I was wondering if the ESP/LTD EX-400 is a good guitar for the price, or if there is a better choice between $400 and $650 for playing metal (I am into Death, Dethklok, Amon Amarth, Nightrage, Morbid Angel, The Absence, Celtic Frost, most Death Metal)
It's a great guitar, if I had enough I'd definitely get it. Also what amp are you playing through?
Go for the EX-400, I've an EX-50 and I quite like it. Not as good as the Epiphone, but I'm not into amazing amounts of metal. But for what your into it should sound pretty awesome.
Gear:

Ex-50

Epiphone Les Paul

Marshal MG30DFX
That guitar kicks major amounts of ass for the money
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Right now I have a Line 6 Spider III, only 15 watts, but I plan on getting something better before next year.
Well please do so, cause the EMGs kinda sound ****ty through the spiders. Trust me, I was trying out the guitar and in Steve's music store, the only amps you can find are spiders.
Would Crate or Randall be good choices? I know each of those have a halfstack for about $500
Quote by cloud5975
Would Crate or Randall be good choices? I know each of those have a halfstack for about $500

I have the Randall RH150G3 halfstack AND IT KICKS SERIOUS ASS!!!

simply love it to death

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
You don't really need a halfstack man. And don't go solid state. Are you going to be gigging? Also what's your budget for the amp?
Sometime in the future, but not for a while. What combo would you recommend?
if your just going to be practing in your bedroom SS would be ok, but then you could just stay w. your spider, if your gonna be gigging look at a randall RG50, Peavey Valveking, Used 6505 combo (prob too big) and if you want a ss amp look at line6 flextones.

those are all more than big enough to gig w., will get some awesome tones, and not break your back carrying a 412

Edit: or even if you want a randall and want SS for some reason, get the 212 combo mentioned below.
Quote by cloud5975

You can get a halfway decent Crate half stack, a decent Randall half stack, or a really good Randall 2x12 combo (RG100G3) for the same/similar price(s)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
For $560 you could get a Randall RG50TC, its a tube combo 50watts, good for metal. I have the FX-400 and it is pretty good. It doesn't sound that great through my MG100DFX probably because the EMG solid state combo doesn't sound good. As a guitar though it is built very nicely and I got a great deal on mine. It's great for the money.
By the way I also play Dethklok, and it sounds alright.
Last edited by MorgMetal_666 at May 27, 2008,
Thank you everyone for your assistance and advice, I am now convinced that buying an EX-400 AND a Randall RG50TC will be well worth my money.