when i get a job this summer, the first thing i'll be doing is buying a new laptop.
i use large programs quite frequently (eg: fruity loops, photoshop). i don't do any gaming, but i would like to be able to watch high quality videos. i'll also be funding this with a minimum-wage job, so it can't be anything too costly.
i'd also like it to be easily upgradable, so when i can still use it when i take it to college.

what would you suggest?
www.newegg.com

this place has everything you could ever ask, and for cheap
when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Starsceam of the Decepticon Transformers G1 Club
PM irishmatt1992 To Join!

im running about 500mb of RAM right now, and FL lags quite a bit, so i'm thinking about getting 1G..or should i splurge for 2G?

edit: i'd like to add that these are pretty much what i'd be doing with it:
-holding 30G's of music
-using Photoshop (cs2)
-using Fruity Loops 8 XXL
-surfing the web (forums, youtube, etc)
Last edited by clearchaos at May 24, 2008,
Quote by clearchaos
when i get a job this summer, the first thing i'll be doing is buying a new laptop.
i use large programs quite frequently (eg: fruity loops, photoshop). i don't do any gaming, but i would like to be able to watch high quality videos. i'll also be funding this with a minimum-wage job, so it can't be anything too costly.
i'd also like it to be easily upgradable, so when i can still use it when i take it to college.

what would you suggest?

Theres your problem. But for what your describing id say get as much ram as you can.
Pentium 486 FTW
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
i don't want to buy a whole tower/monitor system, as i want to be able to take it to class in college to take notes and such. towers also take up too much space in a dorm.
Dude, you're going to find it extremely hard to upgrade a laptop at a cheap price. They aren't as easy to work with as desktops. You're better off buying a completely new one, or building a desktop from scratch.

Head over to www.pcmech.com if you have computer questions. Halped me tons, now I'm a pro.
A U S S I E
Quote by clearchaos
i'm thinking about getting 1G..or should i splurge for 2G?

RAM is cheap, just get 2GB.
Laptop RAM ain't cheap, and it's hard to install. Normal desktop RAM is cheap, and it is easy to install. Laptops FTL
A U S S I E
but do you guys see what im saying about college?
i mean, i dont want to have to write down all the notes.
typing would be MUCH easier, IMO.
just get the most expensive dell laptop you can afford, thats the easiest way of doing it and theyre pretty good for the price
now that i think about it, what am i really going to need to upgrade?
if i get about 2 GB of ram, that'll run photoshop/FL easily.
and i could buy an external harddrive to store all my program files, and just take a (mostly) bare laptop to class to take notes/surf the web.

good idea?
(college isn't for 2 years. which parts of a computer go "out of date" ?)
Quote by clearchaos

im running about 500mb of RAM right now, and FL lags quite a bit, so i'm thinking about getting 1G..or should i splurge for 2G?

edit: i'd like to add that these are pretty much what i'd be doing with it:
-holding 30G's of music
-using Photoshop (cs2)
-using Fruity Loops 8 XXL
-surfing the web (forums, youtube, etc)

I run 4 gigs, i would run more if my MOBO supported more.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by robertreilly666
I run 4 gigs, i would run more if my MOBO supported more.

Explain why you would need more than 4 gigs of RAM.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by dullsilver_mike
My vista rating still isn't maxed for RAM at 4gigs... more power.. More Power!!!!

Get better RAM. Quantity does not equal quality when it comes to RAM (to some extent). The more ram, the more memory space you have AKA more programs you can open at the same time, it has nothing to do with speed.

Chance are, on a vista machine, you're using around 1.7gbs of RAM while playing COD4, for example. Now whether you have 2 gigs or 4 gigs, it won't make a difference. Its the speed thats going to be useful here.

Getting faster ram (i.e. PC6400 800mhz) will make your Vista ram rating better, not getting a extra stick or two.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by clearchaos

what would you suggest?

Get a Dell or HP 17 inch laptop at their website, and go for their introductory video cards (the ones not meant for gaming) as it'll help the playing of video and the running of Vista (after SP1 its speed is comparable to XP SP3). Laptops in general aren't easy to upgrade outside of RAM and the hard drive. However, it'd be best to go with the minimal amount of RAM then use Newegg or Zipzoomfly to grab the memory. Memory speed has negligible impact...don't bother. Go for at least 2gb.

And make sure it has an Intel Core 2 Duo. That'll give the greatest impact on performance...going for the higher end chips (4mb cache over 2mb) will result in a 10% improvement in general computing, and should keep your computer from going obsolete.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 26, 2008,