So my band is looking to make some decent quality recordings. We want to try recording all of us at once while we are just jamming. The guy at guitar center said a condenser microphone would be the best option to record drums, bass, and guitar at once.

So my question is whats a good condenser mic and how much are power supplies because we are just using a 4-track recorder so we won't have any phantom power.

Also, will these recordings sound that crappy since we're recording everything at once, or will they at least sound decent?

-Thanks
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Fender DG series acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
i think to save money just use a video camera and get the audio. it's a really cheap option and easy. it's good quality as well if it's an alright camera.
hello
Buy te condenser mic, thats really important, make your own pop eliminator plus eliminate all the extra pops digitally. Apply de-essers and there you have a decent voice.

If you say that everything is getting recorded at the time is gonna sound crappy man.
Record the drums first (if you can, one track for snare, one track for charles, etc.) Then The bass, then any other instruments, then the voice.

Audacity is free and its good enough, but if you are looking something more serious get adobe audition (any version is REALLY good)

To get a nice guitar, record approximately 1m away from the mic, if you want distortion, then make it further, about 2m, then you can add cosmetic effects to make it jam better and then apply de-esser.

To record the bass i also recommend you to record approximately 1m away from the mic.

With the drums record as further as you can (maximum 10m id say)

Whilre recording the voice, do whatever is possible to record standing, DONT PICK UP THE MIC, put it in 45 degree angle and make it about the same height as the vocalist's mouth.

Know, add whatever effects and cosmetics you think are good, adjust track pans and volumes correctly, TO DO THE FINAL MIX, DONT USE HEADPHONES!

There you got a decent recording.
Record the drums first (if you can, one track for snare, one track for charles, etc.)

If i wanted to record the drums track for track wouldn't I need to get a recorder that could record multiple tracks at a time. How much would one of those cost?
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
Quote by Universal_Mind
If i wanted to record the drums track for track wouldn't I need to get a recorder that could record multiple tracks at a time. How much would one of those cost?

just download audacity (it's free) and you can put the tracks together. remember when you're recording play the other tracks so you stay in time. the mixing is easy on it as well.
hello
Dont listen to the GC guys...they are just trying to sell you gear.

a single mic in the room wont do well at all and its always best to track each instrument one at a time.

Look over Tweaks Guide linked in my sig.

Quote by aaciseric
Why shoudln't use headphones for a final mix, I think that doing it with headphones is more advisable because you can hear every nuance.

http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at May 25, 2008,
Why shoudln't use headphones for a final mix, I think that doing it with headphones is more advisable because you can hear every nuance.
There's a link that moody can give you that explains why. It can be done of course, but it's just not advisable.

Actaderock, I have to know, what the hell is charles as part of a drum kit?

Anyway, as for the original topic, it will sound pretty poor to have one mic recording everything at the same time, but I suppose it might yield an ok result just for getting down ideas. However, it's much better to track instruments with separate mics to get a clean sound and be able to edit. This will cost a fair amount though. Do you have a budget to work with ?
There is poetry in despair.
I want to say around 300-400 dollars. I have an old school 4 track recorder but I'm thinking I should go ahead and by a new digital recorder with more than one input so I can record multiple instruments at a time.

Would something like this do the job?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR8-mkII-8Track-Digital-Recorder?sku=240343

That plus a few condenser mics would already be well into my budget.

What else would I need other than the mics and the recorder?

I'll read over that guide that moody linked to also.

- thanks in advance
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
...If you really want to record a live band, ( and get good results) you are going to have to lay down some serious money...
Im talking a digital mixer and multi track recorder.

my dream portable rig isnt high end but will cost quite a bit. I'm going for the Alesis HD24 recorder and a Yamaha 01V96V2 with ADAT card (which adds on another $500...)

I highly suggest something like the PreSonus Firestudio Project which is an 8 input firewire interface. It will let you record using a computer and should keep each track seperate.
If you don't have the cash to do live recording the best way and the most common way is to track each instrument one at a time.

Drums
Bass
Guitars
Vocals

This is how many studios do it because they either don't have enough inputs on their gear or they don't have enough rooms to keep everyone seperate. The mics will take in any little sound from around the room making mixing very hard...

Get yourself a few mics and I suggest the Fostex MR8HD over your choice. More inputs is very important and this gives more tracks to work with as well.
With the MR8HD you should get fair results by using 4 mics on drums.

You don't NEED a condenser mic to record, Ive heard that many times from guitar centers and it drives me crazy. I use a few condensers in my studio but I also use the Shure SM57 dynamic a lot as well. They work great for drums, guitar, and a lot of other audio sources.
The 57 will do vocals but I prefer something like the MXL 990 for that.