people tell me to buy combo amps instead of a halfstack because i don't need it for giging, but when i suggest combo amps people say they won't be loud enough,

can i get some good advice please?

steve
ok

yes, combo will probably work
but, stack will be WAY better...

am i right?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Haha people were telling me to get a combo but never said it wouldn't be loud enough. And I'm gigging.
Quote by AeroRocker
ok

yes, combo will probably work
but, stack will be WAY better...

am i right?

Not necessarily. Stacks might be more versatile, since you can swap out different cabs and the like, but combos are usually much cheaper for what's usually something different, not necessarily better.

And many combos DON'T have enough volume. 30 watts tube is all you really need unless you're playing reasonably large gigs, though.
so what we've concluded is that people tell everyone something different? that's dumb
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Expensive tube combo > Cheap half stack.
50w tube combo..Can blow up babies...
Expensive tube combo...still cheaper than a ****ty half stack.

U see now???
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
50W combo(tube) is all you rly need(very loud)
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Unless you're selling out arenas you don't NEED a half stack

A tube combo will do just as good and sound 50x better
Quote by LaGrange
Expensive tube combo > Cheap half stack.
50w tube combo..Can blow up babies...
Expensive tube combo...still cheaper than a ****ty half stack.

U see now???

he gets it!

does youe world finally make sense now TS?

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
I always thought you wouldnt even need 30 watts tube because the P.A. system that most places will have, unless your just playing in a backyard. Some microphones can't take the loud volumes of the amp so you have to keep it quiet anyway and get a bad tone. But i doubt if your playing someplace that needs you to have a stack cranked to be loud enough won't have a P.A.
It depends on how big your gigs are. I had the illusion that stacks and half stacks sound way better than combo amps so i bought a ENGL Ritchie Blackmore signature . This seems to be only true when you can put the volume to the max but because the clubs where I gig are so small I can't turn the volume knob till 3 (9 o'clock).

The amp still sounds great tough but a similar valve combo with the volume knob up till 10 sounds much better! So you should only use (half) stacks at greater gigs in clubs that contain 500+ people (or at stadiums of course, if you ever get there).
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
You want good advice...

... **** off, if you are going to be a dick to people that are trying to help you.
you can also do what I did and add and extention cabinet if you need to. If your playing smaller venues.. you dont need to lug around a full stack. My combo is 100w and will blow the doors off almost any place... even without the extention cab.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Are you playing Wacken?

I've gigged with combos without issue.
i retract my statement...for i was wrong
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by black-sabbath
so what we've concluded is that people tell everyone something different? that's dumb

Lol whats up sabbath.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
The Beatles played stadiums with 10W combos. If you have a PA then you don't need to deafen yourselves on stage and break your back on the way in with a stack.
steve as said, it always depends on which combo or stack, tube or solid state, what type of band, venue and what music played.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well you know for starters, you should try posting where the amp wizards lurk... guitar gear and accessories.
Quote by Evadlite
well you know for starters, you should try posting where the amp wizards lurk... guitar gear and accessories.

lawlz!

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
lol my advice?? dont by stuff based off opinions from UG. use our opinions as kinda a wall to bounce off when u cant talk to someone whom you kno and trust. Your final decision should be based off UG < store people < people you trust < your own research. your own research being the msot important. if you try to even make one decision based off info from UG you will never succeed. too many different people who think totally differently

For example, I love my spider

almost everyone else on UG thinks im a nub
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
lol my advice?? dont by stuff based off opinions from UG. use our opinions as kinda a wall to bounce off when u cant talk to someone whom you kno and trust. Your final decision should be based off UG < store people < people you trust < your own research. your own research being the msot important. if you try to even make one decision based off info from UG you will never succeed. too many different people who think totally differently

For example, I love my spider

almost everyone else on UG thinks im a nub

n00b!

I have a 50w tube combo thats rediculously loud.......i can hear it down the street on 2. Thats insane righ there.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
n00b!

