Aloha,

I'm looking for some help with the intonating my guitar. I am aware of how to set the intonation, how to test it etc etc, but I've hit a problem.

I know that if my open note is perfect and my note fretted on the 12th is sharp, I move the saddle away from the bridge to correct this. Problem is, I can't move the saddle any further away, yet the note is still REALLY sharp, I'm talking playing chords high up the fretboard sounds completely out of tune.

I play in Drop C (CDCFAD), and I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. Is this a problem that's a by product of the drop tuning and different gauge strings, or can I correct this with some action/truss rod adjustment? Or is my guitar totally screwed?

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I used the search bar and google for a few nights and found zip, so no "Use The Search Bar" wisecracks

Cheers!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
I actually contacted Dan Erlewine about problems like this (he wrote The Guitar Players Repair Guide) and he said that sometimes you gotta make more drastic measures if you run out of room moving that saddle. Like a bridge move, or filing down some metal on the bridge...things like that. Because the instrument was meant to be in EADGBE, so non-standard tunings really play havok on intonation. He basically said it's an uphill battle.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If I were you, I'd just go to the guitar store to get it fixed.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
what type of bridge? do you have jumbo frets? are you able to fret the other notes at 12, and have them ring out correctly?

on a TOM flipping the saddle can help, if it's pointed at the headstock to start.

on a trem, you'll want a level bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Moe.
How hard do you fret your notes?

Not hard enough to make it as out of tune as it is. The tuning is fine up until about the 8th fret then it just goes bananas!

Quote by BaffAttack
I actually contacted Dan Erlewine about problems like this (he wrote The Guitar Players Repair Guide) and he said that sometimes you gotta make more drastic measures if you run out of room moving that saddle. Like a bridge move, or filing down some metal on the bridge...things like that. Because the instrument was meant to be in EADGBE, so non-standard tunings really play havok on intonation. He basically said it's an uphill battle.

Wow sounds pretty drastic. So there's nothing I can do with regards to altering string gauge, truss rod or action?
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
didnt you read my post?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
what type of bridge? do you have jumbo frets? are you able to fret the other notes at 12, and have them ring out correctly?

on a TOM flipping the saddle can help, if it's pointed at the headstock to start.

on a trem, you'll want a level bridge.

Yeah Jumbo Frets, and it's an Ibanez ZR Tremolo. Some of the strings are almost in tune, the high D (CGCFAD) for example, but my bottom C is horribly out.
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
You can definitely go up gauges. You can lower your pickup height to compensate a bit for "floppier strings" and the magnetic pull messing with tuning a little. There's a ton of non-drastic stuff you can try to "close the gap." But if you do all of those and it doesn't work...well, that's when more modding type work comes in to play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
can you bring the bridge down a bit? ( i mean level it, not adjust action)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
can you bring the bridge down a bit? ( i mean level it, not adjust action)

What do you mean? Can you explain how?
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Trem bridge, or FR? Either way, it's got to do with adjusting the claws underneath or possibly adding springs to add more tension.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Trem bridge, or FR? Either way, it's got to do with adjusting the claws underneath or possibly adding springs to add more tension.

Honestly I don't know the difference! Here is some info on it:

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/index.htm

Scroll down to ZR (Zero Resistance) Tremolo, about halfway down.
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
right, ^ if it's raised (because of the thick strings), level the bridge by adding springs, or tightening the trem screws.

if it's already level, then repost, you can try lowering the action a little or adjusting the neck like said, up there somewhere.

and ZR bridges are a pain, because we get an owner in here from time to time, and i know from madpickin, that there are differences when adjustments are made.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at May 24, 2008,
Oh wow...I have zero experience with those. But it looks to be a modded trem bridge, so you should be able to get it level to the body following instructions for a regular trem bridge.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
So ideally I want to set it up more like this:

?
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Exactly. Start from there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah, if it's lifted. i would need to see yours to say.

not that you need to provide a picture. i just mean, if you can see it's lifted, then yes, level it, like the one in the picture "seems" to be.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok I'll sit with it and see what I can do! Thanks for all the replies folk, I really appreciate it!

VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808