I was at GC today testing out a few od/boost pedals. I tested the TS9, SD-1, and BBE Green Screamer. They all sounded good, but they didn't really add much of anything to the tone of my amp.

What I want to know is honestly, why do people rave about OD pedals and stuff? I mean, from what I could tell it just added volume and gain.

BTW I knew what I was doing. I'm not a gear noob, so no noob flaming plz.

Also, if anyone could suggest a different pedal for me to try, go right ahead. I'm looking for something to improve the TONE that comes out of my amp, not just add volume or gain.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
What amp were you using the pedals with?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
OD pedals are for people who dont want there tone effected... Most use them for blues stuff on the clean channel or to boost there line level a bit and tighten up there mix for metal. Also thats what an overdrive does it Overdrives your gain and volume aka tubes... If you running and ss amp its really not going to do much...

And whats wrong with the tone, more info would help us determine what you are looking for...
I tested the pedals on a BJ, a Blues Deluxe, and an AC15.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

At home I have a Traynor YCV20. The cleans on it are amazing but the gain is pretty unusable. It just sounds like a bad fuzz at any high levels.

As far as tone, even though my amp has two channels, I will most likely be using only the clean channel because it sounds 100x better than the lead channel (as I said above).

I want to have an "ultimate" clean, tubey, dynamic tone to build on. Then add layers of distortion/effects depending on what I am playing.

Its hard to describe, because I want to sound like me, and I can't give you an example tone.

I'm just kinda confused about the point of all the ODs that I have heard so much about. I tried them all with gain min, level max, gain max, level min and everything in between, and to me it just sounded like it added gain and volume.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
At home I have a Traynor YCV20. The cleans on it are amazing but the gain is pretty unusable. It just sounds like a bad fuzz at any high levels.

As far as tone, even though my amp has two channels, I will most likely be using only the clean channel because it sounds 100x better than the lead channel (as I said above).

I want to have an "ultimate" clean, tubey, dynamic tone to build on. Then add layers of distortion/effects depending on what I am playing.

Its hard to describe, because I want to sound like me, and I can't give you an example tone.

I'm just kinda confused about the point of all the ODs that I have heard so much about. I tried them all with gain min, level max, gain max, level min and everything in between, and to me it just sounded like it added gain and volume.

The issue is most people use them as a boost/tightener to an already gain heavy amp which is what your hearing on the forums. If your amp has no gain there is only two options, distortion pedal or another amp heavier on the gain side..
I think I might just get the SD-1 and use it in place of the lead channel on my amp.

I figured out what to compare my amp to btw. The cleans are very vox-like, but a little beefier, which is why I love them. The "fuzz pedal" analogy for the lead channel on my amp was a little misleading. It sounds like an overdriven Bassman, which isn't necessarily a bad tone, I just have no use for it.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
I think I might just get the SD-1 and use it in place of the lead channel on my amp.

I figured out what to compare my amp to btw. The cleans are very vox-like, but a little beefier, which is why I love them. The "fuzz pedal" analogy for the lead channel on my amp was a little misleading. It sounds like an overdriven Bassman, which isn't necessarily a bad tone, I just have no use for it.

Yea sounds like a typical low gain amp. One thing you can try is an old dimebag trick... Get you an eq and make a frown face boosting the hell out of the mids. Then take the mids out on the amps eq. Run an od pedal level 10 and Gain 0-3. And some hot pickups. That will hit the preamp stage with everything you got. If that doesnt do it then theres not much hope.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea sounds like a typical low gain amp. One thing you can try is an old dimebag trick... Get you an eq and make a frown face boosting the hell out of the mids. Then take the mids out on the amps eq. Run an od pedal level 10 and Gain 0-3. And some hot pickups. That will hit the preamp stage with everything you got. If that doesnt do it then theres not much hope.

yeah I've played around with EQ pedals a bit and they do make a huge difference. I'll give that a try.

Also, is there any theory behind boosting the mids through the pedal and cutting them through the amp, or would vice-versa have the same effect?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

no visa versa would not work sorry. that would just be like boosting them normally.
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
I'm not a fan of the SD-1 or the TS9 (I like the TS808 though...) and I've never played the BBE, but there is usually some tonal contribution made by an OD. Some that I've tried have had a huge tonal impact, the Butler Tube Driver gives a violin like quality to the sound, the Barber Direct Drive gives a Dumble-ish vibe, a good germanium fuzz will always sound like a good germanium fuzz, etc.

If you have a particular sound in mind, I think you just need to try more ODs really.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by USAPeavey
yeah I've played around with EQ pedals a bit and they do make a huge difference. I'll give that a try.

Also, is there any theory behind boosting the mids through the pedal and cutting them through the amp, or would vice-versa have the same effect?

Your basically throwing more DB/line level at the preamp section and then you can take those freq's out with the on board eq. Doing it backwards your not pushing the amp any harder you just adjusting the eq. The addition of DB is whats driving it.
OD is pretty much a super booster. i use it with distortion, makes it mopre trebly for lead. zakk wylde uses the od with amp distortion. then it improves tone. OD is like playing clean with a little level and boost basically. TS-9. get an analogman or keeley modded ts-9.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'll try the EQ trick I guess, but I think I'll also look into getting a tube overdrive. I've heard a lot about Radials Tonebone series.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

The original poster is right. OD pedals just add output to your signal. They aren't pushing your amps preamp tubes into glorious molten tube heaven. OD pedals do the same thing on SS amps as they do on tube amps, which is simply add output your preamp. This often thins out your tone a bit and adds some edge and presence. That's it.

I've boosted the front end of amps for modern metal tones a lot. Then I decided I didn't want to have to rely on a $50 OD pedal to get the tone I desired from my amp. Especially a quality amp. So I found an amp that doesn't need an OD pedal to add tighness or response.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION