After being completely against tubes for the longest of time im thinking about getting one just so i cant stop hearing ppl complain about it. I want a small portable, very versatile, loud enough to gig with in a non metal band, and not over a grand or so.

So far ive been pretty dead set on getting a blackheart handsome devil but im also looking at all my options... heres my list so far in no particular order (im aware some arent fully tube, once again im against tubes and that arcane technology in the first place.)

1 Blackheart Handsome devil
2 Fender Super champ XD
3 Vox Valvetronix
4 Fender Blues JR
5 Pignose 40watt tube combo...
6 Johnson 30watt tube combo...

Anymore i should look into? Once again please make it something decently portable, i take the bus and a stack is impossible to transport.
Are you a fan of Mayers tone? He plays a Blues Junior (on Room for Squares, and on his new not yet released album).
Why are you against tubes? :s
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
The blues jr is by far the best option. I don't think it has reverb (correct me if I'm wrong) so get an EHX Holy Grail with it, it'll sound INCREDIBLE.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by rednightmare

They killed his parents.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I love mayers music but i dont pay attention to his tone, especially not that early into his carrer. Good love is on the way is a really almost perfect tone but at the same time i still want alot of versatility for blues country jazz and some pop rock/adult alt stuff

As for carvin, i hate that i cant hear what it sounds like, i can go to the carvin in hollywood but its definatly a treck for me. ill look into it though.
Quote by rednightmare

+10000, Why???
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by rednightmare

Heavy, possibly deadly, stupidly expensive, fragile, problematic when it comes to maintenance and rebiasing and so on, picky about impedance and all that, one failed at a big show i was playing for no aparent reason though luckily it was during sound check and not in the middle of something.

and ppl b****ing about how tubes are automatically better then ss simply cuz their tube.
Quote by cloud_x_13
Heavy, possibly deadly, stupidly expensive, fragile, problematic when it comes to maintenance and rebiasing and so on, picky about impedance and all that, one failed at a big show i was playing for no aparent reason though luckily it was during sound check and not in the middle of something.

Yes, they're heavy, but really only the combos. If you can't carry a head, you're seriously weak.

All amps are possibly deadly, in what way are you meaning here...?

There's TONS of tube amps that are cheap and MUCH better sounding than any SS amp in its range.

They're actually built a lot better and aren't as fragile as half the people on this forum seem to think. If you drop it and it breaks, you deserve to have it break on you.

Learn to bias yourself or get an amp that has a fixed bias. It's not like you'll be doing it every month either way.

Picky about impedances? As far as I know, all amps are.

I still don't understand why you're against them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cloud_x_13

and ppl b****ing about how tubes are automatically better then ss simply cuz their tube.

1. Yeah tube amps are pretty heavy, my 50 watt 1x12 combo weighs 75 pounds
2. Anything is possibly deadly, and you're a thousand times more likely to die while driving to work than by getting electrocuted by your amp.
3. Tube amps are not stupidly expensive, that's just bull.
4. They aren't fragile either.
5. They're easier to fix than a solid state (and many times easier than a digital modeler), and tube replacement and such is piss easy.
6. You have to match the impedances for any head/cab.
7. Any amp can fail at any time, that has nothing to do with whether it's tube or SS, only quality.
8. Only idiots say **** like "this is better just cuz it's tube".

Make sense?

PinkEdit: Bugger...
Quote by cloud_x_13

I can't help but address this first. Solid state amps are just as heavy as tube amps, so that is a very confusing argument. Any electronic (especially an amp) is going to be deadly if you dig around inside it without knowing what your doing: Again, doesn't apply to just tube amps. They are not fragile. I'll site this again: I currently had many of my belongings destroyed by an F4 tornado, but do you know what survived? My tube amp. You have to match impedances with any amp. And rebiasing is not a big issue at all, to me, when you consider the generally better tone. It's about $30 once every year or two (or longer) to let a tech do it, or free and easy to do it yourself. And that's IF your amp needs it. I've seen a good handful of popular amps that don't need adjusting. Forgot to add, tube amsp aren't stupidly expensive. They're not much more expensive than SS amps unless you're going for the ridiculously expensive amps, and are usually better bang for your buck, tone-wise, because that's where SS amps get their bad reputation: the small, cheap practice amps.

