Well....I've been playing guitar for a year 5 months and 30 days (yeh, I counted) And love it, but I've been wanting to get into bass for awhile now, and today I went down to a pawn shop and picked up a bass and amp finaly. nothing to great, just a cheap rogue, and a first act amp, but it works, and I couldn't be happier.

So I was just wandering....any basics I should learn? cuase I've just been learning from tabs. should I read over some lessons on here, or just keep on with learning songs?
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
learn some of the songs you learned on guitar on bass...that'll definitely help since you're already familiar with the song, but u can train your fingers easier. hope that helps
I converted as well just a few hours ago. I imagined myself as being able to just pick up the bass and funk would come out but I realized it'll take alot of practice I'm trying to learn Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers as my first full song. That'd be awesome!
Congrats, and good luck to both of you!
TS, defo go with the lessons here; there's plenty of them, and always ready advice when you need it. GNR's right about starting out on songs you know. More because you already have the feel of the song. So if you get tab for it, you can relate your first faltering steps to what you already know.
Just take your time; it'll take a while to get used to the fretboard and string spacing being that bit bigger. But it's well worthwhile.
As for starting on Aeroplane... ...you're nothing if not ambitious, eh? That's not one of the easier ones!
This is starting to sound like a religious revival....PRAISE THE LAWD, THEY HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!

Keep your thumb behind the fretboard, your fretting arm elbow close to your body. Lessons are good on this site and search the internet for more. Books? Get Hal Leonard's Bass Methods.

Buy a good thick strap. Use it always.

Scales are your best friend. Spider Scales will work your fingers and build speed. A metronome is also essential, use it always (or at least until you can play in the pocket 100% of the time). Play with drum loops or better yet, a real drummer. Play with people better than you.

Learn your chord structure and arpeggio patterns.

Start slow--accuracy and good tone are more important than speed. Speed will come in time.

Listen to all sorts of music. Bass is wonderful in many, many forums. Free your mind and your ass will follow.

You have found the most awesome instrument in the world! You are a bassist, you support the band like Mighty Atlas. Except Atlas never made the booty shake...

Can I get an AMEN!?!

Seriously, welcome to bass. Any other questions, read the FAQ, use your search bar and post up what you need to know...
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
I converted as well just a few hours ago. I imagined myself as being able to just pick up the bass and funk would come out but I realized it'll take alot of practice I'm trying to learn Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers as my first full song. That'd be awesome!

Do not rush straight into slap. It is a fairly advanced technique, and, depite being flashy, isn't often very useful.

Firstly, learn to play with either a pick or fingerstyle. Try both for a while, and see which is more comfortable, and gives the sound you like.

Then, learn proper fretting technique. This is with your thumb on the back of the neck, and using a 4 fret spread with all of your fingers. No wrapping the thumb around like some guitarists. It will only hinder you.

The most tricky thing to do is to start thinking like bassist. Remember it isn't just an oversized guitar. There are plenty of people who say this, but then start playing sloppy fills all over the place. Remember your role in any situation.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So wait...a year, five months and thirty days...so a year and a half?

At ant rate, cheers, bassy brother.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
haha.me converted 2 days ago too...after 4 yrs of guitar

and remember, bass is for guys with bigger rods

truss rods,that is.....
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
lol. I like this wyldeshredder guy. good luck to all of you.

also Anarkee, bass is a religion.
'thou shalt not T-bird' Fitz 4:12
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
"Behringer is thou devil"

=/ Did I do it right?
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Definatly break the thumb wrap around, Im still trying, I catch myself doing it all the time :P and I dont use my pinky enough but, Im sure you dont have that problem, just venting my frustrations *cries*
Quote by FenrirXE
"Behringer is thou devil"

=/ Did I do it right?

yeah, that's Humanity 1:1

you should try to correct it if you squeeze a bunch. Humanity 2:34
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

"Perhaps you'll have some fun tonight, just stick around and take a bite, of life. We don't need feebleness in this proximity."

--St Leslie of Claypool's Epistle to the bass players of California 4:20-21

anarkee, thou art a villian.

and Les Claypool loves me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

aw, don't sig that...
OK....
anyway, the reason I'm here so much right now is because I'm in a duel with Skullbolt in the Ban user above you in the pit.
EDIT:dang he won.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at May 24, 2008,
When I play on the E string (almost said LOW e string ) my thumb tends to wrap around a little. Is that necessary to correct?

In theory, yes. Keep your thumb fixed on the middle of the back of the neck, and don't let it creep around. It will feel horrible at first, but after a while it becomes more natural. And it'll be easier to reach the E string with your thumb anchored.

That said, there are a fair number of talented bassists who do hook their thumb over-John Entwistle is the example I always like to use, because it's absolutely impossible to bitch that he plays any worse as a result. :P But it's generally considered a bad habit and not one to get into.
Holy cow, I've gotten sigged 2 times in this thread.

I'm not that priceless.
eh, maybe I am.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i recently began focusing mostly on bass a week ago, for 11 out of 17 years i have mostly been a lead guitarist but sometimes fiddling with bass when i could. although i tend to fancy the pick style over fingers i aint too shabby at using my fingers, but the weird thing is ironically i can double thumb pretty well, but i asume that has something to do with pick usage from guitar. this feels alot more comfortable with my hands, i have large hands and jazz chords would cramp me up alot if i had alot of Bb chords etc, but the bass gives me more room for my hands to breathe.

oh and to the original topic starter, although all scales could be useful...learn the major and minor scale all over the neck! especially major! hence the word "major"
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!