Page 1 of 2
Who else thinks genres were created by the media to classify something (music) that is almost impossible to classify? Music is an endless sense of free expression and feeling. Genres seek to limit that. They seek to put that in a niche or hole and say this is that. Well, it might not be this or that. So, I say genres are BS!

Who else feels the same?
Nobody.

You are wrong.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Genres are made to help listeners find music that they like........people do over-do the whole genre thing though....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I hate the way that people say, "<Band> isn't <Genre>. They're <Slightvariationongenrename/style>."

This is especially true within metal (I'm a metalhead). This elitist classification bull**** is so much crap.

For an example of this, see <Name>Core. I hate 'core' genres - what the hell is 'core' supposed to mean, anyway.

Never mind my rant, this is a pet hate. :P
if a group of techniques, tones, structures etc....work well together and many bands use them sounding int he same net....why not make them a genre ?....just ignore the media calling things by a genre,

Fall out boy is classed at rock in some peoples minds.....i call it pansy rock pop.

just ignore the silly ones who class stuff wrongly.
Considering your tag says "Heavy Metal Guitarist"...isn't heavy metal a genre?

I call hypocrite!
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
If genres didn't exist then it would be almost impossible to have a coherant conversation about music. Admittedly many bands try to adhere to rules, and sub genres can go a bit far; but they're not that bad tbh.
Genres are a rough classification and nothing else.

No indie band has ever hit an E power chord and said "Shit! that's a metal thing! better not use that!"

It limits nothing.
Quote by Mazzakazza
I hate the way that people say, "<Band> isn't <Genre>. They're <Slightvariationongenrename/style>."

This is especially true within metal (I'm a metalhead). This elitist classification bull**** is so much crap.

For an example of this, see <Name>Core. I hate 'core' genres - what the hell is 'core' supposed to mean, anyway.

Never mind my rant, this is a pet hate. :P

Core normally indicates hardcore traits or influences.

I.e. Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore
Deathcore = Death Metal + Hardcore

Simple.
Quote by DefectedFromGod
Considering your tag says "Heavy Metal Guitarist"...isn't heavy metal a genre?

I call hypocrite!

good point.

he uses genre's him self
even though burzum and iron maiden are classed as metal, they sound completely different. there does some sort of organising towards different types of bands.
TS, go away
genres are just like....well any other form of category, and they just make it easier to find music.
stop posting stuff youve googled.
no offense.
Quote by Garden_Of_Light

Simple.

My point was, the suffix itself is retarded.
Quote by Metallist65
Who else thinks genres were created by the media to classify something (music) that is almost impossible to classify? Music is an endless sense of free expression and feeling. Genres seek to limit that. They seek to put that in a niche or hole and say this is that. Well, it might not be this or that. So, I say genres are BS!

Who else feels the same?

ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Genres are awesome and help you classify the music.
Would you rather have "Coldplay" and "Cannibal Corpse" in the same category?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Metallist65

Who else feels the same?

They were invented by the record labels, but for distribution purposes. When I go shopping for a Miley Cyrus album, I don't want to stumble upon Canibal Corpse, or any other genre. It's just people who take them too seriously that piss me off.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
[truth]

Quote by duncang
Nobody.

You are wrong.

[/truth]

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Sometimes it gets a bit much with all the genres. But they are still useful to help someone find music they will enjoy.
Quote by Garden_Of_Light

Simple.

+1

genres are terms used to describe what the music sounds like just like theory is a bunch or terms used to describe what is happening in a certain piece of music.

Neither are rules or absolute definitions.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Broken_Drum
People will always try and classify music, genres are useful for finding bands of a similar style. It's a bands own fault if they aren't diverse enough to escape being pigeon-holed.

Exactly. I couldn't care less about genres, but they do help you find music you may be interested in, instead of wading through pools of unclassified bands that are of no interest to you.

