OK, technically my mid life had to have taken place when I was 13 and a half (whereas now it'd be about my 4/5ths life crisis), but here's what's on my mind.

I need a fretless, essentially. I originally was set on a Jaco, but for some reason lately I've been pulled away from that and want something both different and potentially my own.

To remedy that, I started the construction of my own custom fretless. Details will be witheld until this gets sorted out. Long story short, all I have right now is a sanded and stained body ready for finishing, and a little bit of body hardware. While this bass is to be my own creation and concept (and the first of it's kind), there's no tempermental timeframe. I can put this product on hiatus and get the parts little by little if I need to. Let's say I need about $500 to finish the project.

Now, today I was in a guitar store up the road and I saw a '92 Warwick Thumb NT fretless on consignment for $2500. Wenge/bubinga neck, old neck profile, EMG pickups, brass nut, thin font on the truss rod cover, the whole nine. The real deal, handcrafted. No volute on the neck, but it was a bit rounded, compared to the scary-flat late 80's headstock joints. The thing is mint.

The setup on it was the lowest I've seen and the neck was flat. Yet, somehow, no clack. It was simply the best playing fretless I've ever touched, and the feel of wenge is just incredible. After a minute or two of "getting my bearings" on unlined fretless, I simply could not play out of tune. It's as if the bass knew what to do. The gentlest of touch or the hardest of pluck gave me everything I needed at any time.

Armed with nickel rounds and slight superficial fingerboard wear, I was shocked and amazed and how bloody round the bass sounded. Even the solo'd bridge pickup sounded totally full and incredible, and at this moment I began to see the appeal of playing with a flat EQ to try out instruments. The bass had a bright sheen and a full bottom that's rarely heard on a fretless. I went to dial out some highs only to realize that much of them were already dialed out! This thing was flawless. It at first was a bit "modern" sounding for my taste, but I came to love it in moments. The best description I could give was it sounded like a cross between Jimmy Haslip's tone on Jaco's Word of Mouth Revisited CD (Continuum and Havona), and Brian Bromberg's fretless tone of of his CD, Jaco. Really, that's how it sounded.

The bass made me feel like a better player and I could not make mistakes. My vibrato just seemed to flow naturally, whether wide or for short accented purposes. It looked, played, felt, and sounded as good as a fretless can.

OK, you get it - this thing's amazing. The question is - what do I do? My heart wants to postpone the fretless project and do whatever it takes to get that Warwick. It's on consignment, so I doubt I could trade in my existing Warwick, but I'd have to sell that (I'd hope for about $600) somehow. That might cover a down payment, at which my guitar player would buy my Strat off me for $1500 in... August. I would have to convince my parents to give me an early birthday gift to help out with the rest of the payment which would be near impossible, considering my gushing about my existing Warwick and fretless project and my father's penchant for remembering one thing I've ever said and bringing it up repeatedly to use it against me to prove some sort of point (don't ever say anything, maybe?). Even then, is this bass priced to move? Would dude want to wait until August?

Echhh... there's so much going on right now that I know this shouldn't be a priority or important to me, but I simply cannot get the feel out of my fingers, the sound out of my ears, and the bass out of my head.

Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at May 25, 2008,
I would see if your guitar player would buy your strat off you now, if he does then you could sell the components from the fretless then maybe work for the rest of the money and get the Thumb.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Dude, I know that feeling.

Being 16 i haven't really had many epiphanies or "moments" with anything but on only one account i have also had the feel of a bass stay with me for long enough to know it's the bass for me.

Just two months ago it was nearing my birthday and my old bass just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Uncomfortable, muddy E, twangy G, just plain horrible. It certainly had had its time in the sun and was feeling the ware and tare of everyday playing. It was done for.

When trying out new basses i went for everything and anything, price range or not. Stingers, Warwicks, Ps etc. From Squires to deluxe's. Staggs to Sg2 Streamers. Everything.
I'll tell you what there are some magnificent basses out there, true works of art in Bass format.

But the only bass that gave me that feeling was a Highway 1 Jazz bass at a local store. Everything was perfect, only problem being i couldn't really afford it. For weeks i didn't even touch my bass at home because i knew it wouldn't feel like that bass.

