yea, so basically, what brands should i look at? what are some tonal differences i should start looking for? good woods? good strings? any thing else?

basically, if you have any info to share, please do. even if its just a site where i can do the research myself!

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
/slapself

Should have had a V8...reading stickies is always i good thing i guess
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Shinsen88

This is definitely one to consider.

cool, yea, i rly like the cutaways being a strat person. do you kno anything about ibanez acoustics or takamines?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you can afford to spend $500, I'd say forget everything else and get one of the following:

- Seagull Coastline
- Epiphone Masterbilt
- Takamine G Series
- Breedlove Atlas

Brands like Mitchell and Ibanez don't even hold a candle to these.
i was thinking about the takamines pretty seriously because my local store has them in stock
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
epiphone masterbilt dr-500m .. it is 449.00 with a solid spruce top and solid mohogany back and sides .. it sounds very nice and has a low action and craftmans ship is excellent for that price range
Quote by TokyoNeko
If you can afford to spend $500, I'd say forget everything else and get one of the following:

- Seagull Coastline
- Epiphone Masterbilt
- Takamine G Series
- Breedlove Atlas

Brands like Mitchell and Ibanez don't even hold a candle to these.

Especially not Ibanez.....terrible guitars.
I also like Alvarez's quite a lot in this price range (yep, I own one) but Breedloves are really fantastic, I think they are probably my favourite out of all these brands. I'd go take a look at all of these brands, find ones you like best. go home, think about it, go back again and play them some more and eventually you will find one that you really like.

Also you know all the stuff about Solid woods and laminate woods don't you? and the differences between Spruce and Cedar? They are probably the main things you need to know.
Quote by johnos
Especially not Ibanez.....terrible guitars.
I also like Alvarez's quite a lot in this price range (yep, I own one) but Breedloves are really fantastic, I think they are probably my favourite out of all these brands. I'd go take a look at all of these brands, find ones you like best. go home, think about it, go back again and play them some more and eventually you will find one that you really like.

Also you know all the stuff about Solid woods and laminate woods don't you? and the differences between Spruce and Cedar? They are probably the main things you need to know.

+1. My vote however goes to the Yamaha FG730S.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
I have a hohner acoustic, around 200, plays beautifully. Best thing to do though is go to the acoustic room at your local guitar store and jam away. All guitars sound different
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
ibanez acoustic guitars are generally to be avoided. ibanez makes fantastic electric guitars, but pretty bad acoustic guitars as far as im concerned.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
takamines are really great, but i like the epiphones a little bit bettor.
Hands down the best instrument for the price it also depends on you

like take a look at this guy he usese a seaugull witch i dont like but he likes it and pulls it off very well, great sound as well, but just not my type of guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5hHJTZVS-xQ

thats why most of all it depends on you, but i got to say take a hard look at epiphones.

cant go wrong with a takamine
I have a $500 yamaha, same one scottdizzle mentioned. It's very rich sounding. No cutaway, and no pickup though, if those are important
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
thanks y'all for the help.

the reason i'm asking is that i'm thinkin about getting a good acoustic compared to my little Yamaha F-310 which i got for free. I love the sound on it, the only problem is the action is a lot higher than i would like, especially in the upper level frets. is there a away i could get the action lowered so that i wouldn't have to buy a new guitar at all? I'm more of a hobyist as of now, so if i could avoid spending money, that would rock, too
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Seagull S6 Original
Epiphone Masterbilt

Consider those too, go check them out at your local store or something.
Quote by bored_maniac33
thanks y'all for the help.

the reason i'm asking is that i'm thinkin about getting a good acoustic compared to my little Yamaha F-310 which i got for free. I love the sound on it, the only problem is the action is a lot higher than i would like, especially in the upper level frets. is there a away i could get the action lowered so that i wouldn't have to buy a new guitar at all? I'm more of a hobyist as of now, so if i could avoid spending money, that would rock, too

You could take it into a shop and they should set it up properly. Changing the action usualy just involves sanding down the saddle a little, but if you take it in for a proper setup they will check your neck relief, action at the saddle, action at the nut and make sure all your frets are level. It will cost you (especially if they have to touch the nut) but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar.

You could try lowering the action yourself by sanding down the saddle. Theres a good tutorial on how to do it on frets.com if your interested. Best thing is that if you stuff up, a new saddle costs a couple of dollars. Could be worth a shot anyway because if you stuff it up your going probably going to want to take it into the store anyway so you'll be up for basically the same amount of money as if you took it in in the first place. And if you get it right you improve your guitar's playability and learn a useful skill.

Your call i guess, depends on how interested you are in this stuff and if you want to risk it. Theres not really much risk involved but most people prefer to just get it done by someone else, avoid the hassle, you know?
Last edited by johnos at May 26, 2008,
Quote by johnos
You could take it into a shop and they should set it up properly. Changing the action usualy just involves sanding down the saddle a little, but if you take it in for a proper setup they will check your neck relief, action at the saddle, action at the nut and make sure all your frets are level. It will cost you (especially if they have to touch the nut) but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar.

You could try lowering the action yourself by sanding down the saddle. Theres a good tutorial on how to do it on frets.com if your interested. Best thing is that if you stuff up, a new saddle costs a couple of dollars. Could be worth a shot anyway because if you stuff it up your going probably going to want to take it into the store anyway so you'll be up for basically the same amount of money as if you took it in in the first place. And if you get it right you improve your guitar's playability and learn a useful skill.

Your call i guess, depends on how interested you are in this stuff and if you want to risk it. Theres not really much risk involved but most people prefer to just get it done by someone else, avoid the hassle, you know?

yea, i rly like the people at my local shop, so i'm probly just going to take it to them.

thanks for the advice!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I recommend the Blueridge BR-140. It's a solid wood guitar (which is better than the laminate- If it doesn't say 'solid' wood it is a laminate). It is modeled after the Pre-war Martin D-18 and many think it is a superior instrument at 1/3 the price. Chinese made but the quality is excellent. I have a BR-240 which I bought on E-bay for your price range. I love it and it is one of the best sounding guitars I've heard including the high end Martins and Taylors.

You can buy these used at e-bay for $400-$500. When you get it if it isn't easy to play take it to your local guitar store and have them put "Extra Light Phosphor Bronze Strings on it. You can go up to a heavier gauge when you are more experienced but this will make it easier to learn on.

This guitar will beat most anything suggested in this thread.
thanks again for the help.

i got my old f-310 re-setup today with the action significantly lowered and it now plays very nice and sounds amazing (elixir strings are my friend). but yea, thanks for all of the suggestions and advice
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Good stuff.
Glad to hear your happy with it all.
May I ask how much it cost you to get it setup?