I was thinking of painting my glossy, gold ESP explorer black.

So question time

A. How hard is it? Is it hard or is it just time consuming?
B. Do i need any special tools for removing the paint/ painting?
C. Do i put anything on the wood before i paint?
D. What paint to use?

You dont have to answer ALL of these questions but it would be nice

EDIT: Or should i just someone else to do it? =\
Last edited by the_poison125 at May 25, 2008,
This is a little off topic, but I think it's going to look sweet! My lead guitarist has a black one, it's a sexy beast
A. its kinda both. its hard if you have never done it befor or have limited know how on the subject. and it is time consumeing. it should take about a month till you can play the guitar again.

B. some tools are required for good results. you will need to know how to work a sander. have or know someone that has a paint gun. also know how to look for low and high spots in the wood after the finish is taken off.

C. for good results you should. you should use a wood primer, and there are a few others like adheasion agents.

D. there are many forms of paint. if you want a good paint job id recomend house of kolour or sherwin williams. but there are many cheaper paints that will work just as well.

i would recomend seeing if you know anyone that has eather painted guitars or even cars befor and has the equipment. and see if you could work on it together. then you will know how to do this the next time you want to do it.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
A. its kinda both. its hard if you have never done it befor or have limited know how on the subject. and it is time consumeing. it should take about a month till you can play the guitar again.

B. some tools are required for good results. you will need to know how to work a sander. have or know someone that has a paint gun. also know how to look for low and high spots in the wood after the finish is taken off.

C. for good results you should. you should use a wood primer, and there are a few others like adheasion agents.

D. there are many forms of paint. if you want a good paint job id recomend house of kolour or sherwin williams. but there are many cheaper paints that will work just as well.

i would recomend seeing if you know anyone that has eather painted guitars or even cars befor and has the equipment. and see if you could work on it together. then you will know how to do this the next time you want to do it.

Thanks for the help man.

Unfortunately no one i know has ever painted a guitar.

EDIT: Its not really looking good for me. How much is it to get someone else to do it? (You know. As a backup.)
it all depends. you also got to figure in the paint cost, materials such as sand paper, primer, clear coat and such, and the labor time.

all together you lookin at about 150-250 bucks.

there was a book put out not too long ago on doing this with just simple spray cans. you could look it up on google.

i would sugest you get a crap guitar to try it out on first, something to practice with.
Its alot of labor and you wont have a guitar for a while. Every bit of hardware has to come off. And sometimes you can get away with scuffing the paint and painting over the old. Not the best way but will work. You can use spray cans but wont get the best of results. Best way is to sand it to bare wood, then use sealer or primer. I have used spray paint for the solid color you can get some nice metal flake at auto part places. But use urethane car clear coat which takes a gun and you gotta let it cure for a week for best results. Laquer is alot of work and the stuff in spray cans from walmart is junk. And then you need to sand with 1500 grit paper and polish if you want that good mirror guitar paint job, thats alot of work.
Quote by the_poison125
I was thinking of painting my glossy, gold ESP explorer black.

So question time

A. How hard is it? Is it hard or is it just time consuming?
B. Do i need any special tools for removing the paint/ painting?
C. Do i put anything on the wood before i paint?
D. What paint to use?

A. Very Easy. Time Consuming,.
B. I use a basic sander, makes work easier.
C. Primer. Krylon rattlecans works quite well.
D. I use rustoleum rattlecans and it turned out great.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...