Ok, I just got a bass and amp about 4 hours ago. Apart from eating dinner and changing guitar strings (probably a half hour to an hour combined?) I've been prcticing bass. So far I learned slapping and popping pretty good (I can play Higher Ground by RHCP (Stevie Wonder cover) and I can play Aeroplane by RHCP (except for the end of the riff which gets my fingers tied up (Mind you, I'ts CERTAINLY NOT perfect). I can play regular pretty good too. It took a while to find a comfortable position to play because I've been playing guitar for a year and some regular songs I've learned are Santeria by Sublime, Bury Me With It by Modest Mouse, Animal Bar by RHCP, Hotel California by Eagles, Give it Away by RHCP and some others that I can't really remember ATM. My arm hurts every few minutes and I give it like 10 seconds rest and keep playing.

Ok, question time: How am I progressing? What's the name for "regular playing"? and Are there any tips for arm positioning or will I just have to build up strength in the position I'm playing in?

Thanks
Quote by Trabo
wait? you got the slap/pop technique fully down in 4 hours? I say bulllllll****.

Most likely I'm doing the "slap" part wrong but it sounds good and clean to me.

EDIT: WHen I do the slap my thumb comes at an angle toward the string (my fingernail is aiming towards the 12th fret of the G most of the time) and when I do the pop...well...I pop the string
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at May 24, 2008,
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Oh, another question: Are Elixer bass strings as good as the Elixer guitar strings? because rigfht now I just have the strings the bass came with.

PS: Elixer is my favorite guitar string brand, that's why I ask.

They're good, but a around $60 for a four-string pack, forget about it.

And even if you got the riff for Higher Ground down, no way you can play the whole song. If you know anyone that is fairly good at bass, have him just teach you proper technique, so you don't screw yourself over for the future.
Quote by IndianRockStar
They're good, but a around $60 for a four-string pack, forget about it.

And even if you got the riff for Higher Ground down, no way you can play the whole song. If you know anyone that is fairly good at bass, have him just teach you proper technique, so you don't screw yourself over for the future.

Most of them are $40 a pack, but yeah that's rediculous Any auggestions? I'm gonna be playing alot of RHCP.
my first slap song was 'Tell Me Baby' by RHCP.

i thought it would be a good place to start

as for technique, YOUTUBE!!!

i pertain to the idea that all that needs to be known about the bass can be found on YouTube, and so far i think i am correct
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
For strings, I'd say DRs or blue steels. I convinced my jazz director to stop buying junky $10 sets and switch to blues. It made a HUGE difference.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Quote by jimmy, the one
as for technique, YOUTUBE!!!

i pertain to the idea that all that needs to be known about the bass can be found on YouTube, and so far i think i am correct

Don't do this. There are so many videos with incorrect technique it is unbelieveable.

And I highly doubt you are able to slap and pop correctly, and I can almost guarentee you have a whole bunch of bad guitarist fretting habits which you are only reinforcing. Learn fingerstyle (or how to use a pick on bass. Yes is it a slightly different technique) for a few months before starting slap and pop, and learn the basics and get used to mutes with each hand etc.

This includes the positioning of your body, as again, guitar techniques will only make your life harder on bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Don't do this. There are so many videos with incorrect technique it is unbelieveable.

And I highly doubt you are able to slap and pop correctly, and I can almost guarentee you have a whole bunch of bad guitarist fretting habits which you are only reinforcing. Learn fingerstyle (or how to use a pick on bass. Yes is it a slightly different technique) for a few months before starting slap and pop, and learn the basics and get used to mutes with each hand etc.

This includes the positioning of your body, as again, guitar techniques will only make your life harder on bass.

I already know that my thumb is supposed to stay in the middle of the neck. I'm not really that interested in picking on bass. When I "pluck" (?) I anchor my thumb on the pickup, is that ok?

Oh and another question. I woke up this morning and expected my right hand to hurt (whcih it did) but not my fretting hand! Obviously the bass has thicker strings but it didn't hurt yesterday at all while I was playing and I already have callouses. Is it gonna hurt like this until I form stronger callouseS?

