Im not a bad guitarist, but I do admit I don't know everything I should. I only know one scale (Thats a no-no) which is the blues scale. Im an excellent rhythm guitarist, and good lead guitarist, and a beginner solo guitarist. I've created about 3 songs, all rhythm... my problem is that I dont know how to write a Lead part that blends in and fits with the song, let a lone make a decent solo. So do you think you can list some things to get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.
To create a good lead melodie over a rythm part you should just come up with a tune in your head and work it out on guitar (or piano or whatever).

However, I highly recommend to first come up with a lead melodie and then look for chords wich suit the melodie. This because the melodie is (IMO) the most important part of a song. For example: If you sing along with a song on the radio, you sing along with the melodie, not with the chords, drums, whatever.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
learn more scales?
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by lead_zeppelin
To create a good lead melodie over a rythm part you should just come up with a tune in your head and work it out on guitar (or piano or whatever).

However, I highly recommend to first come up with a lead melodie and then look for chords wich suit the melodie. This because the melodie is (IMO) the most important part of a song. For example: If you sing along with a song on the radio, you sing along with the melodie, not with the chords, drums, whatever.

Makes sense. Thanks. =)
Get some standard music theory...an easy blues sample Am | E7 |G7|CM
You can play minor pentonic A over it,it's just the same thing with all other easy blues/rock/pop songs
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Last edited by K!nj! at May 25, 2008,
theres 2 ways of doing it.
The non-theory way and the theory way.

non-theory
This is probably the simplist. All you need to do is listen to the chord progression and think of a solo or whatnot in your head. You can then choose to either go straight into the guitar and play it straight away, or you can record yourself humming it and learn it by ear.

I prefer the latter because its easier to remember what you hummed and play it how you like.

Using theory
You will need a knowledge of modes. Work out what scale your progression is in, then use a relative mode to build a solo over it.

I wont explain how to fully use the theory method because ill be here forever, but if you dont know theory, the best way is to use the non-theory way.
Been away, am back