hey guys, i'm interested in the buddy guy signature strat, and i see that there a two versions. Is the only difference between them the paintjob and the pickups or is there more to it? Because ones about £400 and the other is about £1000 so i was curious if i bought the cheaper one and but laces in, would it essentially be the same? sorry if its a bit miss-leading but any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers,
Lewis
The Fender Artist Series Buddy Guy Stratocaster Electric Guitar is has a custom-shaped maple neck, light ash body, 25dB boost preamp, 3 Gold Fender-Lace Sensor pickups, vintage tremolo.

The polka dot one has...
Solid alder body. Soft V neck shape. Fender/Gotoh vintage-style tuners. Vintage-style synchronized tremolo. Medium-jumbo frets.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
say the electronics on there own is £200, the polka dot would be about 600 then, is the artist series worth the 400 difference? thanks for the reply
not ever having looked into this exact model, if there's that much of a difference in price, there's a good chance that one's made in the USA (maybe even custom shop), and the other's, er, not (probably mexico?)... and the dearer one is probably "better", and you might not be able to make up all the ground with quick upgrades...

what do you want in a strat, basically? what's your current rig?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i have a couple of guitars and im progressing at guitar so i kinda wanted the next step up if you get me, i play mainly blues, blues/rock and i love strats, i have a spider 3 (don't flame) but im getting a hot rod soon (hopefully)
fender hot rod? you're in the UK, right?

what kind of budget do you have for the guitar and amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your wasting money just on the name. You can buy an american set up to those specs and save a substantial amount.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
yer im in the uk, i have 400/500 for the amp (i think, depends on money i get for certain things) and the guitar is a mystery at the mo because its in accordance with how well i do in exams and birthday and such, so its all guess work at the moment
Quote by modernp
Your wasting money just on the name. You can buy an american set up to those specs and save a substantial amount.

i'd go even further and say avoid fender since we get brutally ripped on them here in the UK.

Quote by Babylou
yer im in the uk, i have 400/500 for the amp (i think, depends on money i get for certain things) and the guitar is a mystery at the mo because its in accordance with how well i do in exams and birthday and such, so its all guess work at the moment

ok, cool. the one thing i'd say is, don't spend more on the guitar than the amp. a mid-priced guitar (with upgraded pickups and other hardware, if necessary) will generally sound better through a more expensive amp than vice-versa.

if it turns out that you have £500 for the guitar, then by all means spend £500 on the amp. However, if it turns out that you have £1000 for the guitar, then consider spending £1000 on the amp and £500 on the guitar (or £800 on the amp and £700 on guitar- at least split it a bit more evenly).

i'd seriously consider other brands to be honest. we get extremely ripped off on fenders here in the UK- for example, guitar centre at the moment is blowing out new USA strats and teles for something like $700 in some sale. Those go for more like £700 here, and one pound will buy you two dollars...

i really like japanese copies- something like an 80s japanese-made tokai goldstar would likely be as good as anything that non-custom shop USA Fender is churning out, and can be picked up on ebay for between the £300-£400 mark. Newer (but still japanese-built, and still very nice, if not just as nice) tokai fender copies can go for not much over £200, especially if they're in a less popular colour. if you're lucky, your local store might have some too. They've started making strat copies again, but they don't look exactly like strats anymore (fender probably threatened to sue...).

Blade strats are pretty nice too, again around the £350 mark (new).

For the amp, again you're getting gipped by fender. The clean channel is really nice, but the overdrive is pretty poor if you ask me. Something like an engl screamer or laney tt combo (somewhere around the £800 mark) would get you almost as nice a clean channel, but vastly superior overdriven tones. That new laney lionheart is very nice for british-style blues and blues rock tones as well, and again is somewhere around the £800 mark. a vox ac30cc can be had for around £600 i think, and an orange rocker 30 is a similar price and worth a look too.

For closer to the fender's price, the laney vc30 can be had for around £300, and again is pretty nice for british blues and blues rock. peavey classic 30 is more like £400, but is nice too (i prefer the laney, but they do sound a bit different, so it's likely preference).

Don't get me wrong, if cleans are your #1 priority, for the price, it's hard to beat those mid-priced fender tube amps. Just if they aren't, there are amps with much better overdrive, and only a bit worse cleans (still nice, just not as nice) for the same price or very slightly more.

it really depends what you need more, to be honest.

I hope that helped a little.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?