I was uber bored at work today and started to think

every technique i can think of, i can play at least a little bit of.

i can play :
fingerstyle, pickstyle, slap, two handed tap, pinch harms, and a little bit of double thump

what else is there in regard to actual techniques, not style or genre

and what can you all play?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Pick, fingers, two handed tapping, sweep picking, slap and pop, pinch harmonics, artificial harmonics, tapped harmonics, slide (as in using a slide, not finger slides)

most of this stuff is carried over from guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Pick, fingers, two handed tapping, sweep picking, slap and pop, pinch harmonics, artificial harmonics, tapped harmonics, slide (as in using a slide, not finger slides)

most of this stuff is carried over from guitar.

This and flamenco picking
Quote by Ledhead82048
This and flamenco picking

I can do that too, but doing on bass would rip my nails to shreds.

Last.fm
I JUST POSTED A THREAD AlMOST IDENTICAL TO THIS!

oh well

i can fingerstyle, slap, pop, doublethumb, tap, two hand tap, pinch harmonics, artificial harmonics (same thing sorta), natural harmonics, 3 finger right hand, 4 finger right hand and i'm improving my sweeping technique
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
fingerstyle, slap, palm mute thumbing, finger chords, picking, tremolo bending, vibrato, tapping, pinch harmonics, art. harmonics, single finger backstroking, scratching, bottleneck slide, bending, tuning, slide, muted string drumming, fretting.

am I the only guy here who can fret? come on!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
can someone post a link to a good flamenco bass lesson on YouTube or something?

i've listened to it, and it sounds pretty cool
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Quote by the humanity

am I the only guy here who can fret? come on!

yes you are, the rest of us just use open strings

actually I think people just don't feel like including basic things like fretting, vibrato, hammer ons etc.

Last.fm
Quote by jimmy, the one
can someone post a link to a good flamenco bass lesson on YouTube or something?

i've listened to it, and it sounds pretty cool

bass isn't an old-style flamenco instrument so it's going to be hard to find good ones.

as for my techniques so far:

(flamenco style)rasgueado, alzapua, picado, tremolo picking, tresillios,
(classical)tremolo picking, (electric) tremolo picking, alternate, economic and that other one, harmonics, pinched harmonics, sweeps(or what's left of it I rarely do it), slide, hammer, pull, tapping, 2handed tapping, no handed tapping(for some people this costs money), fingerpicking, and most likely some stuf I forgot.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
no handed tapping(for some people this costs money)

Say whaa?! It's not tapping if you're not using your fingers... Please explain.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
fingerstyle, pick, gallop. According to my blues guitarist, I play a decent blues bass. I can fingerstyle funk like a mofo.

I slap marginally. I need to work on that....

[edit] Add bass chords to that as well...
Fingerstyle, slap and pop, a bit of two handed tapping (I can only really use two fingers on my right hand), harmonics (artifical, natural, pinched and sliding) and chords.

Yeah, I wouldn't qualify my use of a pick as a skill. I really don't like using one.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 26, 2008,
Fingerstyle, fingerstyle with 3 fingers, slap + pop (not that well), two handed tapping, harmonics of any sort. Flamenco is being worked on.
pick-using, finger-stylee, slapping, natural harmonics, pinch harmonics (not as well as on guitar) and chords if were including them apparently.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Say whaa?! It's not tapping if you're not using your fingers... Please explain.

oh hell no , tapping without hands and you don't know what it is? I'll give you a hint, virgin
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
oh hell no , tapping without hands and you don't know what it is? I'll give you a hint, virgin

Ah... Well tbh, your joke was a fail. If you have to explain a sex joke to someone who gets more than the average bassist (once a year ftw!) then you insta. fail.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Tap, 3 fingerstyle, 2 fingerstyle, pick, double thumb, harmonics, pinch harmonics, gallops, I think that's all that I ever use. I can't slap at all.
2-finger, little bit of 3-finger, pick-style, slow galloping, chording, some two-handed tapping, natural harmonics, palm muting (with pick), some bending, some crappy Flea-style slap, and the ability to make any song heavy.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at May 25, 2008,
I hit the usual suspects- 2/3 fingerstyle, slap, 2 handed tapping, bit o' sweeping, harmonics, artificial harmonics, double stops, chords, tapped harmonics...

and then some not so common ones- slapped harmonics, harmonic slides, harmonic double stop slides, the "drone" (think the droning sounds at the beginning of Tool's Parabol and you're on the right lines)... and some other stuff I'm trying out.
The only technique I know is the Chris Gearing Technique .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And everyone knows Chris Gearing technique is fail

Have to be able to do it to call it fail, AND YOU CAN'T!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
1/2/3/4/5 finger style (thumb being the fifth)
pick style
ebow
slap + pop
double thump
drumsticks/funk fingers
bowed bass
effects dohickery.
chords,
double stops
tapping
legato
right handed legato
ambidextorous playing
mid-song tuning (into different tunings)
neck bends
bass spin.

Few more i guess.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
And I can play with my penis.

Read this thread. Gave me a smile. Most pro bassists, who play and perform complex lines flawlessly prolly don't even know half the "techniques" you guys listed. That's just nerdish. Post yourselves playing all this then. Grow up.

Here's a link to one band I play in. Simple fingerstile, be that 2 or 3, and a lot of random funkadelia when live. No nerdish metal crap.

http://www.myspace.com/warmdays (Slices of dreams, 9 weeks, armageddon are more from the latest album)

Lol, that's me on the second video)))
Last edited by Bassilo at May 26, 2008,
most of them probably can, and don't do them because they care about the music. we can, but we don't use them for much- all I use in church is the fingerstyle and the backstroke. (and fretting!) we learn as many techniques as we can and you should too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bassilo
And I can play with my penis.

Read this thread. Gave me a smile. Most pro bassists, who play and perform complex lines flawlessly prolly don't even know half the "techniques" you guys listed. That's just nerdish. Post yourselves playing all this then. Grow up.

Here's a link to one band I play in. Simple fingerstile, be that 2 or 3, and a lot of random funkadelia when live. No nerdish metal crap.

http://www.myspace.com/warmdays (Slices of dreams, 9 weeks, armageddon are more from the latest album)

Lol, that's me on the second video)))

0_o alienating a genre? That's harsh.
Sneaky sneaky. Band promotion is bad.
So what happens when you need to slap or double thumb but can't?
I slap when I have to) But as you can see, it wouldn't fit this particular style).
Alienating a genre? Hell naw, but don't give me this tolerance crap, it's unpopular in these parts) What I meant to say, is that many folks try to "bite" as many tecnhiques as they can, then throw them around recklessly causing extreme sonic pollution. I dunno... It's like 2 heavily distorted guitars soloing and a bassist performing some harmonic stuff that doesn't cut thru the mix and sounds like mud.

Humanity, I completely agree with you, fella! I've been playing for so many years and in so many good bands, also paid as sessionist, played nearly every bass and every amp out there, and I would never be able to say that I mastered slapping, let alone more sophisticated techniques.

To Russia and the USA! May we always jack your money!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bassilo

How is it nerdish? I'm a huge advocate of learning as many techniques as you possibly can- you may not use them very often, but you still have the technique if you need to se it at a later time. I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass if x bassist doesn't know how play y technique. If I do, then I do. A lot of the weirder techniques I've learnt come from a passion for making different sounds with my bass, like the drone. I didn't have an effect that replicated what I wanted that well, so I went and found a way to do it. Nerdish? Nope. It's called being a musician.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How is it nerdish? I'm a huge advocate of learning as many techniques as you possibly can- you may not use them very often, but you still have the technique if you need to se it at a later time. I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass if x bassist doesn't know how play y technique. If I do, then I do. A lot of the weirder techniques I've learnt come from a passion for making different sounds with my bass, like the drone. I didn't have an effect that replicated what I wanted that well, so I went and found a way to do it. Nerdish? Nope. It's called being a musician.

+1.

How is being able to play and use a technique a bad thing, even if you only rarely use it. There are Youtube videos of Wooten showing techniques he has not found a use for yet.

Having fun and experiment with sounds is a great way to learn about your instrument. Sometimes I just crank my envelope filter and mess around with dynamics on scales. I can get some great sounds out of it. Throw distortion on top of that, and you need to try it to understand it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1