Long story short I'm 500$ in debt and never happier.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Check if the store would be prepared to hold the bass for you. If you know the guy or he's generous, he might be prepared to stick it in a back room for a bit while you make up your mind.

Secondly, look into selling other stuff, not necessarily music-related. Anything you have that you don't need, but is worth a bit of cash. That includes the body of the bass you've been building-there's an entire board of people who're into making their own instruments, and I'm sure a few of them wouldn't mind having a nice bass body already done.

Thirdly, see if you can buy the bass on installments. I realise that this will probably end up costing $3000 instead of $2500, but that's unavoidable. The store owner will almost certainly be happy to do it, because it's guaranteed income, and overall more of it.
It sounds like you already know you want the bass, but are just worrying financially.

Try asking the store owner to hold the bass for a month or two while to you try to get the funds together to pay for it. As you said yourself, you felt this was a good as fretless got. Sadly, custom projects generally turn out as high quality as a well built bass, unless the builder really knows what they are doing. On that alone, I would suggest putting the custom on hold, or even selling parts to raise money. The Warwick is second hand, you should be able to sell it at a similar price to what you get it for. Sadly, that won't happen with a bass you have built yourself.

The only possible fault in it is the wear on the fingerboard. That does raise the question of if you want to coat the fingerboard, or if you will accept gradual wear. Just another thing to consider, as a fretboard replacement is not cheap at all, and if you keep the bass for another 10 years with roundwounds on it, it will need to be done eventually.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 25, 2008,
How often do you come across a bass that feels like its been built for you and you alone. I think the question you should be asking yourself is, if i dont buy this bass, will i be regretting it for the rest of my bass playing years.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
You could see about getting the bass on credit and paying it back over a couple of years. Even if you have to pay some interest it'd help you out by spreading the cost.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
if you do sell both your warwick and your start according to your thread youll have 2100 dollars and there's always somewhere you can sell a bass so i dont see what the trouble financially and if your to young like me to get a job in a supermarket packing shelves or something do some work for your parents or nextdoor neighbour. And 2500 is alot so there wont be a great amount of people looking at it so youve got a good chance. And in my words "GET THE DAMN BASS NOW" there you go
Fitz, Several comments.

If you are going to purchase a high end bass, now is the time to do it. At this point, there are really no huge fiscal conflicts (bills, mortgage , house repairs--you get my drift). Its hard to justify a 2000 + bass when that equals your monthly house payment.

Ask the owner to hold it for you and if after a day or two, you still are called by the bass, then start talking about down payments and payment plans. Most store owners are willing to make some sort of arrangement; its a financial liability to have inventory, esp. high end inventory around too long.
Quote by thefitz
OK, technically my mid life had to have taken place when I was 13 and a half (whereas now it'd be about my 4/5ths life crisis), but here's what's on my mind.(

do you plan on dying at 26 or something?...

I say wait until August. For $2500 at somewhere other than a Guitar Center, there's a big chance it's still gonna be there. Just be sure to check the day before you sell that strat.. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
tell a bank you're buying a cheap car and get a loan maybe?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
do it.
I would. It sounds like a great bass. I know you know a little about them bass guitars, and wenge=win. Plus, your project can wait.
try this- play slap and mozart on a street corner with a bucket in front of you. At the very least, you'll have ten bucks and an awesome story.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Now you've got me gassing for a fretless NT thumb (5 or 6 string, wenge neck) and well as a Bongo (again, 5 or 6 string).

Curses.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
if the bass is that nice, i say sell the least played instruments you own, and buy it.
they may not offer a payment option, on a consignment bass. but if their asking $2500, i bet it can be had for $1800 or so. good luck! hope you find a way.
$2500? Pah! my bass and amp cost me £60, And It's a beast.

It sounds like you've fallen in love with it though, $2500's about the price of a gibson standard, isn't it? so if you put it in perspective, it's about the same as most guitarists would pay for their dream guitar...
That bass is priced to move though. A new thumb NT would cost at least $4000. I would make a move soon.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ooh- that mean resale would go ^. do it now! you can always sell it again.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

To be honest, it sounds as if your mind is really made up. How often do you play a bass that really speaks to you?

