hello i am getting in to playing guitar and rather then buying an amp I would rather just play through either headphones or computer speakers ect. Im wondering which ones you guys have experience with and how well they work. I have seen the waves iGTR but have heard the effects might be a little weak. I dont need anything crazy but i would like to be able to get a smooth sound. Im pretty much obsessed with The Cure so thats all i play. I would like to be able to get a sound like this if possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBJ1rBAlN8

TIA
I have no experience with the waves, but a couple of decent multi-fx in that price range are:
Zoom G1X
Digitech RP70

I would try one of those out because they are a good way to get an idea of the amp/effects you need to get the tone your after.

A side note: A small tube amp (e.g. Epiphone valve standard, Fender Champ 600) with a chorus and reverb pedal could get really close to that tone with the right guitar/pickups.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
yeah i cant really get an amp though because i go to college and cant take it back and forth.

any other suggestions? it seems like the digitech might be the best out of those two?
Last edited by nickmpower at May 25, 2008,
you can try the g1x... its a newer model so it has more amp models and cool effects on it. but b4 u buy, try browsing them first.
Quote by nickmpower
yeah i cant really get an amp though because i go to college and cant take it back and forth.

any other suggestions? it seems like the digitech might be the best out of those two?

There is also the Line 6 POD series and Behringer V-Amp, although they start in the $100 range. They are probably more adept at PC recording, but the cheaper ones don't come in pedal form and the models sound pretty much the same.

Running through PC speakers, all the processors are going sound pretty much the same. So I would try out as many as I could to see which you prefer.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)