Hey dudes, I've been contemplating a new guitar for along time now.. I've had my mind on an SG standard.. I play lots of pop punk/pop rock, I like playing rock, classic rock.. Then harder music, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath.. So pretty much punk, rock, and metalcore.

I've seen every genre use an SG, almost every pop punk band today uses an sg or an lp. Rock, duh.. Underoath and TDWP uses SG's, theres probably more..

What do you guys think?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
TDWP endorses Schecter, i've only seen them play Schecter Hellraisers on stage.
But The SG seems like it would definitely be versatile enough.
An old friend of mine played death metal stuff with his SG standard.

EDIT: I also think one of the TDWP Guitarists uses a tempest.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
TDWP endorses Schecter, i've only seen them play Schecter Hellraisers on stage.
But The SG seems like it would definitely be versatile enough.
An old friend of mine played death metal stuff with his SG standard.

EDIT: I also think one of the TDWP Guitarists uses a tempest.

Well modern TDWP.. back when they used SG's.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

You sound like me, minus the classic rock. I'm happy with my SG. It seems to fit in everywhere. Do it!
Quote by dnamra13
no i wouldnt buy a sg simple because of the neck diving problem these guitars have

Yeah? Well, not much of a problem I'd say. My two guitars neck dive, but hey, you are grabbing the guitar by the neck, so there's no problem there.
sure
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Yes... get an SG NAO.
Literally, now, because GC's having a memorial day sale.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by tr3nt
Well modern TDWP.. back when they used SG's.

yeah thats true i believed they did a while ago.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-viper.html
ESP has a viper with Duncans, the white and gold hardware looks amazing.
But i prefer the look of SGs.
Just an alternative.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Yeah? Well, not much of a problem I'd say. My two guitars neck dive, but hey, you are grabbing the guitar by the neck, so there's no problem there.

I've been told a strap made from a high-friction material helps this. My nylon strap, of course, lets it take a dive immediately.
An SG would be a good choice
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by NemX162
I've been told a strap made from a high-friction material helps this. My nylon strap, of course, lets it take a dive immediately.

Atm, I've got a nylon one too, but I'm so worried about it falling apart. So I'm gonna buy a good one. I used to have this one but it was killing the lacquer.

Neckdiving ain't a problem.
I would buy used they go for around 900ish if I find a good deal.

That ESP is beautiful.. Eh..

Quote by NemX162

I've got a fairly plain leather one on mine and there's not a problem with it
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
i had a Gibson SG Standard, i cant recall having neck diving problems with it
I hate SGs, but they do fit that style of music.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
do er.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Icarus Lives
SGs are brilliant for distortion and over drive and they're Gibsons so they're not gonna let you down. They have a hotter signal than a Les Paul however so you may be stuck for a nice clean tone if ever you want one.

They won't do a decent clean tone?

Quote by tr3nt
Hey dudes, I've been contemplating a new guitar for along time now.. I've had my mind on an SG standard.. I play lots of pop punk/pop rock, I like playing rock, classic rock.. Then harder music, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath.. So pretty much punk, rock, and metalcore.

I've seen every genre use an SG, almost every pop punk band today uses an sg or an lp. Rock, duh.. Underoath and TDWP uses SG's, theres probably more..

What do you guys think?

That really is all you need to know. SGs are incredibly versatile guitars, ssince ounk and metalcore are more aggressive sounding forms of music, I'd say go with the SG over the LP, but it depends; are you talking about buying a Gibson? what is your price range?

Quote by Icarus Lives
SGs are brilliant for distortion and over drive and they're Gibsons so they're not gonna let you down. They have a hotter signal than a Les Paul however so you may be stuck for a nice clean tone if ever you want one.

This is very not true. SGs have great clean tone.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Yeah I'd get a Gibson. Used though. I always buy gear off eBay, I just bought a like new bad monkey for $29.. Thats like half price.

They go for around $900 on eBay. I have somewhere around $1100 right now I believe, I'd have to check my parents bank note thing, I just opened an account.

Then yeah, go for it. It's not a decision you'll regret. SG's are fantastic guitars.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I think I want one, now to decide, natural burst or heritage cherry..

I like natural burst :P.. and cherry

I'm not worried about that :P

Pop punk and screamo?

Don't do that to a poor, unsuspecting SG.

JK
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at May 25, 2008,
Quote by dannay
thats not punk you grubby twat. don't give us a bad name.

Nearly every pop punk band uses an SG or an LP, why would you flame me for that?