My brother is getting into playing, and he has a cheap $120 guitar that breaks on him every other week. He is left handed, and most shops dont have that much of a selection. So my family is gonna help him out by getting him a new guitar. Im looking for something that will last him a while, and that has a good tone and playability right out of the box. He plays a lot of hard rock and some metal stuff, which hes getting into. I was thinking of maybe a left handed Epiphone G-400, as its all mahogany, has Alnico V pickups, which I can swap out for him at a later time if he wants, and I know that the G-400 series has a good rep. What Im wondering about though is the quality of the electronics, because thats what is mainly wrong with his current guitar. If anyone has this, or has any other suggestions under $400, let me know. Thanks!
Quote by CorvetteRick
Get him a right handed guitar and restring it... that'd badass

i agree. try getting a right handed guitar and modify it. just reverse the nut.
Quote by CorvetteRick
Get him a right handed guitar and restring it... that'd badass

Hard to play though.
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
G-400 sounds good, I don't see any problems with the electronics coming your way. Though I don't know anybody who owns that guitar, I know some who have even cheaper Epis and don't ever have problems with the electronics. You might want to have it properly set up though, Epi's often don't play well right out of the box.

Other suggestions:
Ibanez RG321 - I think I don't need to say anything about this guitar, it has quite a reputation on these boards.
Yamaha Pacifica 412V - seriously underrated guitar. It looks somewhat like a strat, with HSS configuration and a decent tremolo. Build quality is very good and don't be fooled by the pickups; they are not any name brand pus, but are made by Yamaha and sound great for the price.
also check out agiles. for $400 you'll do really well.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss6.html

epis are fine. and the g-400 is the lowest model to consider from them.

the only usual suspect will be a shoddy pickup switch.
so dont use it as a kill switch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
schecter omen or damien should suit him well
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
For the love of God, don't just reverse a nut. Nuts face one direction for a reason, reversing it would just cause permanent string buzz.
Quote by wanderingguitar
For the love of God, don't just reverse a nut. Nuts face one direction for a reason, reversing it would just cause permanent string buzz.

+1
just buy a left handed SG. They sell them on MF.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.