want for something like a GT12-75, but it's not necessary.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION