i thought it'd be good to do a thread where everyone can submit one or 2 (at a time) exercises they have made up, why you made it like that, and then we all critique each others, say if it's useful or **** or any of that.

for example:
i decided i could do with being able to cleanly alternate pick with string skipping, so i took lick a, which is from a song by children of bodom, and turned it into lick b.

lick a:
| 14-12-10--------------15-14-12-------------------------------------|
| -------------14-12-10--------------15-14-12------------------------|
| ----------------------------------------------------14-12-11-----------|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------14-12~-|
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

lick b:
| 10-12-14--------------12-14-15---------------|
| ---------------------------------------10-12-14-|
| -------------11-12-14---------------------------|
| ----------------------------------------------------|

riff b is in an ascending pattern simply because i am better with descending patterns. and yes, i know it's simple as, but i'm not very good

lets see if this catches on.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Last edited by pistols at May 28, 2008,
Just a scalar legato exercise, but picking only the very first note - good for finger strength and coordination and of course hammering onto an open string

|-13-12-10------------------------------------------|
|----------13-12-10---------------------------------|
|-------------------12-10-9-------------------------|
|---------------------------12-10-9-----------------|
|-----------------------------------12-10-8---------|
|-------------------------------------------12-10-8-|

^  P  P  H  P  P  H  P  P  H P  P H  P  P H  P  P

^ = Pick
P = Pull off
H = Hammer on

Good luck
good exercise man, i might have to put that in my routine

i thought this would be a bit more popular...damn.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Nice excercises.
Here is a good legato one: similar to the other scalar legato one since it has hammer ons from no where.

--10h12p8h10----8-------------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
-------------12t--10h12p8h10----8---------------------------------|----------------------------||
-----------------------------12t--10h12p9h10----9-----------------|----------------------------||
---------------------------------------------12t--10h12p9h10----9-|----------------------------||
-------------------------------------------------------------12t--|--10h12p8h10----8-----------||
------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------12t--10h12p8---||
Here's one I wrote up a while ago.. Never got it too fast, but I'm sure it if you're able to it will help.

those are great, hard to play fast (i guess i could say for an 'imtermediate' guitarist, since that's basically me) but good to work away at.

how do i do that code thing? makes the tab a lot easier to read than what i did
Quote by B4Dkarma

Quote by diminishedtobme
Nice excercises.
Here is a good legato one: similar to the other scalar legato one since it has hammer ons from no where.

--10h12p8h10----8-------------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
-------------12t--10h12p8h10----8---------------------------------|----------------------------||
-----------------------------12t--10h12p9h10----9-----------------|----------------------------||
---------------------------------------------12t--10h12p9h10----9-|----------------------------||
-------------------------------------------------------------12t--|--10h12p8h10----8-----------||
------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------12t--10h12p8---||

You stole that from Freepower! S'ok, it's still a sweet exercise.

^For the tabs, just put them in *tab* [/.code] tags (without the period). It just puts it in ASCII so that all of the characters are the same size.
Quote by which ones pink
It just puts it in ASCII so that all of the characters are the same size.

Sorry to be anal but it's not put into ASCII; it just changes the font so it is in something that has same size characters (I think it's Courier New); most text is stored in ASCII format.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sorry i Ain't steve vai...yet :P This is just a simple excercise in G Ionian or E Minor
E| 0-2-3-5----------------0-5-7-8------------0-7-8-10-------------0-10-12-12s15p14----|
B| -------------0-3-5-7-------------0-5-7-8--------------0-7-8-10-----------------------------|
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sorry to be anal but it's not put into ASCII; it just changes the font so it is in something that has same size characters (I think it's Courier New); most text is stored in ASCII format.

Ah, ok. Thanks for correcting me.

c wut I did there?
heres one in groups of 4 ,you can play the pattern on any string you like I play it on the 4th string because I like the way it sounds palm muted.Another great thing is it forces you to use all you fingers in combinations other than your usual ascend and descend patterns.

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
b|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
g|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
d|-4542-5754-7975-91097-1012109-12141210-14161412-16171614-----------------------------
a|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took a pattern from petruccis rock discipline and expanded it

a great chromatic exercise kindly an excerpt from beast and the harlot, but instead In ascend as I go from high to low group these in four note groupings all tough its pretty obvious

e|-12131415----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|---------------12131415------------------------------12131415-------------------------------------|
g|-----------------------------12131415--------------------------------12131415---------------------|
d|------------------------------------------12131415----------------------------------12131415etc...|
a|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S     S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S     S  S S  S  S S  S  S S  S  S  S S  S  S S  
E||--15-14-12----------------12-14-15-14-12----------|--14-12-10----------------10-12-14-12-10----------|--12-10-8---------------8-10-12-10-8---------|
B||-----------------------------------------15-13-12-|-----------------------------------------13-12-10-|-------------------------------------12-10-8-|
G||-----------16-14-12-14-16-------------------------|-----------14-12-11-12-14-------------------------|----------12-11-9-11-12----------------------|
D||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|

S S S  S S S S  S S S  S S S  S S S   
--11-8-7-------------7-8-11-8-7--------||
--------------------------------10-8-7-||
---------11-9-8-9-11-------------------||
---------------------------------------||

Good string skipping/alt picking. It's E minor arpeggio followed by D Mixolydian, C Lydian, then B Harmonic Minor.

I've got a bunch of thinks like this from my teacher. I find them more interesting than most practice exercises because they actually feel like you're playing something, rather than boring runs that go nowhere.
I got tired of the chromatic scale so I messed a bit with it, not sure how known is the one I'm suggesting since its pretty basic in idea, I would like to hear the comments of people who tried/are willing to try it it since I found it pretty useful myself, I apologize if the tabs are not that clear, its my first post.

I just play it up and down strokes on slow and fast tempos.

E |------------|-----------|----------4-|--1----------|-------------|
B |----------- |---------4-|-------3----|-----2-------|--1---------|
G |-------4---|-------3---|----2-------|---------3---|-----2------|
D |-----3-----|----2------|-1----------|-----------4-|--------3---|
A |---2-------|-1---------|-------------|-------------|-----------4-|
E |-1---------|------------|------------|--------------|-------------|

Then I would reach to the 12th fret and start descending

E |------------|-------------|-----------9-|-12----------|---------------|
B |----------- |-----------9-|--------10--|-----11------|--12----------|
G |--------9--|-------10---|-----11-----|---------10--|------11------|
D |------10---|----11------|-12--------|-------------9|---------10---|
A |----11-----|-12---------|-------------|--------------|-------------9-|
E |-12--------|-------------|-------------|--------------|----------------|
If you have it , techniques come by practice .. but it's not about techniques........ it's about choosing the right notes
Quote by Talusan

Good string skipping/alt picking. It's E minor arpeggio followed by D Mixolydian, C Lydian, then B Harmonic Minor.

I've got a bunch of thinks like this from my teacher. I find them more interesting than most practice exercises because they actually feel like you're playing something, rather than boring runs that go nowhere.

That excercise was good can you post any others you got?
Good thread idea. These are already becoming very helpful.

BTW, is the first lick from Kissing the Shadows?
Ben