I went to my local guitar shop to put my guitar on lay away yesterday and they asked me to do a Shred Contest they're having sponsored by Gibson. They gave me the CD with the backing tracks and they're about 3:00 long. I don't know if I should write lead over it or just improve over a scale?
Quote by jmilli2
There was a question mark but not a question.

proper grammar in the pit?
blasphemy!

and yeah, a mix would probably be good
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Do something awesome with it and try to win. I'd do something over it.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
if you want to mix tapping and sweeping in there, I'd say write those parts in advance, so you won't have to think 'oh ****, how am i gonna incorporate a sweep in here' while you're improvising. then just improv over the whole thing, and put the sweeps and tapping in there at the appropriate times.

If you're just doing fast licks and stuff, don't write anything. just do a bunch of takes and find the best one.

unless the track was just for you to practice, in which case you'd only have one take. Better hope it's a good one.
Quote by LazySandman
proper grammar in the pit?
blasphemy!

and yeah, a mix would probably be good

I usually always use proper grammer!

If I get 1st I get an Epiphone electric, 2nd Epiphone acoustic, 3rd just some Epiphone gear. 1st and 2nd place go to the regionals. but yeah I'm thinking about making basic lead riffs and elaborating over them. But there's a section that only happens once where I'll incorporate the killswitch and tapping and just all out awsomeness ( Hopefully ).

EDIT : It has to be played live in front of the people.
Last edited by Seef at May 24, 2008,
play it with a strat. that'd be sorta funny.

I fail.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would do a mix, mostly composed, with some improvisation thrown in, also when improvising I would use multiple scales, to keep things interesting.

and try to base it on a full theme instead of a riff, this is shred after all.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Show up in a white mask with a KFC bucket on your head and everyone will just forfeit
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Show up in a white mask with a KFC bucket on your head and everyone will just forfeit

Hahaha I could totally run to KFC and get all that together...

Quote by the humanity
play it with a strat. that'd be sorta funny.

I fail.

I'm going to use my strat! I don't actually have my Jackson... it's at the guitar shop with my name on it and it's sold but I just don't have it yet till I pay one more payment. They'd probably let me use it but I'm not used to it enough.

It's at 6:00 today so I'll post how I do.

I have some decent basic riffs over 2 of the parts that repeat ( I'll elaborate ) and I'll all out shred/tap/killswitch the longest section that only happens once.

I really don't think people will be shredding for the total 3 minutes.
How can you tell what key it is in just by listening to it,.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Quote by SamTotman
How can you tell what key it is in just by listening to it,.

I learned nothing about music theory in my 5 years of playing ( In the process of learning ) so trial and error with notes... you can usually tell which notes will work and then find patterns along the fretboard. Like right now I know which notes to hit and which ones to stay away from.

Quote by Gargantuan
Send me a copy of the CD =)
plz

PM Me you email and I'd be glad to.
Quote by Seef
I learned nothing about music theory in my 5 years of playing ( In the process of learning ) so trial and error with notes... you can usually tell which notes will work and then find patterns along the fretboard. Like right now I know which notes to hit and which ones to stay away from.

Same.

We do know theory though. We just can't explain it in the conventional method.

Edit:

TS, could you upload the backing track to a public source? If not, could I also have it?
Quote by saphrax
Same.

We do know theory though. We just can't explain it in the conventional method.

Edit:

TS, could you upload the backing track to a public source? If not, could I also have it?

There's 8 of them I could have chose from and I have all of em. Where's a place I can upload them? If not I can just send them.
Quote by Seef
There's 8 of them I could have chose from and I have all of em. Where's a place I can upload them? If not I can just send them.

I was rather hoping you could answer that one!

I'll PM an email addy to ya!

Thanks very much!
Just sent them to the 3 people that asked. There is no subject to the message but the tracks are there.
Quote by Seef

I'm going to use my strat! I don't actually have my Jackson... it's at the guitar shop with my name on it and it's sold but I just don't have it yet till I pay one more payment. They'd probably let me use it but I'm not used to it enough.

It's at 6:00 today so I'll post how I do.

But you posted that at 6.58 PM, how can this be posibble?!?!?!?! Unless, of course, you live in one of those strange countries that isn't Britain...

Also, if it's a Gibson shred contest, why are all the prizes epiphone?
Surely that would be a looks-the-same-as-gibson-but-is-much-cheaper-and-also-much-worse-but-tries-to-pretend-it is-just-as-good Shred contest?
Quote by 12345abcd3
But you posted that at 6.58 PM, how can this be posibble?!?!?!?! Unless, of course, you live in one of those strange countries that isn't Britain...

Also, if it's a Gibson shred contest, why are all the prizes epiphone?
Surely that would be a looks-the-same-as-gibson-but-is-much-cheaper-and-also-much-worse-but-tries-to-pretend-it is-just-as-good Shred contest?

It's 2:45 here right now ( USA! )

And this is an open competition for 20 people or less ( any skill level can enter )... the first and second place winners go to regionals where you win actual Gibsons.
I failed! It was pretty much all blues players and I was the only one who picked the track I did. As soon as I saw the amp I almost died... Marshall MG. So I was completely out of my element. The kill switch got a lot of wtf looks and the judges from Gibson said it was cool. I think I did alright but not as well as I could have.
That's a shame, but I'm sure it was fun nonetheless. Any extreme shredz0rz there?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by cobain_is_king
That's a shame, but I'm sure it was fun nonetheless. Any extreme shredz0rz there?

Yeah man, people who have been playing for like 30 years. They were incredible. Very humbling. One guy had the most amazing tapping licks I've ever heard but he didn't win which was a shame.