I have a 50w tube combo thats rediculously loud.......i can hear it down the street on 2. Thats insane righ there.

lol :P

yea....to be helpful i guess. tube amps are freaking LOUD. i kid you not. the store i hang out in and take lessons from has a 40w 212 bugera, and the walls start shaking when that thing is on like 3 or 4. for my 150w spider to do that it has to be on like 6 or 7.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
A 50 watt tube combo is about as much volume as you will need unless you are gigging HUGE venues.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I would take advice seriously but like a grain of salt. Listen to what people say but dont mistake it for fact. Go to a guitar store and play something you like and that you feel is loud enough.
But like people have already said, 30watt tube is loud enough. I have a 40watt tube and i cant stand how loud it is just playing in my bedroom, and its plenty loud for a gig. I play a lot at my college and it sometimes drowns out everyone else, which imo is no good.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I bought a 100 watt SS half-stack, for the fact that I had a combo, and it just wasn't cutting loudness. So now that I realize that the half-stack is just way too loud, I've decided on buying a 60 watt Engl Fireball, because it just seems like the perfect medium ground.
Another thing that I like about stacks that only few combo's I can get in the area (ridiculous prices) can do, is give a really great low response for my 7 strings, So I've gotta say, hell, get a 50 or 60 Tube head and a 2X12. Seems like the medium ground between a stack and a combo.
i actually have a 100w tube combo, and it is more than loud enough. actually, i think its quite the overkill, but damn its good.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by smb
The Beatles played stadiums with 10W combos. If you have a PA then you don't need to deafen yourselves on stage and break your back on the way in with a stack.

WRONG. The Beatles played with AC30 combos, which are apparently INSANELY LOUD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by steve.
people tell me to buy combo amps instead of a halfstack because i don't need it for giging, but when i suggest combo amps people say they won't be loud enough,

can i get some good advice please?

steve

What you have experienced here on UG is the difference of opinions, as you will experience in all other aspects of life. You need to learn that at some point in your life, someone is going to be against your opinion, thats life.

That's why you should never place "advice" further ahead then "personal experience". Ever.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by jj1565
steve as said, it always depends on which combo or stack, tube or solid state, what type of band, venue and what music played.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can deafen a medium sized pub with my combo on half volume. Funnily enough I jammed with a bloke using a Marshall DSL 50 head and 2x12 cab and it sounded like absolute turd...really brittle, and harsh. In all honesty I think it was more down to crappy EQ'ing on his part and iffy playing though, but it sounded awful next to the other 2 amps which were my Ashdown and a Traynor YCV50. He was also far too loud, I can't begin to imagine how bad those cheap solid state heads must sound at gigging volume, although I did have the misfortune of hearingo somebody play through an Ibanez Toneblaster stack at a gig once and it was utterly atrocious.

It's not about combos or stacks, it's about getting the best-sounding amp with your budget. If that budget is $500 then it's most likely going to be a combo. People always want to know "When can I no longer be considered a noob?" - as far as I'm concerned it's when you no longer feel the need to refer to an amp as a "half stack"...an amp is an amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ listen to steven he knows his stuff.

just try out everything you can get your hands on friend. dont make up your mind before hitting the music stores several times.

dont get your mind set on buying a rear-wheel drive car before you test an few front-wheel and all-wheels. you just may fall in love with a 30 watt tweed.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Maybe off topic. But I was thinking, is an extra set of speakers really gonna matter even if you play an arena? Maybe just for the frontrow but most of the people there are still only gonna hear you through the PA.
^ i think the edge from U2 plays through a 20 or 30 watt fender tweed and playes it on the PA(with staggered mics for chorus)
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
^ i think the edge from U2 plays through a 20 or 30 watt fender tweed and playes it on the PA(with staggered mics for chorus)

Yeah exactly so on that train of thought. Wouldn't the only real advantage of stacks over combo's be ease of transportation (debatable) and more versatility concerning speakers?

possibly more headroom in some cases, but there's always an exception to the rule.