Ok, I have a few questions about different pieces of music theory.

First of all, I've heard that different modes have different tonality. What exactly does this mean? Aren't all the modes made up of the same notes, just moved up in octvaes as you advance up the fretboard?

Secondly, how you would you go about properly notating chords such as these, which are from Dust in the Wind(going from 6th string to first string) x32030 and x32000 or x02200 and x02230. Are both of these chords simply named C or A minor, if not, what chords are they? In general, how do you go about notating chords when you take a chord and add on notes from the mode scales?

For example, one song i wrote contains these chords:

G- xx000x
?- xx001x/xx0013
C- xx201x
?- xx2013

The progression goes like this:

G (xx000x), G (xx0003), ? (xx001x), ? (xx0013), C (xx201x), ? (xx2013)

How would I name the chords in this?
Right well I'll anser the first one:

Saying different modes have different tonalities is vague, as essentially modes are atonal (are not distinctly dominantly major or minor).

Basically, there are 6 modes (excluding locrian as it is not used much). Each mode contains different notes, due to the sequence of intervals that make up the mode. Here are the 6 modes and the interval steps that make them. By knowing the intervals and knowing the position of the mode, you can find which notes are in a certain mode starting on a certain note.

Ionian - WWHWWWH
Dorian - WHWWWHW <<< See how this is just the first sequence of intervals but moved along one interval to the right. This continues with the other modes.
Phrygian - HWWWHWW
Lydian - WWWHWWH
Mixolydian - WWHWWHW
Aeolian - WHWWHWW
And for sake of argument, Locrian - HWWHWWW

And then you're back to Ionian again and the first sequence of intervals.

Also, The root position of ionian is C, dorian is D, phrygian is E, and so on. This does NOT mean that the ionian mode can only start on C, as anyone can see that the ionian mode is in fact a major key.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Your second question, the chords you've put are rooted in Cmajor and Aminor, but have additional notes added on as well as suspended (the first one is Cadd9 I believe, and the last two are Asus2 and Asus4). Just find what notes you're using and work it out from there.
Last edited by Rock God #1 at May 25, 2008,
1. Modes are always composed of the same notes as their relative scale - that is what makes them modes rather than distinctive scales.
However...
Play A B C D E F G A. Sounds dark, doesn't it?
Play C D E F G A B C. Sounds light, doesn't it?
voila. same notes, different sound. It's all about what the origin tone you're playing around is, and the context in which you play.
Hence, different modes have different tonality.
A aeolian and C Ionian and D Dorian and so forth will always have the same notes, but will always always ALWAYS sound different.

2. before I can even begin to answer how to name chords with you, you have to confirm to me you know how to name intervals... otherwise I'd just be wasting my time. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!