Hey, I'm in my first band and we're covering the song Mother by Danzig. The chord progression is B G A. What are some scales I can use to improvise over this BESIDES the pentatonic scale?
Are they all major? I don't know a key with B major, G major and A major in them.. (no regular major/minor key has them in)
rawr
Quote by I Am Jack!
Are they all major? I don't know a key with B major, G major and A major in them.. (no regular major/minor key has them in)

Sorry, B minor, G major, A major... And everyone gave me lots of keys and major and minor scales... any more exotic scales I could use?

Also, I'm having trouble with another song (Symphony Of Destruction by Megadeth)... Same question but the chords are E G C A... Sorry for all the dumb questions.. I'm just sick of the pentatonic AND the minor scale
Trust me, just trying to use exotic scales over regular progressions will sound contrived. No matter what, there's always more you can get out of the major, minor, and pentatonics.

Anyway, when you say pentatonic, does that include the blues scale? If not, definitely give that a shot. I just strongly advise against using something like Hungarian minor or whatever over that progression because it is guaranteed to sound pretty funny. If you want, try playing F natural over the G chord, making it a G7 and kinda adding a different feel to the chord.
Quote by grampastumpy
Trust me, just trying to use exotic scales over regular progressions will sound contrived. No matter what, there's always more you can get out of the major, minor, and pentatonics.
At risk of getting flamed so badly, that even hell is more pleasant (It's Mt, so ready your flame shields), exotic scales are completely useless in western music.

It's way more beneficial (I'm gonna sound like a broken record here) to learn about intervals, accidentals and harmonic/melodic dissonance. That way you can sound new and original, whilst still using the same old boring major scale.

Like if you want to sound dark and eastern, use some m6 over major chords. Or some minor 3rd melodic intervals, followed by (or being folowed by) a minor second.
But just dont go looking for new scales for originality. It's guaranteed to waste your time and make you sound like crap.
Quote by demonofthenight
At risk of getting flamed so badly, that even hell is more pleasant (It's Mt, so ready your flame shields), exotic scales are completely useless in western music.

It's way more beneficial (I'm gonna sound like a broken record here) to learn about intervals, accidentals and harmonic/melodic dissonance. That way you can sound new and original, whilst still using the same old boring major scale.

Like if you want to sound dark and eastern, use some m6 over major chords. Or some minor 3rd melodic intervals, followed by (or being folowed by) a minor second.
But just dont go looking for new scales for originality. It's guaranteed to waste your time and make you sound like crap.
Yupyupyup. Especially over a nice pretty diatonic Bm G A progression you're not gonna wanna bust out the OMGLOLWUT scale or anything. As I mentioned in that one other thread, I like seeing exotic scales as alterations to something else and just taking their differences and implementing them into more standard stuff.

Also, lol at all the new "what song" threads. RTFS time?
Last edited by grampastumpy at May 25, 2008,