How many tracks can the Lexicon Lambda recording interface record simultaneously?

Hey Guys,

How many separate tracks can the Lexicon Lambda recording interface record simultaneously?

Thanks.
Quote by LeftyDave
Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive? Same with guitars.

Now if it were only so easy with women! "I think I'll take her for a spin tonight" lol
generally usb interfaces cant transfer any more than 2 mono tracks at one time...or a single stereo track.

If you want to transfer more tracks in one take...like to track drums or record a live band youll want to go with firewire.

be aware that the Lexicon Lambda is a 1.1 usb connection as well compared to the faster USB 2.0
Quote by moody07747
generally usb interfaces cant transfer any more than 2 mono tracks at one time...or a single stereo track.

If you want to transfer more tracks in one take...like to track drums or record a live band youll want to go with firewire.

be aware that the Lexicon Lambda is a 1.1 usb connection as well compared to the faster USB 2.0

Ok, woops, I actually meant to ask about the Lexicon Omega, not Lambda. However, they are both USB 1.1

Anyways, take a look at this for the Omega:
The Omega I/O mixer provides 8 inputs that are assignable in pairs to any of 4 simultaneous record channels featuring ultratransparent, high-resolution analog-to-digital converters to capture your performance with pristine 24-bit quality. 2 of the inputs feature extremely low-noise dbx mic-preamps with 48V phantom power and TRS insert points. 4 TRS active balanced line inputs accept up to +22dBu signals to allow interfacing to either unbalanced or professional high-output level-balanced equipment. Included is an S/PDIF input combined with an additional DAC for zero-latency, direct monitoring of the S/PDIF source to allow simultaneous tracking of analog and digital sources.

Now, I am a little confused as to what this means. Does this mean:
1. You can record from all 8 inputs at once and record to 4 separate tracks of which you assigned in pairs?
OR
2. Does this mean that you can only record from 4 of the 8 inputs at a time?

Thanks.
Quote by LeftyDave

Now if it were only so easy with women! "I think I'll take her for a spin tonight" lol
At the top in the back of the interface are 4 line inputs.
These can be tracked separately from what I've read but when it comes to the mic inputs, you can only track two of those at a time and while you are tracking those the other inputs may mix down if used at the same time.

You cannot track any more than 4 inputs + MIDI at one time with this interface and you must use the 4 line inputs at the top to do this.

For $200 theres the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface and when docked you get plenty of inputs and outputs as well as great sounding preamps. I would tend to want to go with this interface instead of the Lexicon...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 25, 2008,
Ok, so this interface can record 4 inputs to four separate tracks then?

EDIT: I remember hearing something about that Mackie Onyx Satellite before. Can't it only record from two inputs at a time though or something like that?
Quote by LeftyDave

Last edited by AhrenBa at May 25, 2008,
I cant say much about how the mackie works as ive only had a chance to work with it at a GC for a few minutes and could not test many of hte inputs other than the main XLRs.

As for the other unit yes you can only record 4 mono tracks at one time and it should keep them seperate.

I dont think the mackie should have any problems with the docking base inputs. You should be able to feed a lot of audio into different inputs and keep it separate.
Ok, just another quick question.

When they say that an interface is "8 channels", what exactly does the channel mean? Is each input a channel?

What do you look for to see if it can track each "channel" separately?
Quote by LeftyDave

Usually firewire interface will be able to keep a lot of tracks seperate which is why interfaces like the PreSonus Firestudio Project are firewire.

I think channel refers to the inputs it has but it doesnt mean it can keep 8 inputs seperate when it tracks them all at one time.

Most of the time USB interfaces will mix down before getting to the computer which isnt great for editing.
Ok, cool. That makes sense.

So, what specification should I look for which tells me that it can record multiple tracks simultaneously?

EDIT: And about that Mackie unit:
"8 inputs (2 active at any time) for connection of microphones, line sources, and instruments"

Does that mean it can only accept signal from 2 inputs at a time? If so, then that means it doesn't even mix the other inputs down does it? It just means that you can only use 2 of the 8 inputs at a time???
Quote by LeftyDave

Last edited by AhrenBa at May 25, 2008,
Here are the 8 inputs (it's sneaky):

2 when undocked
2 microphone preamps
4 line inputs

The last two are when docked. Now, what are you going to plug into these interfaces? If you have synths and keyboards, line inputs are fine. If you want microphones, then you may want something with lots of XLR inputs.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Don't be confused, USB 1.1 in this situation is better than USB 2.0, feel free to look it up. Firewire is recommended though.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Quote by HellBent1337
Don't be confused, USB 1.1 in this situation is better than USB 2.0, feel free to look it up. Firewire is recommended though.

Woah, USB 1.1 is better than 2.0 for this? Why? Could you explain? Thanks.
Quote by LeftyDave