i know no-one uses it, but brian mays guitar was part oak, and i have a chance to get some 300 year old oak for my guitar build - its really tempting, but i dont wanna waste my money.

any experience with it? any words of advice? any educated guesses?

cheers folks
All old wood is great, except plywood.

I say do it - just know that it'll be pretty damn heavy, but pretty sturdy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
only the fingerboard on the red special was made of oak

edit: and maybe a very small section of the body.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Last edited by jeowy at May 24, 2008,
go for it
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
You dont see guitar companies making bodies out of oak. At least I never have. It would definatly be heavy. Dont know about the tone.
oak is super dense and hard... i would think it would be a poor tone wood.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
I've heard that the reason oak isn't usually used as a tone wood is that it has "no resonant properties" or it resonates at frequencies that aren't musically useful.

I have no firsthand experience, thoguh, so you might as well try it and see how it goes.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
The things I read on it is it has a very narrow resonance freq range. What ever that would entail. But it has very open pores so is hard to fill may not do very well with just clear coat.
The wood you use for your guitar doesn't make as much diffrence as people seem to think. It'll give your tone a small amount of character in my mind. If you dont like it, then any half decent eq system will be able to "phase" it out just fine.

300 year old oak sounds sweet, do it. I love the look of old oak, and old redwood too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Tackleberry
The things I read on it is it has a very narrow resonance freq range. What ever that would entail. But it has very open pores so is hard to fill may not do very well with just clear coat.

I'm thinking that since Oak would be preferable to plywood or MDF or fiberboard + the thinking that the Amp and PUs and electronics have far more impact on your tone, specifically electric guitars, that Oak would be just fine.

I'm just as curious as the next person to discover how this project will turn out; so, my best wishes to CobenBlack!

I suspect it'll be close to amazing, if CobenBlack has the woodworking chops. Good Luck!

A few years late on this one but try birch. lt has a very close resemblance to maple both physically and tonally. Both give you a pronounced high end, and extended sustain. Birch also has a species with a curly figured grain and is very easily mistaken for maple when finished in trans color or stain finishes. The best part is birch is way cheaper.