I think anarkee's advice is pretty solid. See if they'll hold it for you for a couple of days, then if the "I must have it!" hasn't worn off.. go back in and play it again. If it's as good as you remember, buy that bad boy.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by watchingmefall
Do you have a girlfriend/wife/boyfriend fitz? No
Then buy it.

wait a tick, are you actually anarkee's son? lol. leave it to the mod(s) to get off topic...
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
wait a tick, are you actually anarkee's son? lol. leave it to the mod(s) to get off topic...

Yes Dan....there was that southern trip to San Diego and I crossed the border and went into that cantina in Tijuana. The moonlight, tequila and that Cumbia band...umm...yeah...uhhh......

So, yeah Fitz! Did you buy that damn bass yet?
fitz, if you do get it, make it next BOTM.
I order you to do so.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by UtBDan
do you plan on dying at 26 or something?...

27, man! Isn't that the cool number?

But yeah, for some reason I have the feeling that it'll stick around for a long time. But, at the same time, I could see it sell really quick, however, the store isn't really a bass store. The idea of seeing if it's still there before I sell the Strat is actually a good one - if it is, it's meant to be, right?

As of this exact moment, it isn't feasible. I hopefully will start working early June, so we'll see what happens then. Just right now, it can't happen, and I'll admit, my GASing has subsided a little since when I wrote it. The throbbing hormonal urges are a bit more managable.

But I know my project will turn out 100% perfectly because the dude working on it has the hands of a god. It'll turn out top of the line, I know it. However, fundamentally since it's a bolt on with 20 frets and passive electronics it's a totally different playing beast.

So yeah - as of now I can't see it happening, but by and by we'll see what the future holds.

Quote by watchingmefall
Do you have a girlfriend/wife/boyfriend fitz? No
Then buy it.

No, but hookers cost a lot, man.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I understand your position perfectly. It's what I went thro' with the Fender. I near enough sold the shirt off my back to get it. But I was single, living at home, and could sweet talk my folks into holding off the rent for a month or two. It took all my savings, and more. With my share of bills, and kids to look after, I wouldn't do it now.
But, I was sure the P was my forever bass, and it is. Not only is it a joy to play, it's a rarity, and an appreciating one at that. This Warwick could well be the same. I reckon the price is damn good (It's a guess tho'...), and it's a solid piece that'll be playable when it gets handed down to your grandkids...
Do it. You know you want to. You'll find a way.
I'll have to wait until the guitar player at LEAST gives me some cash for the Strat. He says $500 a month in June, July, August.

BTW, here's the bass:

http://www.theguitarshop.ca/features.php?id=437
Quote by Cody_Grey102
My buddy made me do a blindfold test with guitars and I picked all the pickups. I knew my EMGs, but they just sounded fantastic, really. Keep in mind it's a grand scheme - the wood, the preamp, etc. I never said they sounded bad, just that they're a bit sterile, which wasn't too distracting here. Although that same buddy chewed me out a bit too.

Oh, and I figure that I'm getting such a surprisingly good tone out of my existing stack that the Eden to me can't possibly be THAT much of an upgrade. I figure I'll stick with it until magic happens.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I'll have to wait until the guitar player at LEAST gives me some cash for the Strat. He says $500 a month in June, July, August.

BTW, here's the bass:

http://www.theguitarshop.ca/features.php?id=437

Oooh, how German that Bass is. It is so modern that it looks as if it came straight off the shelves at Ikea.
Ikea is Swedish isn't it? And Thefitz that's an amazing looking bass.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Yes Ikea is straight out of Stockholm. Where else can you get a bookcase line called "FLÄRKE"?

Fitz that is a fine looking bass. I can understand the GAS completely.
Quote by anarkee
Yes Ikea is straight out of Stockholm. Where else can you get a bookcase line called "FLÄRKE"?

I was at Ikea buying some cutlery called "BONUS". I was like 'what the FLÄRKE'?

Quote by RockDJ
Sweden and Germany are both 'hip' and 'modern' European companies.

Ah, yes. I think Germany is one of my favourite European companies.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at May 27, 2008,
Ah, yes. I think Germany is one of my favourite European companies.

Although historically, they have been convicted of unfair market practices, shown to have a low standard of corporate ethics, and been involved in several hostile takeovers. :P