I want to make a heavy metal ukelale sometime this year. (find my thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14409874#post14409874)

I'll get my mate to draw something cool (suggestions for the design welcome) on it. do the electronics myself / with my dad.

But the pickup... Since this will probably lay discarded in a box somewhere about a month after i make it, i want it to be very cheap.

I live in Australia so everything musical here cost an ass load... Any suggestions? Any Australians wanna sell me a pickup?

The ukelale will be from a pawn shop.
well I don't think there are a lot of options out there for ukulele pickups most of them are transducer or piezo systems which cost a lot and are a major pain in the ass to install, you could try to git a regular magnetic mandolin pup on there, but I don't know if the string spacing would be right.

ahh found a couple http://www.themusicmotel.com/gear_box/list.asp?catid=477&vid=639

but yeah, be warned that installing these is a major pain in the ass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well I don't think there are a lot of options out there for ukulele pickups most of them are transducer or piezo systems which cost a lot and are a major pain in the ass to install, you could try to git a regular magnetic mandolin pup on there, but I don't know if the string spacing would be right.

Cant i stick a guitar pickup in it?
Quote by the_poison125
Cant i stick a guitar pickup in it?

you'd need to find steel or nickel plated/wrapped uke strings, which i haven't seen before, for that to work, also the string spacing would be really messed up.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you'd need to find steel or nickel plated/wrapped uke strings, which i haven't seen before, for that to work, also the string spacing would be really messed up.

Damn...

I could make a piezo pickup easily but it wont be very "metal"...

Hmmm....
Quote by the_poison125
Damn...

I could make a piezo pickup easily but it wont be very "metal"...

Hmmm....

It'll sound ok with distortion, I used to do that with my acoustic all the time.

I mean it won't exactly sound good, but it will work.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It'll sound ok with distortion, I used to do that with my acoustic all the time.

I mean it won't exactly sound good, but it will work.

Hmm... Thanks man you've helped me allot
just use a guitar pup... the spacing isn't a big deal at all. as long as it's in the magnetic field it will sound fine, the strings on the guitar are lined up the the pups for looks not sound
wouldn't the steel strings just destroy the small neck?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass