Ok.. Well Im pretty dam happy with my alternate picking technique but theory wise.. I need major help ... I can sweep pick... tap.. string skip (Kinda)

Basically when I improvise I either play the pentotonic scale.. a harmonic minor scale (I think...), and some other modal scale which i dont know the name of..
e-------------
b-------------
g-------------
d-------------
a------5-7-8
e-6-8-------- etc.

And basically its getting boring.. So ye i basically need a list about how I should go about learning some new shred stuff... Or at least tell me how you guys did it..
Thanks guys ..
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
well i cant shred but i do know all the modes and its easy to learn so learn that and i suggest if you want knew stuff to learn buy the licklibrary dvd-shredding with arpeggios, i think its exactly what u would be looking for
Well I don't want to sound like an elitist, but to make music sound fun and exciting you need to be musical... and that means to get out of terms like "shred" and "alt picking" and "speedpicking patterns" and start to look at melodies and chords. You know, look at Mozart's March of the Turks. It's fast as hell but it's catchy and ultra-melodic. Mozart didn't write this because he sat at home practicing shred with a metronome, he simply had a huge theoretical knowledge and knew how different notes worked together. He didn't write the piece to be "shred", he just wanted to make music.

So to develop as a "shredder" you need to develop as a musician and songwriter aswell, because good music is a combination of several skills and if you only focus on one it WILL sound boring and scalar.
Everyone will say the same as this:
Learn your scales first, this means major, minor and all modes. After you're comfortable with scale construction you should delve into arpeggios and whatnot.
If you're bored of improvising, get the tabs to a piece you like and learn the chord progression;after learning you modes and arpeggios you will see how many different things can fit inside the chordal structure of the song.
Quote by Aziraphale
start to look at melodies and chords..

Yes. If you gain an understanding of how to construct chords/arps you can create strong melodies.