I've come across a problem recently. I'm having troubles writing music that I find expressive. I can play fairly well, well enough to copy nearly everything I'd like to (which is very little), and until recently I could express myself quite well too. The problem I'm having now is that I'm really only able to write and improvise blues guitar.

It kind of makes sense, because that's what first really got me into playing guitar, and that's what I've worked on the most. I listen to a lot of music though, and I've been unable to put together anything that I find overly interesting lately.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. What do you do when you find yourself writing the same things over and over again? I've tried listening to new music, learning different types of music, taking a break from playing, but nothings really helped.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
I would say just start getting names of bands from your friends and doing some digging. Like look at opening acts for bands you like. Myspace is great for gettting some new music, and you can go through a lot of it fast.

good luck, I would just say try to find something new that doesn't seem like work. something else you can have fun with
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Basically get into more genres. And just listen, really listen.
You can listen in a writers perspective, or a listeners. I did the latest first, and I couldn't understand why I couldn't write something like it, then I did it in a writers perspectice, analyzing song structures, phrasing, etc. while enjoying it.
Of course sometimes you want to listen, just to listen (like when working out or something), but doing this really helped me.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
open your mind and listen to something you never have before. blues, classical, flameco is good.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
dont stress over it. in time more will arise. take a break and get into new things

for me, i cant sit down and write a song. songs just pop into my head while living my life and im like, ok, what song is that, who wrote that, is that my creation.

trick is to capture it, write it down or something