Hey all, just wondering what the best distortion pedal in the world is. Preferabliy a tube dist peadal.

I dont want an OD b.c i already have one, im about to get a job and already have 440$ so money doesnt really matter on this one, i just want an end all distortion pedal for metal.
for metal? well it depends on what amp you have and what type of metal you are going for, the Z.Vex box of Metal is pretty good, so is the protone body rot, the Sansamp GT2 and TriA.C. pedals are also very good.

And I'm a big fan of the EHX Metal Muff, but opinions are pretty mixed on that one, as it has a very distinct sound that you pretty much either love or hate.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i have a peavey VK and dont really want to upgrade that badly, the type of metal is metallica, and some newer metalcore ish stuff. The metal muff was decent, but sounded too solid state to me.
Last edited by guitarbite.fire at May 24, 2008,
if you have a VK maybe you should look into an OD pedal and a graphic EQ, like perhaps a a Tubescreamer and an MXR 10 band.

Also upgrade the tubes and speaker on your amp if you have not done so.

Last.fm
well i have a decent OD already and im getting a new speaker in a month or so (V30). I was thinking about an EQ also.
sell it and use the 440 for a new amp, instead of buying a metal distortion for a amp thats SUPPOSED to do metal half okay
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i also thought about that...i thought about a mesa f-30 or D.C but theres nowhere to try them out b.c their discontinued. I play classic rock most of the time, but also enjoy playing metal so i dont know if i can justify getting a purely metal amp.
pretty much any metal distortion pedal you buy is going to have somewhat of a solid state sound, so try the eq and maybe a clean boost.

Last.fm
lol...yea i dont really care for selling my amp that much, so i think im gonna go w. the EQ then, i figure that will be more worth it.
^haha lmao
well then you should look for somethingg like hmm maybeee
classic 30?
idk c'mon guys look for suggestions on mainly classic sounding but can do some metal amp
OH
jcm 800?
maybe 900?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
those are great amps and all, and i actually had a classic 50 410 before my VK and loved it, but i dont really want to go through the hassle of selling my amp. I also dont want anything bigger than a 112 atm, because quite frankly i cant see my self using anything bigger, im barely allowed to turn my VK to 1 and usually have to keep it under 1. (in my house)
Ok here is what you need to get a Metallica and a Decent Lamb of God tone... I just cut and pasted from another post i put this in. So somethings might seem off but i dont feel like editing it down...

Heres the thing Distortion pedals generally sound Thin and Buzzy. Even the Famed Metal Muff. The only pedal i know that hits an artists tone pretty close is the Uber Metal. Put it on pulverize and you have Pantera in a box. But the main reason this is even possible is because Dimebag used SS amps and his sound has the tone of a Chainsaw. So its easier to mimic using a pedal. Now trying to mimic the distortion on a tube amp is almost impossible with a pedal unless you drop a good chunk of coin. So i would suggest again using what you got and make it better.

Heres the details on the VK and I own the amp so its not like i havent been dealing with the same issues. As yourself.

Valveking
Treble: Dont take it past 5 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-5 adjust to taste
Middle: Dont take it past 8 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-8 adjust to taste
Bass: Use as normal
Presence:Use as normal
Resonance:Use as normal
Texture knob:Clockwise Tight thrash tone, Counter Clockwise Loose and Modern but a bit muddy
Gain: Dont take past 7-8 or it will get muddy
Volume Button: In or out its prefrence
Gain Button: In adds big boost of gain and highs.. Prefrence as well.

Loves OD pedals, best so far has been the Bad Monkey
Settings Level 10 Gain 0, But any OD pedal will work.

Needs: Tube and speakers replaced. Loves V30 speakers and JJ's for the preamps if you want a brighter tone which gives it a good marshall/mesa tone.

Heres the list for a cheap solution..

Cheapest way out...
Used Bad monkey $20
Fish and Chips EQ $30
Tubes $45
Speaker $110
Total
$215.00 also if you can wheel and deal i was able to get 3 tubes for $15 bucks total... So that would knock that cost down.
great idea ^ i did try out the bad monkey and actually loved it, and was looking the the fish and chips EQ. thanks for the advice...but wait...anyone know where i could get some JJs?
Well, best is very subjective tho.
My favorite distortion pedal is the Toneczar Openhaus.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
great idea ^ i did try out the bad monkey and actually loved it, and was looking the the fish and chips EQ. thanks for the advice...but wait...anyone know where i could get some JJs?

www.eurotubes.com
www.tubedepot.com
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heres the best dirtbox i could find and its made right here in the USA!

Not cool. I live in Oklahoma. We have way better dirt boxes than that one. I should know. I work for the Soil Conservatoin District (Yay government jobs)!
I own an MI Audio Crunch Box, and it sounds AWESOME. I like it a lot more than most distortion pedals I've heard. Although I want to get a high gain Mesa, preferably a Mark IV, but for now this is doing it for me. It's not tube...but it's $120 and it sounds awesome for the price.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
I own an MI Audio Crunch Box, and it sounds AWESOME. I like it a lot more than most distortion pedals I've heard. Although I want to get a high gain Mesa, preferably a Mark IV, but for now this is doing it for me. It's not tube...but it's $120 and it sounds awesome for the price.

Ya the Crunch Box is a really safe way to go. It has really good sustain and sounds pretty much perfect. Also sounds really good if you push it with another dirt pedal before it.
|