Page 1 of 2
so i just read about these drugs in development which are supposed to enhance your memory, learning, planning facilities etc (basically make you smarter).

some of them would help against Alzheimer's and whatnot, but most of the drugs in question would be administered to perfectly healthy people, just to make them smarter. i dont like the idea of giving drugs to people who dont need them - it's like brain steroids.

what are the opinions of the pit on this?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Brain Roids eh....? Thats Fcukd up man, if mark maguire cant do it, neither can bill gates.
I can see it's purpose for things like Alzheimer's. But like you said, it would be used for the wrong purposes. Probably a bad idea. There are too many drugs as it is.
Quote by rodpod91
I can see it's purpose for things like Alzheimer's. But like you said, it would be used for the wrong purposes. Probably a bad idea. There are too many drugs as it is.

that is basically my feeling about it. there is something about this sort of drug which makes you less human.

and then we wouldnt have any stupid people to laugh at

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
^ +1

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
I wonder if you inject it, does it give you a rush of 'smartness'? Or if you snort it, does the 'knowledge' hit you harder?
yeah, it will probably make you impotent.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Why would enhanced brain development stunt your creativity? If they made a one-time pill that would enable you to think and reach conclusions faster and increase your capability to remember things, what possible logical reason would there be not to take it?
Quote by Harwood
Why would enhanced brain development stunt your creativity? If they made a one-time pill that would enable you to think and reach conclusions faster and increase your capability to remember things, what possible logical reason would there be not to take it?

it's not natural, and it's not necessary.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock

That doesn't explain how it stunts creativity, and plenty of things aren't natural.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
It sounds good. Chances are, it will have terrible side effects, as people have said before me.

Most likely paranoia and depression. It seems like most drugs cause that. I would see no reason for this one to be any different.

It sounds like a good concept though, let's hope that they will continue making this drug.

Well, maybe not a drug for everyday people, but I hope it's created for those who actually have Alzheimers.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I can't wait to pop a Mentat!

Cookies up for grabs.

Fallout FTW.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by chillrock
Neither are my boxers.

You want me to take em off and sit here naked on my unnatural chair in my unnatural house at my unnatural computer while drinking water out my unnatural glass?

In a minute I'm taking a shower in my unnatural ....shower.
Quote by Bubban
That doesn't explain how it stunts creativity, and plenty of things aren't natural.

but at some point everyone would have equal intelligence, and human interaction would be less interesting. and then the high-end jobs which require tons of training and skills would see falls in salary, so fewer people would want to become, say, a doctor or lawyer, because there would be tons more people to compete with. its a tricky thing to predict.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
that is basically my feeling about it. there is something about this sort of drug which makes you less human.

and then we wouldnt have any stupid people to laugh at

Smart people can have humor too.
i'm guessing alot more research has yet to be done on these sorts of things, and these pills don't work a tenth as well as they'll advertise. learning, and thinking are fairly individual processes i would have said. i'm guessing this is more market hype like those multi vitamins that are "proven to help your brain" that are targeted towards mothers with kids in school that they worry about.
Quote by chillrock
but at some point everyone would have equal intelligence, and human interaction would be less interesting. and then the high-end jobs which require tons of training and skills would see falls in salary, so fewer people would want to become, say, a doctor or lawyer, because there would be tons more people to compete with. its a tricky thing to predict.

Who said EVERYONE was going to take it?

It doesn't matter how smart you are, creativity cannot be stunted by mental capacity.

It only lets you use bigger, cooler sounding words.

There are other characteristics of a human being other than intelligence. You have motivation, personality, creativity, physical attributes, emotions.

The drug only affects your intelligence. It does not confrom us, it makes us smarter.
i like stick to natural stuff, u know the herb, that sh*t just sounds insane, i mean i wana know whos makin it and there motives, there r some right weird ppl about. btw cookie monster ROCKS
Last edited by skilly1 at May 25, 2008,
when it wears off, won't you feel like, really dumb? you can't focus as well unless you pop another? exactly why it is a bad idea.
Quote by DesertRockerX10
what's next? A drug that makes people LESS smart so they can make every1 be on the same level? Sounds like a nice little liberal plot to me, "every1 is equal and now we can PROVE it!" lol. It's not wise to mess with that stuff, people were born the way they were for a reason. (by the way I'm not ultra conservative, I think both conservatives and liberals are equally foolish)

...how is that liberal? If anything it's the opposite.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
wasnt that wat pcp was supposed to do when it was invented?
Keep Strong Grundy

Quote by metaldud536
Milkshakes. They bring the boys to the yard.

Quote by humperdunk
OWNED
Quote by bendystraw
when it wears off, won't you feel like, really dumb? you can't focus as well unless you pop another? exactly why it is a bad idea.

This.

Unless it could somehow permanently alter your brain chemistry in such a manner.

...and now that I think about it, THAT would be a bad idea too.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
they're called nootropics, they aren't in "development," there's already dozens of drugs out there used to increase cognitive functions. and what's wrong with that?
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
Would you kindly not use those drugs to greatly enhance your body and mind? ...anyone?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at May 25, 2008,
Quote by severed-metal
Who said EVERYONE was going to take it?

It doesn't matter how smart you are, creativity cannot be stunted by mental capacity.

It only lets you use bigger, cooler sounding words.

There are other characteristics of a human being other than intelligence. You have motivation, personality, creativity, physical attributes, emotions.

The drug only affects your intelligence. It does not confrom us, it makes us smarter.

Lol one of the funniest things i've read today.

The drug wouldn't make you smarter all the sudden (like knowing new words that sound cool) They would increase your brain capacity. You still have to work to learn. You can just remember more and draw better conclusions. Just like body steroids don't make you stronger they only make you able to be stronger. If you don't work out it will all turn turn fat. Without learning the drugs wouldn't work.
Page 1 of 2