I'm going to start recording my own stuff through my computer so i need recommendations on hardware...opinions?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at May 24, 2008,
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
M-audio.

That was extremely helpful...

Quote by blues-guitarist
I'm going to start recording my own stuff through my computer so i need recommendations on hardware...opinions?

Read the stickies TS. You need a standard mic with XLR connection and you'll want an Audio Interface of some kind.

Also check out the videos I made and Tweaks guide, both linked in my sig.

Its best to know and set a budget then figure out what you will be recording...what instruments. Once you do all that get back to us and we should be able to suggest some specific products.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 24, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
That was extremely helpful...

Read the stickies TS. You need a standard mic with XLR connection and you'll want an Audio Interface of some kind.

Also check out the videos I made and Tweaks guide, both linked in my sig.

Its best to know and set a budget then figure out what you will be recording...what instruments. Once you do all that get back to us and we should be able to suggest some specific products.

I have around $150 to spend but I can probably borrow some money...I'm gonna use it primarily to record voice and my amp with a Gibson LP through an Orange Rocker 30 combo..it'll be cool if you guys can recommend me something i can get at Guitar Center since there's going to be a sale there next week...thanks
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
low budget...but you can work with it.

I suggest an interface such as the M-Audio Fast Track USB along with the Shure SM57 mic.
This mic is nice for the price. You can mic a lot of different instruments with it and it can do vocals but most people use something else for the vocals as this mic needs a lot of gain for vocals.

The 57 doesnt come with any XLR cable so you should get one of those while you are there. I use Live Wire XLR Microphone Cables in my studio.

Reaper or Audacity are good low priced softwares to work with but you also get recording software with your interface. It comes down to personal preference mostly.

also look into the E-MU 0202 interface, they are USB 2.0 and generally thats better to go with.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 25, 2008,
^ That's good advice. For the budget, I don't think you'll get anything better than that.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by moody07747
low budget...but you can work with it.

I suggest an interface such as the M-Audio Fast Track USB along with the Shure SM57 mic.
This mic is nice for the price. You can mic a lot of different instruments with it and it can do vocals but most people use something else for the vocals as this mic needs a lot of gain for vocals.

The 57 doesnt come with any XLR cable so you should get one of those while you are there. I use Live Wire XLR Microphone Cables in my studio.

Reaper or Audacity are good low priced softwares to work with but you also get recording software with your interface. It comes down to personal preference mostly.

also look into the E-MU 0202 interface, they are USB 2.0 and generally thats better to go with.
thanks...i'm currently using a Line 6 toneport and just saw your post on the thread about the differences between the lineport and the M audio...do you think it would be worth buying the M Audio if i have the toneport?
-Homer Simpson
no I really think they are just about the same.
As long as you have an interface you should get fair recording quality.

If you do switch out for a new interface you should save up for a better quality one...probably around the $200 price range.
Quote by moody07747
no I really think they are just about the same.
As long as you have an interface you should get fair recording quality.

If you do switch out for a new interface you should save up for a better quality one...probably around the $200 price range.

alright, thanks man, i'm gonna still buy the mic and cable that you recommended me though
-Homer Simpson