Okay guys.... GCSE's coming up soon and i've just realised that i cant write music for ****. can someone give me some bullet points on how to write a song (musically not lyrically) to get me going in the right direction?

thanks, Aidan
hmm, pick a key and scale and improvise around that until u get a good solid section, then work off that,

Start with a basic melody and then grow it into something that is great for ears to listen to but also really awesome to play

keep the structure simple until u got a solid amoount of material then branch off into more variated sections and or more riffs
its all different for different people, and different songs.

i usually start with the chords, and/or the rhythm, then i build a lead melody around that.

then i grow it, add in drums, more textures etc until its so awesome.

PS. your name backwards is Nadia. Girl.
Well enough said. 1 3 5 root third fifth and/or seventh. I just think out side the box but that is in side the box technique. Be creative with the theory. Know the notes in a given scale and don't stray unless you change keys. Ex. Key of E F# G# A B C# D# E Think out a little progression like E G# F# B . Your imagination is the limit. Anything works as long as it's in that scale. But don't let me exempt any other theory possibilities just trying the basic. Other idea's on this process. Structure like riff A riff B riff A riff.
You can arrange. like A B A A B C A AABC it's all about what you feel.
Last edited by Herotime at May 25, 2008,
theres really no one way to write songs, everyone does it differently. i usually just mess around on my guitar until i make something up, and develop small ideas. but if your having a hard time writing maybe you should work on developing your guitar skills by learning songs or scales for a while, and then use that as inspiration.
Quote by Martindecorum
hmm, pick a key and scale and improvise around that until u get a good solid section, then work off that,

Start with a basic melody and then grow it into something that is great for ears to listen to but also really awesome to play

keep the structure simple until u got a solid amoount of material then branch off into more variated sections and or more riffs

This is a good way to start but you don't necesserily need to improvise on a guitar, you can also improvise with your brain (come up with a tune in your head). If you came up with a good melody, work it out on guitar (or piano or whatever). Find suitable chords to backbone the melodie and voila: you've written yourself your own instrumental piece of music.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Quote by lead_zeppelin
This is a good way to start but you don't necesserily need to improvise on a guitar, you can also improvise with your brain (come up with a tune in your head). If you came up with a good melody, work it out on guitar (or piano or whatever). Find suitable chords to backbone the melodie and voila: you've written yourself your own instrumental piece of music.

Yeah def, any way that u can get inspiration or ideas of music do it, realistically there is no right or wrong
Get a chord book, and just start playing chords. Sometimes put two chords together. It should stir things up in the ol' noggin, and evoke some emotions.