Hi guys
I'm new in guitar stuff ,i have a Gibson acoustic guitar with steel strings but one of the string is broken and i want to change all the string and put nylon,the problem is i don't know how to do that.
Is anyone can help me with this problem?
I dont know if this is 'right', but I double not it around the peg like a piece of rope, its never caused me any slipping, as long as the knot holds once you start putting tension to it, it seems to be fine, as long as you give some string length to wrap around the peg.
Wait a sec there mate.

You have a steel stringed acoustic, right?

I'm pretty sure you can't put nylons on one of them, as the bridge is different to the ones on a classical.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
you need nylon strings with ball ends, and you just string them like you would steel ones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Why in the heck would you want nylon with steel strings anyways. I mean really that one string wont sound good with the steels.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
Why in the heck would you want nylon with steel strings anyways. I mean really that one string wont sound good with the steels.

he wants to completely restring the guitar with nylons.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you need nylon strings with ball ends, and you just string them like you would steel ones.

Thanks man!that is really what i want to hear,so it is possible to find nylon string with ball ends?because i want to restring the all guitar!
Regards
Quote by roncriss
Thanks man!that is really what i want to hear,so it is possible to find nylon string with ball ends?because i want to restring the all guitar!
Regards

Okay then you are restringing the whole thing. good but things to worry bout.
1.String length
2.well that was bout it
And yes ball end nylons are very easy to find martin guitar company has a good variaty of nylon strings for cheap and high price range.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by roncriss
Regards

I personally like these

Last.fm
and make sure you watch the neck for an decrease in relief, as nylon (even the high tension ones i linked) strings put much less stress on the neck than steel strings, so you may have to adjust your truss rod.

Last.fm
sorry i don't get you how do i adjust my truss rod?
i don't know which is a truss rod in my guitar!i'm just new in this it is my third month since i started learning guitar!
well take your guitar with you to the shop and ask them about it, have them show you how to do it, or if you've got cash have them put the nylon strings on and make the adjustemnt for you.

Last.fm
Your not actually supposed to put Nylon strings on your steel stringed acoustic guitar. Like, its actually not good for it. There are the issues with getting the strings to stay in place (not an issue anymore if you get ones with ball ends) there is always going to be the issue with neck relief as steel strings have ALOT more tension than nylon strings. This could eventually damage your neck (also, side note: don't try to stuff with your truss rod if you don't know what your doing, dangerous stuff). So there IS danger involved for your guitar with this kind of stuff. Last problem is that the nylon strings will not produce as much force to drive the soundboard (this is how the sound is created) properly, so more than likely it will not sound good.

Personally, I wouldn't do it nor recommend you do it, but your call.
Quote by johnos
Your not actually supposed to put Nylon strings on your steel stringed acoustic guitar. Like, its actually not good for it. There are the issues with getting the strings to stay in place (not an issue anymore if you get ones with ball ends) there is always going to be the issue with neck relief as steel strings have ALOT more tension than nylon strings. This could eventually damage your neck (also, side note: don't try to stuff with your truss rod if you don't know what your doing, dangerous stuff). So there IS danger involved for your guitar with this kind of stuff. Last problem is that the nylon strings will not produce as much force to drive the soundboard (this is how the sound is created) properly, so more than likely it will not sound good.

Personally, I wouldn't do it nor recommend you do it, but your call.

meh, I've done this a lot, the main issue of course is making sure the truss rod is very lose so it won't warp the neck, it is a major adjustment though, which is why i told him to get it set up by a pro.

Last.fm
^ What's the point tho? A steel string guitar is designed to have steel strings on it. The internal bracing, sound board, truss rod design, all of it really, is meant to be paired up with steel strings. If it were meant to have nylons, don't you think you'd have bought it at the store new with them on? Some guitars can take to the changeover, some won't.
roncriss, if your guitar has bridge pins, a solid headstock and has a truss rod accessible either through a cover plate on the headstock or through the soundhole, then chances are really good that you should be putting steel strings on it. Nylons will only sound dead and lifeless on that style of guitar. What is your main reason for wanting to put on nylons anyway? And if you want nylons, you should just get a classical style guitar.
yeah getting a classical guitar is the best option, but they do make high tension, ball end nylon strings for this sort of thing, which is what I recommended, but yeah hopefully he can have the guitar looked at in the shop and they can make sure it won't mess up, but like I said I've never had a problem with it.

and I imagine the reason he wants to do it is to make the guitar easier to play, or because he wants to get a quieter, mellower sound.

Last.fm
There's too much involved for a beginner to make this sort of change. Another thing that no one mentioned is the nut. You know as well as I do that the slots in a steel string nut won't accomidate fat nylons. How is he going to remedy that? And if he were to file them out to accept nylons, then what about later on, when he might want to go back to steels? Now the nut is shot for that and would need to be replaced. All in all, it's best to stick with what the guitar was made for.
roncriss, I understand why you would like to do this, but in all honesty, you would be far better off replacing the strings with steel. As I said, they're what the guitar was made for, and you're just beginning. You have a long way to go and just aren't used to them yet. Wait until you build up some callouses and some better finger/hand strength. It will get easier, I promise.
Quote by LeftyDave
There's too much involved for a beginner to make this sort of change. Another thing that no one mentioned is the nut. You know as well as I do that the slots in a steel string nut won't accomidate fat nylons. How is he going to remedy that? And if he were to file them out to accept nylons, then what about later on, when he might want to go back to steels? Now the nut is shot for that and would need to be replaced.

actually ball end nylon strings are the same gauge as steel strings. Remember these strings are made to be used in steel string guitars.

Last.fm