Thanks

EDIT: I looked up some necessary techniques for bass and I found 1-Finger-Per-Fret thing and it made alot of sense to me, infact I was already doing it . Also there was this thing about how your fretting fingers should be as close to the fret as possible without being on the actual fret. I'm doing that now (stop me if it's incorrect)

I had a question about this:
Quote by studybass._com
Use Finger's Pad, Not Tip
Use the pad of your finger, not the tip, to press the string against the fretboard.

Does that mean that you should be playing with your finger laying flat on the string? That confuses me alot. Any help appreciated

Here's the site I found the info on:http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/fretting/
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at May 25, 2008,

I already know that my thumb is supposed to stay in the middle of the neck. I'm not really that interested in picking on bass. When I "pluck" (?) I anchor my thumb on the pickup, is that ok?

You say you want to learn a lot of RHCP but you don't want to know how to fingerpick? Flea does it a *lot*.

Just learning to slap will limit both your musical flexibility (while I'm aware that it's probably possible to play death metal or classical slap, I also think it will sound utterly horrible) and your actual technical ability. It's like learning to play guitar and never using hammerons - while you can play a lot without them, it's pointless ignoring other techniques.

What will happen if you join a group or are just messing around with friends and they suddenly say 'Let's play Teenage Kicks/My Generation/Under Pressure/While My Guitar Gently Weeps'? None of them are complex songs, but they'll sound unbelievably bad if everyone else plays them normally and you're slapping/popping away.
Quote by Samzawadi
You say you want to learn a lot of RHCP but you don't want to know how to fingerpick? Flea does it a *lot*.

Just learning to slap will limit both your musical flexibility (while I'm aware that it's probably possible to play death metal or classical slap, I also think it will sound utterly horrible) and your actual technical ability. It's like learning to play guitar and never using hammerons - while you can play a lot without them, it's pointless ignoring other techniques.

What will happen if you join a group or are just messing around with friends and they suddenly say 'Let's play Teenage Kicks/My Generation/Under Pressure/While My Guitar Gently Weeps'? None of them are complex songs, but they'll sound unbelievably bad if everyone else plays them normally and you're slapping/popping away.

I know how to fingerpick . And right now after reading some stuff I feel I have it alot better than slapping.

Where'd you get the idea that I couldn't fingerpick? All I asked was if my thumb was allowed to rest on the pickup. And I just read in a bass lesson that that is where it's supposed to be.

And my thumb hurts from yesterday so I won't be slapping for awhile

EDIT: Oh, I see what you meant. I said I didn't want to "pick" as in use an actual pick. I want to fingerpick!
Quote by O-52-A-50-R

Oh and another question. I woke up this morning and expected my right hand to hurt (whcih it did) but not my fretting hand! Obviously the bass has thicker strings but it didn't hurt yesterday at all while I was playing and I already have callouses. Is it gonna hurt like this until I form stronger callouseS?

Yes, the first 3-6months the bass while rip the skin completely off your finger tips, i remember sometimes my fingers would even bleed, but thats all part of the initiation process
Well, finger pain is different from person to person. I never had my fingers really hurt or blister. The skin just grew thicker over time.

And you can rest your thumb where you like, or not at all. I use a mixture of resting it on my bridge pickup, on the B string or just floating. It is simply a matter of comfort.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
There's a floating thumb technique which will help with muting if you want to go that road. My cousin plays that way and says he wants to break that habit though, but some people love it.

Resting your thumb on the pickup is a great idea. You can rest it on the neck pickup or the bridge pickup. Depending on where you play, you'll get a different sound. The closer you are to the bridge the more treble and punch you'll typically get.

I also never had my fingers blister or whatever. The skin is definitely thicker but you can't physically see any callouses except the ones on my right hand's index and middle fingers... if you're using stainless steel strings and you pluck by the bridge you'll probably get some serious blisters. Happened to me and my fingers never blister or whatever.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I say get someone to show you proper technique. You can only analyse your technique to a very limited extent. You need someone else there pointing out everything you're doing wrong. Even if it's not a formal teacher (which I also highly recommend) it's someone who knows more than you about good technique.