What is the best phaser. I have tried the boss, which i liked and have heard the MXR phase 90.

The problem with the phase 90 was the boss had so much more control then just rate.

Anyway what would you recommend, any new suggestions are welcome.

Don't think what i play matters but... Dream Theater, RATM, satch, vai, cream, dire straits, led zeppelin, hendrix, etc...

I also play a fair bit of experimental psychedelic-rock with jazz influences, so i want a variety of sounds.
the two most common answers you will get are the MXR Phase 90 and the EHX Small Clone (which I prefer) I thought the Boss was ok, it had more control but the sound quality was a bit lacking. MXR makes (or made) a Phase 120 which gives you a lot more control and still has the general character of the Phase 90.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i'm going to be an EHX fanboy and say "try the small stone".

^Kid Thorazine: you mean the small stone. the small clone = chorus. i wish those 2 didn't have such similar names/casing designs...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i'm going to be an EHX fanboy and say "try the small stone".

yeah the only thing in this case is that it has the same control scheme as the phase 90 with only the addition of a two position depth switch, that being said I love the Small Stone to death.

Last.fm
I'm not a fan of the MXR Phase 90, it's more of a cheesy '80s thing. The Small Stone, and Nano Small Stone are amazing.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
i prefer the Boss, but i need it for the Rise and Fall mode for a sonic intro to one of my band's songs. No other phaser can cover it. Dont like the Phase 90 although i have the Custom Variphase 90 and its great, i think it's cause i can control the mix, volume and can switch from the deep phase to a shallow phase whereas the pedal all you can control is rate.

The EHX Stereo Polyphase looks a cracking unit. If you want sonic go Boss, if you want classic go MXR Phase 90 or a Small Stone
from soundclips i like the homebrew electronics psilocybe. paul gilbert also likes them. he has a link to hbe on his website.
Phase 100 is exactly the same as the phase 90 but with a depth control, so if you like the sound i think thats the one for you.
i like the small stone, is there a difference between it and the nano version.
Also is there a similar sounding pedal with additional controls?
Circuit wise the nano and small stone are totally different, tonally, theyre very very similar.

That nano stone gets rid of the volume trop that the stone is well known for.
is the volume drop big? The music stores have the normal one on sale but not the nano
Quote by mulefish
i like the small stone, is there a difference between it and the nano version.
Also is there a similar sounding pedal with additional controls?

they sound pretty similar EHX also makes a pedal called the Stereo Polyphase go to thier website (ehx.com) and check the demo.

The volume drop is noticeable but not major on the Small Stone.

Last.fm
try out a retro-sonic phaser
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
best phaser? id have to say one of the best is the moog 6/12 step phaser. of course it is about 3 or 4 times as much as a phase 90...

if you want something fairly cheap that has a decent ammount of control and sounds good, look into the old boss phasers. stuff like the ph-1, ph-1r and ph-2. some of those can be found on ebay pretty much all the time. they sound much more natural than the ph-3 and have more control than the mxr or EHX.
To my ears, the "knobs turned a little further" on the (Nano) Small Stone than the Phase 90, allowing for a little more sweep. I also thought the tone was more lush on the Small Stone. The Nano Small Stone was also much less expensive than the Phase 90 when I bought it.

They are both good phasers, though -- I don't think you can go wrong with either. I wasn't taken the Boss phaser tone, although it did have more bells and whistles.