Just out of curiosty, how many of you mute the high e string when playing the A shaped barre chord and how many of you let it ring out? I personally mute it because I think it sounds better and since the second string is the third of the chord I think it sounds more strong to end on that note. What do you guys prefer?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
i play it, i like high notes in my chords. Though, ocassionally i play the non-bared notes which just my third finger which sometimes mutes it.

Poll, perhaps?
Quote by radiantmoon
Just out of curiosty, how many of you mute the high e string when playing the A shaped barre chord and how many of you let it ring out? I personally mute it because I think it sounds better and since the second string is the third of the chord I think it sounds more strong to end on that note. What do you guys prefer?

I generally mute it, unless I specifically want that 5th on top.
Depends on the sound I want
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by bangoodcharlote

-x-
-7-
-7-
-7-
-5-
---

That's how I play a D chord. I barre the 7s with my ring finger and fret 5 with my index finger.

Thats exactly how I play it, I think it sounds rhythmically stronger.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I would let it ring out, but I can't, lol. For example, if I'm doing a D major, I'll barre the 5th fret with my first finger and barre the 7th for the A shape with my third finger. Problem is, my third finger mutes the high E string...
Quote by TheShadow
I would let it ring out, but I can't, lol. For example, if I'm doing a D major, I'll barre the 5th fret with my first finger and barre the 7th for the A shape with my third finger. Problem is, my third finger mutes the high E string...

use three fingers on the 7th fret like you would if you where playing an open A chord.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Barre chords take a lot of practise to do perfectly and, though some people prefer to do it with the mute I would still suggest learning to do it without muting. Teaching your fingers to barre chord can be incredibly helpful and you should never turn down something that could help when playing guitar.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
use three fingers on the 7th fret like you would if you where playing an open A chord.

Unfortunately, my fingers don't stretch that much, and it hurts too much to do like that =b. It doesn't sound too unlike it without the high e string, and 'A minor' shapes are fine.
Quote by TheShadow
Unfortunately, my fingers don't stretch that much, and it hurts too much to do like that =b. It doesn't sound too unlike it without the high e string, and 'A minor' shapes are fine.

unless you have small hands you should be able to get your fingers to do the stretch if you practice it, and doing wide stretches is definitely worth practicing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it just depends. I don't think too much about it, My palm rest on the
bridge and it'll roll accrodling, I guess. Sometimes my pinky will find
it's way to anchoring the little E string.

Here's the con...
On a floating Whammy I have to pay more attention
becuase resting my palm on the bridge will alter the pitch and make
me play slightly out of tune sometimes.