Page 1 of 2
The title says it all. I have a Standard HSS strat and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. I want a sound similar to thrash metal(e.c.Metallica) and NWOBHM(e.c.Iron Maiden). I'm not much of a fan of Death Metal, but it would be nice to have that sound. I have around $300 dollars to spend.
Best you can go for with that price range is solid state, so I guess roland cube 60. Those can do metal pretty well.

Unless you go used.
Gotta go with Randall

Jackson DXMG (2 81's), Squier Strat (Hot Rails), BC Rich Eagle (Bill Lawrence L500XL) >
MXR 6 Band EQ >
Rocktron Studio HUSH >
Randall RH200 >
Marshall 2x12
all through Monster cable..

'I got blisters on me fingers!'
Hands down the Vox AD30VT-XL is the best amp for metal for that price
Ibanez RGT42FX
Vox AD30VT-XL

Quote by Attack
No. In Soviet Russia, Hell goes to you,
For $300 you wish
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
An MG! the OD is CRUSHING!
/sarcasm

I'd say a Vk112
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Valveking 112

Do yourself a favor and don't get a solid state.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I had $500 and bought myself the Valveking 100 watt head... for $300, the tone is awesome, but you will need a compressor pedal or rack effect. definately. I can get alot of gain out of it, just by adjusting the EQ settings... it really is a Nice amp. go for that if you can. I am going to mod the amp, change the rectifier to a triple tube rec, sort of like my favorite mesa. and then I will add a couple of poweramp tubes...

if there was no price range that I would say Mesa Boogie Triple rec... which is my dream amp.
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
les paul model i built myself
Big muff
squire bullet soon to be hot rodded
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

"I'm still trying to figure
out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
this is a kind of stupid question but can you play with just a head? no cab
Quote by lowaxnjackson
Gotta go with Randall

+1

Go Randall or GTFO!
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DXMGT
Jackson Rhoads V
Jackson Stealth
Yahmaha El-Cheapo Acoustic

Randall G2
Randall Cyclone
Behringer 4x12 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR Fullbore Metal
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
ISP Decimator
A new guitar or pickup change would probably be good too... strats don't really handle metal that well
Quote by kckyle
300....i'll have to go with the line 6 on that one. since they use celestion even though is a solidstate.

get a Cube.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by kckyle
300....i'll have to go with the line 6 on that one. since they use celestion even though is a solidstate.

Because the speaker is really all that matters

I'd say go with the Blackheart BH5-112, although the DS-1 isn't anything special. But it will do for now.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I use a valve junior and boss metal core for practice. A setup like that is pretty good and sounds pretty metal. I also use an mxr smart gate, line 6 dl4 and an OD for some tonal variety but you don't NEED anything else.
Quote by psychedelic14
A new guitar or pickup change would probably be good too... strats don't really handle metal that well

um...ever heard of a little band called....oh gee whats their name again??....Oh wait I remember...IRON MAIDEN.

and with 300bucks he is sooo going to get all you suggested And a new amp??

I'd say Valveking...then save up again for a tube sreamer
Quote by gurg06
um...ever heard of a little band called....oh gee whats their name again??....Oh wait I remember...IRON MAIDEN.

1. Iron Maiden changed the pickups in their strats... Fenders with stock pickups can't handle much distortion.

2. I was just suggesting that a new guitar or new pickups would be good if he was to play metal. No need to get b*tchy.
Quote by psychedelic14
1. Iron Maiden changed the pickups in their strats... Fenders with stock pickups can't handle much distortion.

