I agree with the mesa. We need a bit more info, what r u looking to buy? An amp or a guitar?

Also hows is ure EQ working? Worth the money?
Yeah my EQ is awesome, easily worth the $30.

I'm looking for an amp/overdrive or boost setup. Ill have the guitar covered.
I'd go with a marshall DSL. Then buy a tube screamer or just some OD pedal and youll get a great sound for classic metallica. Thats Alex Scholnick's setup in testament so it should sound great.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
they used mesa mark ii c+ amps... slaved with some kind of marshall power amp i think. but your best bet would be a mark III with the graphic EQ on it.
Well Enough Alone
Mark IV or Dual rectifier.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Marshall JCM800. I believe that's what they used for all those albums.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Studio Gear Used

* Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+
* Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp
* Marshall JCM 800
* Marshall JMP Heads
* Marshall 4x12 with 65 watt speakers
* Furman PQ4 parametric EQ
* Ibanez multi-effects box
* Mesa Boogie Heads slaved into Marshalls

A Fully upgraded Valveking can get you there... You will need a OD, EQ, Tube Swap and Speaker Swap
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Studio Gear Used

* Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+
* Marshall JCM 800
* Marshall JMP Heads

A Fully upgraded Valveking can get you there... You will need a OD, EQ, Tube Swap and Speaker Swap

I would say find a Mark IV because they used Mesas back then, and Mesas sound pretty unique, but if you can't for some reason..

I'd recommend the ValveKing head, a Maxon OD 808, MXR 10 Band, JJ tubes, and a cab that has Vintage 30's - if you decide to go that route.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Studio Gear Used

* Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+
* Marshall JCM 800
* Marshall JMP Heads

Yeah but he has $1500 to spare. If he had $1000 or less, that would be cool, but he doesn't need to cheap out on an amp that "can get him there".
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Yeah but he has $1500 to spare. If he had $1000 or less, that would be cool, but he doesn't need to cheap out on an amp that "can get him there".

I'm just throwing out options and it is an option. Mesa and Marshall have already been mentioned and i know for a fact the Valveking can get respectively close to Metallicas tone after upgrades. So why shouldn't it be mentioned....
Right now I have a XXX which is solid for metal, so if I could get that sound easily with a tube change and/or pedals please let me know.

I was thinking of maybe asking for a new amp next year for graduation, but if I can easily do it on my XXX I could save some cash.
wasn't RTL marshalls?

i'd try tweaking your xxx to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TJM2482
Right now I have a XXX which is solid for metal, so if I could get that sound easily with a tube change and/or pedals please let me know.

I was thinking of maybe asking for a new amp next year for graduation, but if I can easily do it on my XXX I could save some cash.

If you used the Crunch channel with a od pedal, speaker swap and eq you should be able to get pretty close.
What type of OD pedal would you guys recommend for my XXX? I was thinking maybe just a TS since they used those back in the day.

I bought my XXX used, so I have no idea what tubes are in it, and how old they are, so I may do a re-tubing this summer just cause. What tubes should I get? What speaker?
I'd get a Quad preamp and some kinda EL34 power amp maybe. AJFA and MOP should be pretty much nailed.
These go to eleven...
Alright cool. If I could just get more gain out of my crunch channel I'd love this amp like it's a child. Will the Tube Screamer act like a boost? Until now I've been told to put OD boxes and whatnot over the clean channel.
oh yeah, of course you could use a TS as a boost over your crunch channel. best bet is to try a bunch of ods over your crunch channel to see which you like best (but then you probably already knew that)...

I don't know who told you not to put boosts over your crunch channel, but they need a good kicking...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TJM2482
Looking for the tone on RTL, And Justice, and Puppets.

i think the main thing to focus on is marshall (my valvestate does metallica better than my dsl or 5150) and a substantial guitar rather than a superstrat. Hetfield gotta lot of tone out of his Explorers/Flying Vs. Use 10 gauge