EDIT: And apparently this has been well-addressed already.

Now that i have that out of the way. John Mayers tone from Try! and Continuum is great, and one of my favorite things about him. Sadly, you can't really reproduce on a budget at all, haha. The Blues Jr. would be fantastic. So would a Peavey Classic 30.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at May 24, 2008,
FENDER HOT ROD FOR YOU~~!!~~ Deville is good too, but it has less gain.
used: 400 bucks.
oh yeah, and tube maps sound completely different. you prolly already know, but ss is a lot heavier in sound, it gives mre like bassy sound while tube amps give trebly sounds. well, thats from my experience
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by cloud_x_13
I love mayers music but i dont pay attention to his tone, especially not that early into his carrer. Good love is on the way is a really almost perfect tone

I agree. I'm getting pretty close to nailing his tone with my Dumble clone.

The Blues Junior is plenty versatile.
Quote by which ones pink
2. Anything is possibly deadly, and you're a thousand times more likely to die while driving to work than by getting electrocuted by your amp.
5. They're easier to fix than a solid state (and many times easier than a digital modeler), and tube replacement and such is piss easy.
7. Any amp can fail at any time, that has nothing to do with whether it's tube or SS, only quality.

Make sense?

75lbs! Jesus Christ, my 2x12 is only 53lbs.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by rednightmare
75lbs! Jesus Christ, my 2x12 is only 53lbs.

My 5150 weighed 85lbs and was 110lbs when I shipped it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by apak
oh yeah, and tube maps sound completely different. you prolly already know, but ss is a lot heavier in sound, it gives mre like bassy sound while tube amps give trebly sounds. well, thats from my experience

I beg to differ.
Quote by mr_hankey
I agree. I'm getting pretty close to nailing his tone with my Dumble clone.

The Blues Junior is plenty versatile.

Want to send one of those clones my way when you finish it?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
SS is good at lower level, bedroom volume. Anything over 12 o'clock on volume will break up, get muddy and overall sound like crap. Tubes on the other hand, sound better when they get louder. As for failing at a show, it can happen with any amp. Any smart musician knows that they should always carry a back up whether guitar or amp. As for reasons already being said about tubes, I just personally love true tube tone. To each his own though.
Quote by which ones pink

Make sense?

aiya...either way i still hate tube, ive heard the arguments for disagree with them and stick to my thing. give me some tube amps so i can see about them
Quote by apak

That sound that you are hearing on that SS is **** coming through the speakers. Try to tell me that a Spider III is heavier than a Bogner Uberschall, or a Diezel Herbert.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Last edited by FLCLcowdude at May 24, 2008,
Quote by which ones pink

Make sense?

perfectly right except for 7
c'mon you have to admit that blowing a tube does happen, whats going to fail in a solid state?
like tubes are more maintenance don't try to downplay that
and they WILL fail more often than solid states
but its so worth it
(stupid mg..)
oh and from what you're telling us i say the classic 30 ftw
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
What will fail in a solid state? Any of the electrics comes to mind. Short circuits can and will happen.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
omg c'mon
yeah well i've never heard of someones solid state breaking in the middle of a gig
but i've heard of tubes breaking in gigs
lots of times
simply the chances of you're electronics failing compared to the tubes are massively small
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I would have to say SS is more dangerous it tried to kill me 3 times by electricution but I made it through, just made my whole arm num for a couple hours. I switched to tube and havent had that problem since.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by cloud_x_13
After being completely against tubes for the longest of time im thinking about getting one just so i cant stop hearing ppl complain about it. I want a small portable, very versatile, loud enough to gig with in a non metal band, and not over a grand or so.

So far ive been pretty dead set on getting a blackheart handsome devil but im also looking at all my options... heres my list so far in no particular order (im aware some arent fully tube, once again im against tubes and that arcane technology in the first place.)