2. I was just suggesting that a new guitar or new pickups would be good if he was to play metal. No need to get b*tchy.

That's absolute bull****, put an HSS Strat in front of a JSX on the Ultra channel and then talk to me about that.
find an old used Randall, or if u can find one cheap enough, a Krank. But Peavey valvekings are great, and they are cheap new.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
I say look for a Randall.
I tried a Valveking, but the distortion wasn't as sharp as I liked it, and Randall was exactly what I was looking for.
By the way, if you have a musician's friend clearance center nearby (there is one in Kansas City, where I live), look around in there. They get all of the returns, most of which have very few problems if any at all.
I got a Randall RG50TC new for $300 with only a blown pre amp tube, easy $15 fix
a lot of people are saying not get the MG amps, but i see in other places saying its really good, even in the UG reviews the MG100DFX (something i am considering to get or the valveking 112, but cant decide), was rated all 10s. so like why is it so bad? sorry i am not good with amps.

and ye i think you should get a VK 112, but its a somewhat over $300.
people get excited about the gear they buy.. you can find glowing reviews for every piece of gear. though not too many people go back and write another review when "the honeymoon's over" so pay attention to the depth of the reviews you read.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by lowaxnjackson
Gotta go with Randall

thats all that needs to be said
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by TheRstar
a lot of people are saying not get the MG amps, but i see in other places saying its really good, even in the UG reviews the MG100DFX (something i am considering to get or the valveking 112, but cant decide), was rated all 10s. so like why is it so bad? sorry i am not good with amps.

and ye i think you should get a VK 112, but its a somewhat over $300.

you dont need 100 watts, a valveking combo might suit you. Although it going to get loud. As for a marshall mg just dont... I don't mean to flame or anything but they are beginners amp. Low quality parts and construction. Marshall knows the power of their name so they use it to help sell these low end amps. And its honestly a great strategy.

But the reason you always see a bunch of reviews is that its usually kids who get these amps as there first amps, have no ear for tone and think its the coolest thing even. It happend. I have a 15g frontman when i first started playing and I thought it was the ****, but after a year of playing I couldn't take it anymore.

I definately recommend getting something. 60 watts is plenty of power. and even enough to gig with. And if you needed it louder you could always get it miced. And tube amps are even louder...But you don't need a half stack. You just don't unless your going to be playing at venues with hundreds of people...

Like everyone is saying, randall's are nice as hell, and a valveking is a solid tube amp. I didn't particularly like the sound of it when I tried it, and i got my b-52 instead. But i guess its just all preference
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Im getting a new amp this year! im getting a zakk style marshall micro stack. it has 2x100watt speakers and a 15 watt head!!
pantera-addict x getcha' pull
Pantera-Addict
I had the Marshall MG100HDFX halfstack and it served me well in the time I had it, but one day I just needed more colour in my sound than what the MG could provide.

I then (rather impulsively) bought my Randall RH150G3 halfstack and I simply love it! I would recommend you to buy a Randall. They're not that expensive and they deliever serious tone! I think the RG100G3 combo would suit you well, but I don't know if it's within your budget or not!

Good luck with the amp hunt

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Valveking 112 is $400, so with a $300 limit, that's pretty much out. Plus, my opinion when I tried it was that the gain sounded pretty generic, and when you dimed the gain, the sound got flabby and very distorted in a bad way. I found that the gain on the Crate V15 that I ultimately bought was much nicer sounding, especially dimed.

However, I've found that in general, cascading your gain over a couple of preamp stages results in a much better sounding, more articulate gain. In other words, I get some of my gain from a pedal and some from the preamp. Having that pedal also gives you more versatility to get different types of sounds.
Quote by Pantera-Addict
Im getting a new amp this year! im getting a zakk style marshall micro stack. it has 2x100watt speakers and a 15 watt head!!
pantera-addict x getcha' pull

*face palm*

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by Pizza The Hut
Is this a joke question?

Any tube amp built by Marshall.

is that a joek answer?
marshall are the most overpriced amps now
and for metal?
thats hilarious

DIezel, engl, framus, boogie, VHT?

and huever said line 6, thats jsut as bad...

buy amps used, defo.
Quote by gurg06

tbh now they use jackson's and smith has a sig model,

and maiden aren't metal imo

they were at the time, but not now,

now metal = drop C, peavery6505's/powerball's/fireball's/recto's/
Page 1 of 2