Hi all.

I have a Big Muf, but I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with its sound: waaay too compressed, no mids, etc. Are there any other good pedals that'll get me the John Frusciante solo sound but not so compressed or flat?
i have a fulltone soul bender and i love it to death, its very versatile although because its got germanium transistors, it tends to be a little finicky depending on the weather.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
definitely get a boss ds-2 turbo! i have one and it sounds AMAZING! i think it is what john uses for most of his solos.
Quote by toasty_alcohol
definitely get a boss ds-2 turbo! i have one and it sounds AMAZING! i think it is what john uses for most of his solos.

Which songs? When I think JFru, I think fuzz before distortion.
Frusciante uses both the Boss DS-2 and EHX Big Muff. I wouldn't say there's a cheaper alternative to the Big Muff when it comes to his tone. He also uses the English Muff'n, but it's more expensive, and all the RHCP leads you've heard (till this year or so I think) have been done with the Big Muff.

I have one too and no problems, I can get very close to his tone.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by toasty_alcohol

while i have both and personally prefer the big muff, the DS-2 does have the mid boost setting (mode II). But i think the DS-2 is just as flat and compressed sounding, if not moreso, than the big muff.

Sounds like i'm slagging off both my distortion pedals here, so for the record, that hard, flat solid sound is exactly what tone i go for. I like my guitar to sound great-wall-of-china-phonic.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Froosh uses the DS-2 for his rhythm, and the DS-2 and Muff for solos.

He uses just the DS-2 for the intro to Slane Castle, and my DS-2 pretty much nails that.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild