So my friend wants to buy a guitar and he asked me if this package is decent. I know the amp sucks hard, but he says he doesnt mind cause the guitar alone costs 200 by itself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

thats the link, i need UG's opinion before i tell him yes, he's a beginner and says he doesnt want to spend much, and thinks this is decent for a beginner like him.

EDIT: he thinks this is the same guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-with-Tortoise-Shell-Pickguard?sku=512732

I dont believe it is, and i think this guitar is better than the one in the package.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Last edited by this&that at May 24, 2008,
dude thats not bad for 200
anyways, its acually ezer to learn on a good guitar becasue on cheap guitars some times the strings dont make the notes when you bend them, and just dont play good....
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
i would agree that shelling out a bit more is better. But can any of you suggest anything?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
what about those agile guitars?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
try a dean vendatte and a 5 watt tube amp? should be about 230?
epi les pual custom
ad15vt > for sale
valve jr head and cab
bad monkey
he plays classic rock mostly, he loves the clapton.

EDIT: I told him about the agiles, but he says a pack would be a lot easier, because for a beginner he wouldnt have to worry about buying separately.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by bi-ah!
dude thats not bad for 200
anyways, its acually ezer to learn on a good guitar becasue on cheap guitars some times the strings dont make the notes when you bend them, and just dont play good....

I discovered through my experience of owning a Squier[and still a proud owner] that the amp won't cut it with distortion, maybe cleans. I would suggest for him to get it, Squiers are great quality and he can always buy a Boss DS-1 for distortion. Just have him play clean songs until he can get a pedal. Make sure he knows what he's doing too...
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by this&that
he plays classic rock mostly, he loves the clapton.

EDIT: I told him about the agiles, but he says a pack would be a lot easier, because for a beginner he wouldnt have to worry about buying separately.
Like it's a huge hassle to do that. He'll be fine if he does get the pack, but it'll be better otherwise.

Epi Firebird Studio/Agile or somesuch something + Roland Micro Cube or a small tube combo.
Quote by this&that
I suggested this pack to him http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745 the SG are nice and you can play a lot of different styles of music with this guitar. Was I right to suggest this?
Personally, I think he should start on something better. Guitar is more fun to play when it's a good, well-playing guitar, and he'll be more likely to stick with it if he does.
Agile guitar, Blackheart ministack, and lessons.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
This is a sound suggestion.
Im a beginner, and I bought a Fender Starcaster, and its an awesome guitar, and has a rich sound when playing on medium volume setting, maybe its because I have a pretty decent amp, but I would definitely reccomend a Fender Starcaster.
Quote by Moe.

Sounds good, but I'm not sure if a mini stack is necessary.
Quote by CWEBB04z
Im a beginner, and I bought a Fender Starcaster, and its an awesome guitar, and has a rich sound when playing on medium volume setting, maybe its because I have a pretty decent amp, but I would definitely reccomend a Fender Starcaster.

The starcaster is pretty meh actually. It's decent for beginners and what they pay for, but there IS much better to find at that price.
it's just $200, we can suggest you better stuff, but he might end thinking guitar is not for him, that package is not the best thing in the world but it would make it for a while, he'll realize if he wants to be a guitarist or not.
Now, I'm not 100% sure but i read about these a long time ago on ug and remember people saying they were actually pretty good.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Rack-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Spider-III-15W-Amp?sku=515204

Also, the amp (Line6 spider), though it isn't an amp that is usually recommended around here, is pretty damn good compared to any amps you will get in other value packages.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by this&that
So my friend wants to buy a guitar and he asked me if this package is decent. I know the amp sucks hard, but he says he doesnt mind cause the guitar alone costs 200 by itself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

thats the link, i need UG's opinion before i tell him yes, he's a beginner and says he doesnt want to spend much, and thinks this is decent for a beginner like him.

EDIT: he thinks this is the same guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-with-Tortoise-Shell-Pickguard?sku=512732

I dont believe it is, and i think this guitar is better than the one in the package.

I believe the guitar in the pack is an Affinity (piece of junk) series Squier, whereas the other one is a Standard series, which is much better.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I told him to actually think about what he buys first, i mean i think he's being rash on his decision he's the kind of person to buy the first thing that catches his eye, i mean we've been drinking all day and this might influence his gut decision even more, so i mean, im not sure what to buy, what agiles do any of you suggest? or anymore from musicians friend.

BTW we live in canada just so you know and that the MF links arent only for states shipping thanks.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I believe the guitar in the pack is an Affinity (piece of junk) series Squier, whereas the other one is a Standard series, which is much better.

yes the guitar in LOOKS looks very alike, but I know what a standard looks like and that the one in the first link doesnt look like the standard, i really dont know what it is.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
yes the guitar in LOOKS looks very alike, but I know what a standard looks like and that the one in the first link doesnt look like the standard, i really dont know what it is.

I just told you it was an Affinity.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden