Im looking to upgrade my teles pickups to a humbucker in the neck and rail pup for the bridge. I have heard that the wiring will be more complicated than usual since a normal tele neck pup is installed right now. I also have no soldering or electronics experience whatsoever...I was wondering if anyones ever been in the same boat as me and installed with no problems just using an online guide or something? The closest luthier would be quite a drive (twice...) not to mention it would be $75 for the install. I'll go for it if it's not worth the risk doing it myself, but I'm fine with putting some time into it to cut my costs in half...advice appreciated.
As long as you figure out what you're doing before you do it, you should be fine. Electronics aren't very complicated when broken down into things like a pickup or potentiometer, I would suggest getting diagrams as well.
i fyour gonna do it try soldering random bits of wire first, best way to learn.

I just had my tele elcetroncs replaced and i couldnt do the soldering, but besides that it was easy.

good luck man
i enjoy head
+1... I used an old sega gensis cartridge when i first started. I practiced making good solder joints and such. Theres actually some good videos on youtube that you can check out that shows the correct soldering technique.

Just remember aside from tinning, the solder should not actually touch the iron when you are connecting two things
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
just get a 10 dollar radioshack iron and supplies, practice soldering on something old, read info GOOGLE!, and get soem work under your belt before you begin. it isnt complicated in the least. and you'll know a new trade =D
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
just get a 10 dollar radioshack iron and supplies, practice soldering on something old, read info GOOGLE!, and get soem work under your belt before you begin. it isnt complicated in the least. and you'll know a new trade =D

+X^0, X =/= 0

An hour of practice will be sufficient. Also, take pics of the assembled wiring prior to de-soldering. Take notes, too, and keep all the bits in a container. You'll do fine.