Well, I'm planning on getting a multi-effects processor, and I have 2 in mind that I found, but I'm definately open for suggestions, or pros/cons on the 2 I have in mind. The first one is the Behringer X V-Amp ( http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.BHR-X-V-AMP ). The second is the DigiTech RP90 ( http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=66723 ). I'm trying to stay under $100 (I know that sounds cheap but that's about all I can spend right now), but I could probably go up to $150 and still manage. So if you guys think either of these is better, or have a suggestion to a better one within this price range, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

[Hiei3]

EDIT: Also, I'm sorta looking for one that might have the most effects. The DigiTech says "20 Tone and Effects Libraries", but then also says "32 effects models". So I'm not quite sure what that's all implying. The Behringer says "24-bit high-resolution stereo multi-effects processor including first-class stomp box simulations, delay, wah wah, chorus, flanger, reverb, noise gate and compressor effects and many more". So if the number of effects in the DigiTech is based on the "20 Tone and Effects Libraries" part, than the Behringer has more. If it's the "32 effects models" part that I'm suppose to be looking at, then it's the DigiTech that has more. I guess to be simple about it, I'm trying to get the biggest bang for my buck right now. Hope this little (or rather large) edit may have cleared some things up that may have otherwise been unclear.
Last edited by Hiei3 at May 24, 2008,
Obviously, the whole point of getting a multi-effects unit is to stay cheap, but I don't think that means you need to get a cheap one. I really think you should save your money and buy something a lot better. Something like an ME-20, possibly. I don't know how much those run for, but it's not digital like the stuff you're mentioning, and you'll probably get better use of it. I think that's about $200 but I'm not sure. If you really want a good multi-effects unit, look at the ME-50. I have one, and I love it. I get any tone if I tweak it around enough.

The Boss ME-series is good because it's user-friendly, and sounds good. You won't get anything with much quality around $100, when we're talking multi-effects units.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
ME's are nice, but they can't be run direct like the Behringer, Digitech, and Line 6 stuff.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
What do you mean "run directly"?

And aren't pod's those little ones that you can't really switch between effects between a song? Because I need something I can just change in the middle of a song, which is why a Multi effects processor works because I can just use my foot.
Quote by akack
ZOOM G2. 1U. PLEASE. You will not regret it.

Hmm, it does sound better. Those little knobby things on the bottom, are those used to switch between effects w/ your foot?
Just keep saving and get a Boss ME-50, at that price nothing can beat it ( even a gt 10 not.. stupid digitals ****, knobs all the way )
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by metalbaswee
Just keep saving and get a Boss ME-50, at that price nothing can beat it ( even a gt 10 not.. stupid digitals ****, knobs all the way )

How easy is it to switch between effects quickly? As simple as up/down? Or do you gotta press different things a few times? Because the whole 3 pedals thing worries me a bit.
Quote by Hiei3
How easy is it to switch between effects quickly? As simple as up/down? Or do you gotta press different things a few times? Because the whole 3 pedals thing worries me a bit.

nope, you can save 3 effects in 1 bank, and you could buy a footswitch to switch between the 10 banks. there is only a little bit delay between changing effect in emory mode ( which you can activate by pressin switch 2&3, the tuner by pressing 1&2) hope this helps. if you have any questions about it. feel free to ask

EDIT, what's your amp?
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by metalbaswee
nope, you can save 3 effects in 1 bank, and you could buy a footswitch to switch between the 10 banks. there is only a little bit delay between changing effect in emory mode ( which you can activate by pressin switch 2&3, the tuner by pressing 1&2) hope this helps. if you have any questions about it. feel free to ask

EDIT, what's your amp?

Uh... sounds confusing..? Lol. My amp is a Line 6 Spider III 75.
Quote by Hiei3
What do you mean "run directly"?

And aren't pod's those little ones that you can't really switch between effects between a song? Because I need something I can just change in the middle of a song, which is why a Multi effects processor works because I can just use my foot.

With those other brands, you can run your processor right into a PA system instead of using an amp. This can be helpful because you just set it up and go. As far as POD's go, you're thinking of the 2.0 probably, which does not have any footswitches. However, you can find a used POD XT live, which can be used live, for around $250 and sometimes cheaper. They are definitely the industry standard.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Hiei3
Uh... sounds confusing..? Lol. My amp is a Line 6 Spider III 75.

...uh, running a MFX through that isnt going to do much. you could just get a FBV shortboard or something.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
If you have a Line 6 modeling amp, then getting a processor won't do you much good. Go for an FBV shortboard or FBV Express, IMO.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by akack

It's terrible, why would you recommend that?
Quote by Horlicks
It's terrible, why would you recommend that?

if the TS is worrying about which switches do which, i doubt he'll be able to figure out a Zoom.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by akack

Yes you will. Trust me. SRSLY.