What I dislike far more than genres, labeling, Fallout Boy, or anything of the like, are the people who feel this incessant need to bitch about how there's no good music, or today's music scene sucks, radios are evil, genres are evil, etc. Get over it. You're not profound; you're not going to make a broad, ridiculous statement like "Genres suck!" or "Modern music is ****!" and then have everyone rally behind you like you're some fucking messiah.
Far too many threads like this.
DOWN&OUT
Sorry people want to just have a one click feature to music searching...

It wouldn't make sense when looking for new music in genres you currently like if they were all jumbled up so that after Linkin Park you came across The ****muffins Hail Satan's Live!!! album.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by Mazzakazza

it's entirely justified.

why wouldn't you have it there?

what's stupid is the instant hate that it provokes.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by hazzmatazz
No, the media creates stereotypes, and that pisses me off.

I wouldn't call it a "stereotype." It's just a way of sorting similar sounding music.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by Lemoninfluence

yeah...

I have judged people myself in the past if they said all they listen to is Heavy Metal....
But within heavy metal bands there so many songs that are not typically metal.

Its hard not to. he was wearing a black hoodie with black nail varnish.

But i thought they didnt have taste in music.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Exactly. I couldn't care less about genres, but they do help you find music you may be interested in, instead of wading through pools of unclassified bands that are of no interest to you.

What I dislike far more than genres, labeling, Fallout Boy, or anything of the like, are the people who feel this incessant need to bitch about how there's no good music, or today's music scene sucks, radios are evil, genres are evil, etc. Get over it. You're not profound; you're not going to make a broad, ridiculous statement like "Genres suck!" or "Modern music is ****!" and then have everyone rally behind you like you're some fucking messiah.
Far too many threads like this.

Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Mazzakazza

If you think that then you are as plain stupid as you are ignorant to genres.
duncang won this thread from reply 1.
Bye now.
Quote by GrissomFan
yeah...

I have judged people myself in the past if they said all they listen to is Heavy Metal....
But within heavy metal bands there so many songs that are not typically metal.

Its hard not to. he was wearing a black hoodie with black nail varnish.

But i thought they didnt have taste in music.

If someone likes music then they have a taste in music.
Genres are a useful way to group music by style; as pretty much all bands have a style that can be considered similar to at least a few other groups.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it's entirely justified.

why wouldn't you have it there?

+*insanely large number*

That's the #1 thing I don't understand about people and the way they look at genres.

The SECOND they see "-core", they write it off as a lame band, or it's somehow not as relevant as another genre.

I've saw countless occasions here on UG when someone seems to be personally offended when they're told one of their favorite bands is a "-core" band, and that it's somehow causing them physical pain to know they aren't the genre they thought they were.

It's especially true with metal. If you tell someone that their favorite band isn't metal, they flip out, as if being metal adds some sort of layer of awesome to the band, and makes them more amazing just for being so.

It's insane.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Broken_Drum
How- Because it's overused? Remember that the prefix '-metal' has been thrown around a lot too.

Actually a prefix would look like "metal-" not "-metal" and I fail to see where it's used other than in metalcore.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Broken_Drum
If someone likes music then they have a taste in music.

not a specific taste though, ..its a saying as well isnt it ?...it doesn't mean its logical.....maybe its a figure of speech.

When you see a metallica album classed as 'heavy metal'....i dont think "nothing else matters" is heavy metal.
Troll much?

I dislike genres in that people give **** to you for labelling, say, In Flames as Death Metal as opposed to Melodic Death Metal, but in saying that, I'm hypocritical as I refuse to have a genre as either just Metal or Rock, I go into specifications when it comes to organising.
Quote by Reject_666_6
Actually a prefix would look like "metal-" not "-metal" and I fail to see where it's used other than in metalcore.

+1

also, people are saying that its bad when bands sound similar, well what if EVERY band tried to sound 100% unique. It would be sh*te, absolute sh*te. Eventually music would just become White noise, much like the band "Battles" look them up on youtube, if this is what music has become, comupter generated crap, then i am losing faith.
i too would like to express my distaste at the music industry's use of genres. lets stick it to the man!

but seriously, it just makes life easier - although it is sometimes hard to find bands that some stores put in Metal and some put in Pop/Rock.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2