I am going to start playing jazz soon. what pedals would I need?

right now, I have a chorus, phaser (w/ expression pedal), tremolo, and Space Echo (Boss re-issue).

I was thinking about maybe adding a compressor/sustainer. other than that, I should be fine, right?
Hrm...none?

Most jazz players I've heard go pretty much straight up and go for the ultra clean tones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If by Jazz you mean "free-range-noise-experiment" then yes, those all will be just fine. But if your playing jazz, don't use any? Maybe a touch of delay, but even that's a bit frowned on by some people.
Funky c, Funky do
yeah, for most jazz you don't need pedals, maybe a delay and a wah but that's about it.

Also, you'd better have an amp with excellent clean tones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well, Im wanting to have a hugely modded sound. so if I use my chorus, and set the Space Echo for like a slapback, that should be fine, right?
I guess you're gonna be playing like, fusion jazz. If so, yeah, that'll be okay, I'd think. But if you're playing straight up old school jazz, you'd be better off leaving the effects out of it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I play jazz with a band, and blues jams with nothing. Any built-in verb is fine, and sometimes a bit of overdrive for dirty blues, or for funk. Otherwise, clean is what you're looking for.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I'm looking for a Jefferson Airplane meets Mahavishnu type of jazz. Jazz-rock I guess would be the genre. But yeah if it's Django Rienhardt or Sinatra stuff, then yeah dry.
volume pedal is sometimes needed.
2005 MIA Fender Telecaster
Dunlop Hendrix Wah Sig.
Ibanez T-808
Fulltone OCD
Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker
Fulltone Mini DejaVibe
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Boost
50W Kustom Defender