Well, not literally, but when I play my Peavey Valveking 112 combo it will start smelling like fire and the tubes will be glowing in a bright orange inferno and it looks like they spark inside.

Whats wrong and what do I have to do to fix it?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I'd watch out, mine done that (212), and the next day it blew. Go get it checked out.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Is that why it's on sale? :P

But yes, that doesn't sound good, it'd be best to get it checked out.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by marshmellow666
i got rid of my tube amp and got a vox valvetronix

i'm much happier now

Well, great success.. Hope your happy with that.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by TheShred201
If the tubes were glowing oddly, there could be something wrong with the tubes or an improper bias. Go get it checked out by an amp-tech.

How could the bias be improper? I have never taken the tubes out, and they're only about a year old.

Quote by tr3nt
How could the bias be improper? I have never taken the tubes out, and they're only about a year old.

tubes usually blows out after a year or two. depends on how much you play with it
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
tubes usually blows out after a year or two. depends on how much you play with it

I suppose, so the symptoms of my tubes are due to likely tube failure soon? And just need to be replaced?

mine did that and then the output transformer blew up, the tubes where still fine (i had them tested) that's one of the main reasons why I don't recommend the VK to anyone.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
mine did that and then the output transformer blew up, the tubes where still fine (i had them tested) that's one of the main reasons why I don't recommend the VK to anyone.

Intresting i can see that causeing the issue... Haven't heard of it happening yet but i can see that being the culprit.

End result is take into a tech and see what he says...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Intresting i can see that causeing the issue... Haven't heard of it happening yet but i can see that being the culprit.

End result is take into a tech and see what he says...

yeah apparently a lot of the earlier ones either had bad wiring in the power amp or bad output transformers, because I've heard of several cases of this happening.

Last.fm
So is this my problem? I'm asking here and not a tech because I'm $40 in gas away from one.

Quote by tr3nt
So is this my problem? I'm asking here and not a tech because I'm $40 in gas away from one.

it could be the problem, but for an issue like that you really do need to see a tech, because we can't tell what it is without actually taking the amp apart and checking it out.

Last.fm
I guess I'll get over there after school gets out this next week..

I've been itching to try a Gibson SG anyway

Wait could I just test this by using some old (but still usable) backup tubes in it and see if they still get overheated? Or would it need to be biased etc.. They are both 6l6

Okay I put my used backup tubes in it and the same problem occurred, burning smell, on fire looking tubes. ??? :S

This is why I am against all the people who always recommend cheap tube amps liek the Valveking and Bugera. They use cheap components and there is always going to be something in it that will blow on you. Take it in for a service.
I'm not sure how this could have much to do with the output transformer. Does it happen to all tubes, or just the power tubes?
^ Might be a short on the primary somewhere?

All I know is, that that sounds VERY dodgy and needs looking at urgently.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by marshmellow666
i got rid of my tube amp and got a vox valvetronix

i'm much happier now

-999999999999999OHSHI-
I got some good guitars, yo.
Jesus christ. More people seem to have trouble with the Valveking than with the MG or the Spiders.
^well tube amps are higher-maintenance, no matter the amp. they just need service regularly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^well tube amps are higher-maintenance, no matter the amp. they just need service regularly.

Yeah, you need a tube change every other year or so. That's it.
My 6505 had a similar problem, only instead of burning it just blew fuses. Turns out the output transformer was shorted. I'd reccomend taking it to a tech immediately, and not turning it on til you get it back, because you could be doing further damage to your amp by running it with the wrong voltages going everywhere.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Well I guess I'll have to but like I said gas prices are high and I'm like $40 round trip away from a tech.

I guess I might try calling my local television repair guy, he repaired it last time when something was wrong with the fuse, and televisions used to run on tubes. He might know whats up.

Quote by tr3nt
Well I guess I'll have to but like I said gas prices are high and I'm like $40 round trip away from a tech.

I guess I might try calling my local television repair guy, he repaired it last time when something was wrong with the fuse, and televisions used to run on tubes. He might know whats up.

Thats probably why its screwed up.... You dont take a tube amp to your local TV tech....It aint a tv...
The output transformer or power transformer may be running too hot. Touch them and if you cant hold your hand against them for a few seconds then it could be the culprit.
This could happen if the screen current is too high or if the tubes are biased way too hot. Both are easy fixes but shouldn't be done unless you know what you are doing. A tech should be able to fix it for you for less than 50 bucks.
Not taking any online orders.
i'm getting the same problem with my laney if i turn the volume up past about 2. well, i haven't seen if the valves are burning like that or not but i do get a burning smell. I got the amp off ebay so i have no idea how old it is, but it apparently has the original valves, you think this could just be a sign that they need changing?

(sorry to hijack the thread like this but if i'd made a new thread its likely somebody would just link me to this one)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.