The chorus sucks. The wah sucks. The phasers/flangers suck. Pitch shifting sucks. Delay is usable. The amp models/distorions/ods suck. The compressor makes everything sound crap. Switching effects is a pain in the rectum...

The list goes on. Seriously, don't bother. If you spend the tiny bit extra money to get an ME-20 you'll be much better off.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
i have the boss ME-50. it was 300. everything you need right there, definitely worth 300. i don't even use my old boss single pedals. i wouldn't waste money on a poorly constructed pedal with little features. spend a little more, you won't regret it. there are other good multi effect pedals out there too for around 300ish.
Well I do like this FBV Shortboard you guys suggested. It's definately more money though, I'll have to wait a while to get that but no biggy as my amp already has a few things built in to use until then. Here's a real noob question. What's the difference between an FBV Shortboard and a MFX Processor? Don't they basically do the same thing? Sorry, I'm pretty new to the whole scene.

[Hiei3]
yea go for a FBV. cheap and fits with your amp.

if you dont want to...then go Boss. best way to go. ME or GT series will do you the best
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
yea go for a FBV. cheap and fits with your amp.

if you dont want to...then go Boss. best way to go. ME or GT series will do you the best

Ok thanks, I'll definately pick something out of that range then since that's what everyone's saying. Haha, man I'm glad for UG, saved me a lot of potential hassle.

[Hiei3]

EDIT: I've compared and decided the GT series is way more expensive than I can manage right now, and probably more complicated too. I compared the FBV and ME50, and although I like both I think I'm gonna go for the FBV Shortboard. Now I just gotta wait til I have the money for it. But it says for "your Duoverb amp or head". I don't have a Duoverb, I have a Spider III. Will it still work well? Afterall, duoverb and spider III's are both made by Line 6, but I'm new to this so you never know.
Last edited by Hiei3 at May 25, 2008,
why dont you get a FBV Express then?

the FBV series isnt like a MFX, its a MIDI controller. it switches between what you already have on your amp versus creating and saving and blah blah blah.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
why dont you get a FBV Express then?

the FBV series isnt like a MFX, its a MIDI controller. it switches between what you already have on your amp versus creating and saving and blah blah blah.

Oh... well my amp has 200 artist presets, 200 song presets, and 7 effect types. So basically that's all I'd be switching between? Because I know that MFX Processors have more than that and I was sorta looking to add to the effects I have, rather than just switch between the ones I already have.
Quote by Hiei3
Oh... well my amp has 200 artist presets, 200 song presets, and 7 effect types. So basically that's all I'd be switching between? Because I know that MFX Processors have more than that and I was sorta looking to add to the effects I have, rather than just switch between the ones I already have.

Your amp has a lot of effects...what else are you looking for?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Your amp has a lot of effects...what else are you looking for?

7 effects vs like 20-something or 32. =P

That 200 artist and 200 songs presets aren't effects. I don't think any amp would have 400 effects, I don't think there's even 400 effects in existance. But I'm looking for like 20 or 30 that you get in an MFX Processor, so I don't just have like 7 that come with my amp.

[Hiei3]
Quote by akack
I get ridiculous tones out of that!

Fixed
I kid, I kid.

To TS, I'm using a Digitech RP200A. And it's quite nice, but (and this might just be me!) whenever I'm playing through it, there's something almost "childish" about it. Y'know, like wishing you waited and got something better?

Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by Hiei3
7 effects vs like 20-something or 32. =P

That 200 artist and 200 songs presets aren't effects. I don't think any amp would have 400 effects, I don't think there's even 400 effects in existance. But I'm looking for like 20 or 30 that you get in an MFX Processor, so I don't just have like 7 that come with my amp.

[Hiei3]

the presets are tones that the guitarist themselves have contributed to the amp series or something like that, yes they aren't effects. you can create your own presets and save them to your amp and you can use the FBV Express to switch through them.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The ME-50 can go directly into a PA with the direct-line out. So, I don't know why people are saying it can't go direct. I've done it before, and noticed not much different between going direct and going amp.

If you want ease of use, the best way to go is Boss. You're turning knobs, which you already know how to do if you've used an amp, compared to scrolling through stupid digital menues to find the right sound. That's about as complicated as it gets, turning knobs. You need to push down on the expression pedal to get that activated and switch between expression and volume, and activating the tuner and memory modes are as simple as touching two foot pedals at once. And it shows you which two you need to push to go between them. You can also get stereo effects if you've got two amps, and that's hella fun.

Seriously, save up for the ME-50. The only people who don't know how to use it are very lazy. I can get some really good tones out of it, too. Effects modelers, like Line 6 and Digitech, don't allow too much room for you to create your own tones.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90