Just tried to crank my little giant on the 3 watt setting, and the neighbours came down to complain within 1 minute :P

and on the 5 watt setting i cant even get it to overdrive at all before it gets louder than the 3 watt crank,

and the bad monkey sound really bad in my ears at lower volumes, so the only thing i can play with now is the blackstar pedal or the amp clean

so im now wondering if you got any tips on a good attenuator that does not make the tone crappy ?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

+1^
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Head phones!!

Edit: I'm hoping I got the right end of the stick there, I read the post very quickly
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
Your neighbours are a bunch of twAts. Tell em to shove it.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
i know this is sort of hijacking the thread but is this a good amp? do you need a cab to make it work?
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Guitar hero quote:

Wjen your neighbours are complaining about the noise, Turn It up! until they move away.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Weber MicroMASS
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hey quick question on attentuators in general really if the attentuator says 25 watts does that mean it can only handle an amp 25 w and lower?
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by TempoTantrum
i know this is sort of hijacking the thread but is this a good amp? do you need a cab to make it work?

that black box isnt an amp its an attentuator

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Quote by strat212
hey quick question on attentuators in general really if the attentuator says 25 watts does that mean it can only handle an amp 25 w and lower?
Quote by TedWeber
You should select an attenuator that can handle at least as much power as your amp puts out.

Amplifiers are generally designed to operate clean, and most manufacturers specify the output power as clean power. When you run the amp full blast, the output devices actually become more efficient because distortion is not considered. Under those conditions, the amp may be capable of putting out as much as 50% more power than its rated clean power. Be aware of that when choosing an attenuator, because the idea of using an attenuator is to run the amp full blast into power tube distortion and then controlling the level going to the speaker. If you are going to dime a 50 watt amp, you should choose a 100 watt attenuator.
These go to eleven...
Quote by stef123
Your neighbours are a bunch of twAts. Tell em to shove it.

Yeah, honestly. Unless you live in an apartment building, they're a bunch of pussies for complaining about 5 watts.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
lol ^ ya

If I play in my garage with the door open cranking an amp with the whole p.a. - drums and crap going no one ever comes complaining..

they can't do crap until after like 10 or 11 PM.

they do just as bad to by leaving their dogs outside all day and barking constantly.

so no harm
if they don't like it.. they can move.
yea my neighbours su*k , havent talked to them since i moved in, first day i drilled in the wall to put up my tv, and then they also came down to complain :P

where can i get one of those weber ? some online store that ship in europe?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

thanks man. I was kinda thinking about that RMS rating factor too.

But what about the "Hot Plate" and others I've seen that don't appear to have a wattage rating? Do they just handle pretty much as much wattage as you can throw at it?

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Sound proof the room, no such thing as too loud.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Cathedral
Sound proof the room, no such thing as too loud.

i'm sure it'd be easier and cheaper to get an attenuator.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by strat212
But what about the "Hot Plate" and others I've seen that don't appear to have a wattage rating?
They do. They just only mention it in small print in the manual. As the max is 185W RMS, it'll cover the majority of amplifiers, I think.
These go to eleven...
brotha i feel sorry for ya. that's a big reason why i'll never live in a big city or in a neigborhood that all the houses are super close together. i can already tell the kinda neighbor's you have and i would tell them to stop being such douches....

keep in mind that an attenuator will mean you have to replace ur tubes a lil more frequently lol. buy in BULK!!!

i get to crank mine w/ no complaining neighbors thank god...i get to crank my 50 watt tube w/o any complaints too lol. hope it all works out
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^^^ Me too... Lived int he country and would have it not other way... What 50 watt do you have? I have the Traynor Iand I crank it too... Just got to make sure my daughter is far aways though.. LOL

To TS, you should look into the Weber attenuator's I hear they are very good. The guys at Eurotubes sell them (I think) so you could probally get a better deal with shipping if you also wanted to get some JJ tubes. (cause thats all they sell JJ)

The bad monkey is also an option, its great for pushing the tubes, but I dont mind the sound I get when I turn up the gain and play at low volumes. Still very decent.
Quote by Blompcube

It won't look nearly as a funky as having trippy carpets hanging over the walls.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Cathedral
It won't look nearly as a funky as having trippy carpets hanging over the walls.

i guess, depends whether the TS wants trippy carpets or just lower volume. btw, i think it was the machine that goes BING! not PING!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I live an an apartment with a 50 watter. I mostly try to use the acoustic, but nobody bitches with the electric.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by Blompcube

I dunno, mate. A good attenuator is $300ish, right? Depends on the size of the room...but yeah, there's probably a better option. Like...an SS amp with a headphone out.
Well, he has a 5 watt amp, so a weber micro mass (like 80 bucks) would be good for him.
The Micromass is rated at 15 watts I believe.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
how can your neighbours complain if it';s not past 11 o clock... in my city, you can make as much noise as you want as long as it's before 11pm
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by vigenharutyunya
eh yr neighbors suck.... get a strong amp... 100 wats... max the volume... and play with "souls" of distortion.... they die, you're free... you play anything you want

Or, you could try not being an inconsiderate prick and play quietly when people are in.

Quote by Sonicxlover
Yeah, honestly. Unless you live in an apartment building, they're a bunch of pussies for complaining about 5 watts.

See above.

Quote by danyellenik
how can your neighbours complain if it';s not past 11 o clock... in my city, you can make as much noise as you want as long as it's before 11pm

Legally you can, but, again, playing loud and not considering others would make you a prick.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^
You can be my neighbor any time.

Quote by esp1234
if your 5 watt was THAT loud. How would 30 watts be
Almost 8 dB louder.
10 dB is twice as loud, so the 30 watts would be less than twice as loud.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at May 25, 2008,
my neighbors have never complained at all. even when i crank my dual rec. i guess im just lucky
We play in a place called "The Chicken Shack." It's awesome. It's an eggroom of an old chicken house, and no one lives within a mile of the place. It's almost impossible to break into also, so it makes me feel safe to leave heavy stuff that I don't want to load up every time I leave.

To the TS. It's nice you're considerate. My vote goes to whatever Darkarbiter says. Him, Gabel, and SomeoneYouKnew are all very knowledgeable.
to strangcov, i've got a Randall RM50 i have to send it to Raliegh here in NC to get it repaired tho...

but by end of summer it should be all good
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
while the little giant can get decently loud, its not really that loud. i turn mine up to around 7 all the time. not as often in my appt (mostly cause im busy then), but at home i do all the time. while it may be loud, as long as you turn it up mid day or before 8 or 9 just tell them to suck it up. being considerate is one thing, but being unreasonable is another.

i dont think the amp gets unreasonably loud for an appt, so just let your neighbors know that you will play at a louder volume at certain times then turn it down/off when it gets to be late. let them know you are allowed to do so by law (making sure your landlord doesnt have any other rules first) and tell them you will try to be accomodating within reason. life is about compromises, so dont be the one to give everything up.
Man thats pussy. Attenuating a 5 watt amp. Just play and **** your neighboors. Seriously dude.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Blompcube
i guess, depends whether the TS wants trippy carpets or just lower volume. btw, i think it was the machine that goes BING! not PING!

Ah very well, you have the machine that goes "Bing!"; very good indeed.