1 Blackheart Handsome devil
2 Fender Super champ XD
3 Vox Valvetronix
4 Fender Blues JR
5 Pignose 40watt tube combo...
6 Johnson 30watt tube combo...

Anymore i should look into? Once again please make it something decently portable, i take the bus and a stack is impossible to transport.

Dude go foe the vox valvetronix AD100vt or AD50vt combo it sounds sweet!
NICK-NAC PATTY WACK GIVE A DOG A HANDJOB!

The day I see a squirrel masturbating to pictures of other squirrels is the day that we'll lose our human uniqueness.
Quote by cloud_x_13
aiya...either way i still hate tube, ive heard the arguments for disagree with them and stick to my thing. give me some tube amps so i can see about them

I don't understand how you can disagree with things that aren't opinion. Most of your "arguments" aren't arguments at all, they're just falsehoods. Tube amps are heavier? That doesnt even make sense. It seems like you hate tube amps for the simple sake of hating them. That's just as bad as the people who dismiss SS amps without trying them. And you apparently don't hate them that much, you're looking at buying one.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I don't understand how you can disagree with things that aren't opinion. Most of your "arguments" aren't arguments at all, they're just falsehoods. Tube amps are heavier? That doesnt even make sense. It seems like you hate tube amps for the simple sake of hating them. That's just as bad as the people who dismiss SS amps without trying them. And you apparently don't hate them that much, you're looking at buying one.

dude chill, i dont like tubes for listed reasons, its not a friggin politcal debate. I hate gibbys cuz their so friggin expensive, i can afford one but for 2k or so i can get another good quality instrument that will feel and sound just as good (another debate, i know just leave it be). i asked a simple question.

and as for why im getting one, i said the reason was so i didnt have to hear about it when i pull out my gnx4. It pisses me off so bad when tradition overcomes function.
^My point is that many of your arguments aren't arguments at all. They're misconceptions. Anyway, I don't think i'd buy a tube amp just to make other people happy. If you're happy with your tones from SS amps, then screw everyone else.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
how could you do that?
whats there to mess with solid states?
just don't pluck around back there lol
thats what i say
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^Theres plenty to break in a SS amp. They have just as many components as a tube amp. I've seen more broken solid state amps than tube amps. The only difference is, when a tube amp has been "broken," replacing a tube has taken care of it. When a solid state amp has been broken, it's done for. That's just been my experience with them, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by mwalluk
SS is good at lower level, bedroom volume. Anything over 12 o'clock on volume will break up, get muddy and overall sound like crap. Tubes on the other hand, sound better when they get louder. As for failing at a show, it can happen with any amp. Any smart musician knows that they should always carry a back up whether guitar or amp. As for reasons already being said about tubes, I just personally love true tube tone. To each his own though.

While you're right about tube amps sounding better as they get louder (because the power tubes get more saturated), what you say about solid state amps only applies to solid state practice amps, and high wattage crap solid states that use the same circuits as the low wattage version like the marshall MG series. There are some decent solid state amps that will sound good at high volumes, too. Its just like how most PA systems have solid state power amplifiers, and they don't always sound bad, do they?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Most of your "arguments" aren't arguments at all, they're just falsehoods. Tube amps are heavier? That doesnt even make sense.

Actually, from what I've read, tube amps need a lot bigger transformers compared to SS amps, and thus weight more. Solid states do weight less from what I've read, so that point isn't completely false.

Rest of them are, tho (well, for the most part)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
guys this thread isn't about tube vs ss arguments

My vote goes towards the blues junior as well. Its loud enough for gigs, has amazing cleans and is very susceptible towards pedals.
Quote by Fama
Actually, from what I've read, tube amps need a lot bigger transformers compared to SS amps, and thus weight more. Solid states do weight less from what I've read, so that point isn't completely false.

That's true, but to get the same volume from a SS, you'd need to go much higher in wattage. By that time, it's not lighter anymore.